I'M PROTECTED....YAYYYYY

meowzer

OK...I bought 2 of these,

They are now placed behind the 225G and all but 1 item is working thru it.....I decided it would be too hard to get behind the equipment for my husband to install the plugs....so got these
we have a single one running the new 28G nano cube
and next week when we are both off, we will change out the plug ins that are reachable, and now run the 54G, 10G, and 29G
It's a BIG start
and For $24 each....WELL WORTH IT

monsinour

GFCI outlet makers. They work great for outlets you cant reach to change out. Maybe, just maybe, Sparty will see this and get a few.

rdub62

Just an extension? Looks like it is suppose to ground out electricity? Guess I'll ask my dear friend google.

monsinour

GFCI act like little circut breakers. If the outlet senses a fault, they trip and prevent any electricity from going though the outlets. Basically, the circut breakers in your breaker box are too slow and dont always trip when you get the outlet wet accidentally. You could not only fry yourself, but your fish if your surge protector or whatever it is you use to run your system get wet accidentally without a GFCI outlet. If you cannot reach the outlet to replace it, those "extention cords" with the built in GFCI circutry built in, will do the job nicely.
GFCI outlet 15A : $19.99
Those cords : $24
Keeping yourself and your fish alive in case of an accident : priceless

bang guy

Any electricians in the house?
A regular GFCI will protect all of the circuits in the same line downstream. Will these extension cord types also protect other circuits or just the one it's plugged in to?
With a regular GCFI outlet you don't need to reach the outlet you need to protect necessarily, just one between it and the circuit box on that line.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy#post_3366616
A regular GFCI will protect all of the circuits in the same line downstream. Will these extension cord types also protect other circuits or just the one it's plugged in to?
With a regular GCFI outlet you don't need to reach the outlet you need to protect necessarily, just one between it and the circuit box on that line.
Probably whatever is just plugged into that cord.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy#post_3366616
HMMM....I am guessing just what is plugged into it

BUT In my case...I have just about everything running from them now (except 1 thing) LOL..and this is just the 225G

flower

Good move! It' such an easy fix to protect your life and maybe the tank critters too.

2quills

Yep, it's what ever is plugged into it. It won't do anything for the actual circuit it's on if water hits that outlet. Meow, is the outlet under the 225 on it's own individual circuit?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy#post_3366624
Yep, it's what ever is plugged into it. It won't do anything for the actual circuit it's on if water hits that outlet. Meow, is the outlet under the 225 on it's own individual circuit?
YES...I actually have 4 behind the tank...and they are all their own circuits.....Placement was not well thought out though.....never knew about sumps and all the equip that would be involved with this hobby
I also have a 4 plug in next to teh 54G that is on it's own circuit....we will be changing that to the gfci outlets Fri or saturday

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy#post_3366626
YES...I actually have 4 behind the tank...and they are all their own circuits.....Placement was not well thought out though.....never knew about sumps and all the equip that would be involved with this hobby
I also have a 4 plug in next to teh 54G that is on it's own circuit....we will be changing that to the gfci outlets Fri or saturday
10/4: Well those cords should be the next best thing for ya then. Could probably save yourself a few bucks by only adding one gfci outlet on the 4 plug box next to the 54g. If those plugs are on the same circuit then you only need to use a gfci on the last one in-line to protect both of them. Power coming in will have to be fed into the first outlet and then jumped from that outlet to the gfci. Running two gfci's on the same circuit if they are jumped or daisy chained off of one another may cause nuessance trips (false tripping).

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy#post_3366628
10/4: Well those cords should be the next best thing for ya then. Could probably save yourself a few bucks by only adding one gfci outlet on the 4 plug box next to the 54g. If those plugs are on the same circuit then you only need to use a gfci on the last one in-line to protect both of them. Power coming in will have to be fed into the first outlet and then jumped from that outlet to the gfci. Running two gfci's on the same circuit if they are jumped or daisy chained off of one another may cause nuessance trips (false tripping).
OK...thanks for that.....I just told hubby, and he knew what you were talking about....LOL....I have no clue about this stuff.

meowzer

UPDATE: This morning I got up and the 225G was shut down...so was the 28G cube....apparently power flashed last night..AND APPARENTLY these GFCI's DO NOT turn back on themselves

SOOOOO first thing this morning I had to reset everything.....Thankfully I have the sump levels right

ALSO before work I replugged everything back into the regular plugs
LOOKS Like this weeked we will somehow manage to replace at least 2 outlets behind the tank with GFCI ones.....I have 4, BUT I know I can get away with 2.
Mkohrer...I have no clue about this electrical stuff...so IDK what an afci even is

mkroher

I'm just saying you can use GFCI breakers in the electrical panel, vs replacing outlets (if they are not easily accessible)
an AFCI is an "arc" fault circuit interrupter. Most house electrical fires are from arc faults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy#post_3366718
UPDATE: This morning I got up and the 225G was shut down...so was the 28G cube....apparently power flashed last night..AND APPARENTLY these GFCI's DO NOT turn back on themselves

SOOOOO first thing this morning I had to reset everything.....Thankfully I have the sump levels right

ALSO before work I replugged everything back into the regular plugs
LOOKS Like this weeked we will somehow manage to replace at least 2 outlets behind the tank with GFCI ones.....I have 4, BUT I know I can get away with 2.
Mkohrer...I have no clue about this electrical stuff...so IDK what an afci even is

2quills

Oh, hey...sorry, Meow. I just realized I gave you some bad advise on hooking up the gfci next to the 54g. You'll want the gfci to be the first outlet in-line and not the second. My bad!