I use tap water

fishtanker

Originally posted by ReefMad
what type of xenia is this?

Its Anthellia, waving hand.
Nice tank, the Bubble looks good

snailheave

I use tap water too. Actually I use mixed RO/tap water, but high tap water ratio. My untreated tap water has no Chloramine or chlorine, nor phosphate but i treat it anyway.

ams153

you both have extremly nice tanks and you guys have a lot of nice things growin in them they look great good job
Andrew

debbie

Great looking tanks :yes:
I have never owned nor will I own a test kit for my nano or 25 gal freshwater tank. I have kept and bred many freshwater fish in my 20 years of this hobby. Salt water is new to me and I am having fun with my nano. No desire to go bigger, I have mushrooms popping up I swear everyday, nice big feather duster and several small ones. Xenia is ailing a bit due to my camelback shrimp :mad: He just might find his way to the store soon.
Keep up the good work looks awesome

reefmad

hello debbie hope all is well i lost yr email so i didnt keep in touch and been real busy around here. hows yr tank coming along?

debbie

Hi, all is fine with my nano. The only problem is my camelback shrimp I think. He seems to have taken a great interest in my xenia and my new large feather duster. I am going to phone the LFS today to see if I can trade him in for a peppermint if they are reef safe or something else. Little buggar :mad:
Your tank is just spectacular
:yes:
I have decided to not go bigger as I really love my freshwater. I have a 25 gal running and just bought a beautifu Discus. Love these fish and have always wanted one. I have not added anymore rock to my nano, I should add another piece or two but don't know if I am going to keep it going for sure yet. I love the marine tanks they are just stunning but find more interest in my freshwater for some reason. I think that if you set up a 55 gal in marine now that would be eye catching and eye catching on the pocket book too :eek:
We pay dearly here in Canada for all marine stuff, it is all shipped in and has that wopping price tag added to it. I would be evicted if I started to order off the internet which I would not do anyways. Hubby would not like that to much :yes:
Thanks for your pics of your tank, keep in touch.... Debbie

bang guy

Originally posted by schneidts
I was going to say Anthelia sp. What is the difference? They are very similar.

Clavularia can completely retract its polyps until only the closed heads of each calyx can be seen. Anthellia can deflate its polyps but you can still see the tentacles as they cannot be withdrawn completely into the calyx.

tony detroit

I know a local guy that runs a 55gal SPS off a fuge and, kalk and a skimmer that has colors and growth that are very impressive.
I couldn't believe he was using tapwater for the colors and growth he has. Maybe the plants helped him out, I dunno, but he has a very nice tank.

bang guy

Kalk will precipitate all heavy metals including Phosphate. It definately will purify water when used properly. Algae also helps I'm sure.

ross

Originally posted by ReefMad
VERY NICE TANK !! Ross

Thanks man you have a nice tank too!

shawnts106

Yes that Specific Gravity need so come up to 1.025... that is the oceans SPG... thats also MINE.... as far as what kind of xenia that is... as far as I know that LOOKS to be a type of PipeOrgan coral... Ive got a 5 by 5 inch nice 3 layered peice growing in my tank that was ORIGINALLY only ONE single polyp!!!!!!... They are really great corals ... they have a very dark RED base and the white or sometimes green polyps... awsome corals to have!!!

reefmad

wELL OVER THE MONTH PAST I HAVE SLOWY BUMPED SALT TO .28 AND HAVE ADDED A FLAME ANGEL I HAVE NOTICED A LITTLE OF THE PINK CORALINE ALGAE ON THE ROCKS TOP SURFACES ONLY., LOSING SOME OF THE RICH DARK PINK COLOR HAVENT DONE AMYTHING DIFFERENT OTHER THAN SLOWLY ADDING MORE SALT WHEN DOING WEEKLY CHANGES. JUST WONDERING IF ANY IDEAS.?
ALL ELSE WELL TOOK PIECE OF 5 HEAD FROGSPAWN, RED MUSHROOM ROCK AND ROCK OF ANTHELLIA, TO LOCAL PETSTORE AND TRADED FOR A GREEN TORCH SO I THOUGHT THIS WAS COOL SINCE THESE CORALS GREW AND MULTIPLIED OVER THE LAST 2 YRS.

tru conch

ross and reefmad, you both have som nice tanks! where i live the tap water has a ton of crap in it (chlorine, phosphates, other metals, etc) so i use ro/di. thanks for sharing your pics!