It's Armageddon I tell you!

meowzer

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/3213871
I am just reminded. My wife's flight was to land at 2:50 trying to beat the worst part of the storm that was supposed to hit soon after. I wanted to get a quick update of the weather at some local news at 2:00 then off to the airport. There was a breaking news story of a plane having to make an emergency landing at that airport right then. Also they were talking about 2 Soutwest planes that got hit by lightning today. OK great kids, let's get in the car and go get Mommy.

OMG that must have been scarey

lovethesea

yikes, don't know whats worse, flying in it or waiting for the person to get on the ground

I LOVE LOVE my basement. Half finished, great for the kids and friends. (yes, the BF is still hanging around........
) Its also great when we are waiting out tornado warnings.

reefraff

I hope all you California hippy type took advantage of all that free water and finally took a bath

Nice swimin hole scotts.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/3213871
I am just reminded. My wife's flight was to land at 2:50 trying to beat the worst part of the storm that was supposed to hit soon after. I wanted to get a quick update of the weather at some local news at 2:00 then off to the airport. There was a breaking news story of a plane having to make an emergency landing at that airport right then. Also they were talking about 2 Soutwest planes that got hit by lightning today. OK great kids, let's get in the car and go get Mommy.

My wife said the turbulence was terrible. Probably the worst she has experienced. 4 people puked before they landed.
DEFINITELY do NOT tell her about the lightning crap! She flies Southwest.
Yeah, we had some serious rain today,too. It was sunny and nice this morning, then around noon everything went south.
Guys, we don't have basements because it's too hard to find people buried in them after a quake. [crosses fingers] I'm amazed at the bridges they build out here considering how often the ground moves. Sometimes you look over the edge and can see three other bridges below you going different directions. Downright unnerving.
Originally Posted by reefraff

http:///forum/post/3213907
I hope all you California hippy type took advantage of all that free water and finally took a bath

I took a bath just last month, thank you very much...

scotts

Her flight really was not that bad. She said it was a little bumpy but she has been on worse.
I would SO like a basement. But maybe they figured all a basement would be is a convenient place for the rubble to collect after a quake. Although the same people that started building houses here also decided to put wood shingles on. You know so they could dry out in the 300 days of sunshine we get. I guess they figured it made a better fire that way.

Today was a bummer. They kept saying this was the big finale and while we got some rain it was pretty much the smallest storm this week. Darn and I wanted it to go out with a bang.

socal57che

It was so windy earlier that it blew rain into my attic vent...which proceded to run past the 2nd story inside the walls until it dripped from the ceiling of the garage onto my car. So much for parking it inside.

Still not as much rain as what we had the other day.

scotts

OUch, that is some serious wind.
I heard today that Soutwest stopped flights in Burbank and Phoenix airports. Which is where my wife had here trip yesterday. I kept telling her that yesterday was actually a good day to take her trip.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/3214601
OUch, that is some serious wind.
I heard today that Soutwest stopped flights in Burbank and Phoenix airports. Which is where my wife had here trip yesterday. I kept telling her that yesterday was actually a good day to take her trip.
Lisa won't like hearing that. She flies alot, but has no use for bad news+airplanes. I can't get her to watch Flight 93. She has flown on Sept 11th all but one year since 2001. She claims that it's the safest day to fly and until recently was not very busy on that particular that day. She get's spooked over flying pretty easily. I guess I would, too, but I hardly ever fly.
She flies home tomorrow morning.

We just had another downpour. It pours, then clears up and then pours down rain again.

kjr_trig

Scotts, we are close to 4 inches of rain this week, we typically get about 5 per year I think...Lots of golf courses closed today, we couldn't open till 10:30 due to having to pump standing water and not being able to get carts around the course.

scotts

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
http:///forum/post/3215069
mmmm, thats that nice river Conan OBrien went white water rafting on in one of his first episodes..

Well now there is water for him to raft down for his last episode - TODAY.

KJ, YOu mentions golf carts and standing water in the same sentence. Now that just sounds like FUN!!
See who can slide their cart farthest sideways.
I lived in Tucson for 6 months and was amazed at how fast it can turn green there. It seems like the first dros of water hit the ground and 20 minutes later everything is green.
My wife's business trip was in Phoenix so we were trying to time it so that she was not flying out on Wed. and hitting the storm there that we had on Tue.

aquaknight

I guess the first of that stuff rolled through here yesterday. Weird as heck. Outside 1pm/2pm, fine nice clear day. 3:30/4 rolls around I walk outside to this.

For anyone that's seen "The Mist" I was pretty ready to see some giant bugs come flying by

lovethesea

the fog has been horrid here, especially at night. It was so bad a few nights we couldn't see the houses across the street.

Made for the scary driving.
I seriously need some sun.........I mean really. It has been DAYS and DAYS of rain/fog/cold.....

scotts

Note to self: When the pool is completely full and it is so cloudy that you cannot see the bottom, the new foster mom who just got here this afternoon will think the pool is solid and try to step across it. Remember to do what you did this time and leave the leash on the dog so you can pull her out of the pool. However dry her off OUTSIDE instead of inside.
AK, this morning on the way to school my daughter asked me if the storms go on forever. I told her No of course they break up as the go across the country. Then I realized that some make it all the way across and when they hit the atlantic do they gain more power? So maybe you are getting the remnants of a storm that is continually circling the globe.
LTS, Up in Fresno (Where I went to college) they have what is called Tule (pronounced Tool E) fog all the time. Driving is a nightmare. I used to just follow the dots on the road and go about 15 MPH and hope everyone else was doing the same. Or if I was on the highway I would find a semi and back off to where I could just see the tail lights. I figured if he had to slam on the brakes I could brake faster than him. Or if there was a pile up he would plow through it and I could follow through his path.

t316

http:///forum/post/3215434
LTS, Up in Fresno (Where I went to college) they have what is called Tule (pronounced Tool E) fog all the time. Driving is a nightmare. I used to just follow the dots on the road and go about 15 MPH and hope everyone else was doing the same. Or if I was on the highway I would find a semi and back off to where I could just see the tail lights. I figured if he had to slam on the brakes I could brake faster than him. Or if there was a pile up he would plow through it and I could follow through his path.
Now that's funny right there.....

reefraff

Note to self: When the pool is completely full and it is so cloudy that you cannot see the bottom, the new foster mom who just got here this afternoon will think the pool is solid and try to step across it. Remember to do what you did this time and leave the leash on the dog so you can pull her out of the pool. However dry her off OUTSIDE instead of inside.
AK, this morning on the way to school my daughter asked me if the storms go on forever. I told her No of course they break up as the go across the country. Then I realized that some make it all the way across and when they hit the atlantic do they gain more power? So maybe you are getting the remnants of a storm that is continually circling the globe.
When I was a kid we used to get hellacious fog in Huntington beach. Since the 70's or so it never seemed to be as bad. I remember it being so bad you couldn't see across the street a few times, and we lived on a narrow street.

socal57che

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3215446
When I was a kid we used to get hellacious fog in Huntington beach. Since the 70's or so it never seemed to be as bad. I remember it being so bad you couldn't see across the street a few times, and we lived on a narrow street.
A couple years ago the was a 200 car accident in that very fog...not as common, but still there occasionally.

aquaknight

I actually took a geology class, I think it was my sophomore year. The professor was a big weather guy, meteorologist/hurricane researcher, so most of the class was on weather, rather like the earth's crust, mountain ranges, etc. Because of my September birthday, I'm a year older then everyone gradewise, so my sophomore year, was also the year I turned 21, so I don't remember a ton of the class
. But learning weather systems, what happens when a cold front overtakes a warm front or vice versa, the jet stream, was pretty interesting, I think... I have the notes here somewhere...

Or if there was a pile up he would plow through it and I could follow through his path.

Whenever someone is riding with me and they make a too-close comment, I always use that excuse. "He'll just punch a hole for me...."
There also the "well, if I'm this close, the impact speed will be lower so there won't be much damage" [proceed to backoff a bit] "Now see here, this is the danger zone..."