Just some Questions about starting my 55 gal Reef tank!!!!

twood

You need the HOB overflow box, a flex tube or PVC pipe to run from the overflow box to the sump, a return pump (I use a Mag-Drive 2), and tubing or pvc pipe for the return line. I use a flex tube for my overflow and 1/2" clear vinyl tubing with a U-shaped return spout that hangs on the back of the tank for the return line.
Optionally, you can install a protein skimmer. This is not required but highly recommended for a reef tank. You can get either a HOB skimmer or a submerged skimmer. I use a Coralife Super Skimmer 125. Its not a top of the line skimmer, but it works well. The better brands (that I know of) are Octopus, MRC, and Aqua-C Remora. I got the Coralife because it fit my budget.

scott t

Ok Got that what about Filtration in the sump how do I achieve that??? and where would this go to, or is the Refug all i need for that??

J

jstdv8

great pic of the sump. I might reccoemd one more baffle on the right as one extra buble trap, but its a great illistration.
Also, if you havnt bought the Nova extreme yet you might look into the 6 light fixture instead. it doesnt have moonlights, but it does have the individual reflectors, which is a big deal.
You will likley get about the same Par out fo the 6 lights as you will out of that 8 light fixture and only be paying to light 6 bulbs.
I personally have the nova extreme pro 48" and I love it. Not a huge fan of the bulb colors, but I'm going to change out for soem API bulbs ina couple more months

J

jstdv8

The filtration in the sump is achieved by being able to grow macro algae in the refugium section. This also is a great place for copepods to grow without any predators to control thier population making for loads of free fish food for you.
You can also add more live rock in there if you want and possibly a deep sand bed for added filtration if you like.

scott t

OK i see about the filtration, now do i have this right.. If i get a pump is has to have the same gph rate as the overflow box am I right. Say I get a Pump that is 600 gph then in turn the Overflow box has to be 600 gph or more???? If I want to put Carbon in there i would have to put it in the end where the Skimmer is right under the in line to the sump and it would have to be in a sealed filter sock???

J

jstdv8

the pump has to put out equal to or less that what the overflow can overflow. You have to keep in mind that you are going to lose quite a bit of GPH when the pump has to push water all the way up the tube from your sump up to your DT. So whatever number you think you might get actually going into the tank itself, NOT the GPH number that the pump is rated for right at the unit. Alot of pumps will tell you on the box or on thier site what GPH they will put out at 4' or so of head height so you can get pretty close.

J

jstdv8

you can put the carbon in anywhere where there is flow. I don't use a filter sock (although its probably a good idea) I just don't like the idea of having to clean it every few days.

J

jstdv8

Originally Posted by twood
http:///forum/post/3285582
I also have the Nova Extreme Pro. The 48" version. Here is a link for it:
http://www.current-usa.com/nova_extreme_pro
I just this week replaced the stock bulbs with the following bulbs:
2 x 48" ATI Blue Plus
2 x 48" ATI Aqua Blue Special
1 x 48" ATI True Actinic 03
1 x 48" KZ Fiji Purple
Hows the color? much better than the original bulbs?
Do you have a picture?

twood

You want the overflow to have a little higher flow rate than the pump. That way your pump won't overflow the display tank. However, if you bought a 600 gph overflow and an 600 gph pump, you should be fine as the flow rate from the pump is diminished as it pushes water up to the tank.

scott t

Ok thanks for all your help I think I have got the concept of the sump down now.. Woo Hoo ya'll rock and looking at the price of things for the sump with out the skimmer at this point seems a lot cheaper that going with everything in pieces..
Oh and I was reading somewhere that with a sump you give your tank more volume with it is this TRUE or now??? So say I go with a 55 gal tank and then do a 20 gal long sump what would the total volume of the tank be???

twood

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3285592
Hows the color? much better than the original bulbs?
Do you have a picture?
It is much bluer with a hint of purple. The stock bulbs were much whiter. I attached a picture, but it really doesn't do it justice. My camera isn't that great.

J

jstdv8

wow, other than the color that looks really similar to my tank LOL
I'm excited to get some new bulbs. what did they set you back?

twood

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3285602
Ok thanks for all your help I think I have got the concept of the sump down now.. Woo Hoo ya'll rock and looking at the price of things for the sump with out the skimmer at this point seems a lot cheaper that going with everything in pieces..
Oh and I was reading somewhere that with a sump you give your tank more volume with it is this TRUE or now??? So say I go with a 55 gal tank and then do a 20 gal long sump what would the total volume of the tank be???
Yes, you get more water volume with a sump. As for total volume, its tough to say. When you put in rock and sand it displaces a certain amount of water. A 55 gal tank only holds 55 gals if there is nothing in it but water. I have about 90 lbs of live rock in my tank and my sump isn't completely full of water. I guestimate I have around 60-65 gallons of water in my system.

scott t

Beautiful tank Twood, looks really awesome, I can not wait to get mine up and running... I am getting so excited about it...

J

jstdv8

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3285602
yes, the water volume will increase of course. if you have a 55 gallon and sump with say another 13 gallons or so out of the 20 in it your total water volume is now 68 gallons. Any time you can increase your overall water volume it makes things easier. the more water you have to dilute issues makes your tank more stable.
The sump will also help increase water and air mixture and help stabilize your PH. You can run a light over your macro algae you will likley want in the regugium section on opposite hours as you have your DT lights on so that there is no big swing in PH from night to day.
Life is just better with a sump :)

scott t

So you are saying that i will have instead of a 55 gal tank i will have almost a 70 gal tank?? I mean with water volume?? but that does not mean if i am looking at a fish that requires a 70 gal tank i can put that fish in it???

twood

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3285611
would you reccomend that same combination or is there something you might change if you were to buy them again?
I have only had those in for 2 days, but so far I am pleased. I based my bulb selection on pictures of tanks with T-5 bulbs over them on another forum.