Just some Questions about starting my 55 gal Reef tank!!!!

scott t

55 Gal SWF Tank
Tank 55 Gal (already have this)
Nova Extreme 48“ lights (8 light fixture w/ lunar) 432 watts total (ordering this weekend)
MarineLand Emperor 400 Filter (for now going to Up Grade to a HOB Wet/Dry with Refug and Skimmer built in this is it here. Ecosystems Pro Hang on back Wet/Dry filter system Pro60:Supports 40 - 60 gallon aquariums; 30" x 4-1/2" x 11-1/2" high. Includes: Refugium Tank, 7 lbs of Miracle Mud, 18W Power Compact Light Fixture, Rio 600 Pump, Return Jet, Skim Box, Sponge and U-tube, and a Modified CPR Bak-Pak Protein Skimmer. (would this work ok with what I have?
Power Heads (what Kind and How many)
Sand CaribSea Arag- Alive Sand 65-70# (is this enough)
Live Rock 60-65# (is this enough)
Heater (what kind and what size)
Refractometer
API Test Kits ( Saltwater Master Test Kit and Saltwater Reef Master Kit)
Sea Clone HOB Skimmer ( Is a Skimmer a necessary for a new Reef tank?) May just wait on this and get the filter with the Skimmer built in.
IS there anything else that you suggest that I get for the tank to start out? Any suggestions are welcome. This is just a list I am start so I can get the things I need over the next month or two so I can get my tank up and running.
Oh and almost forgot one important things QT Tank I think I am going to go with like a 20 gal.
Thanks,
Scott

yannifish

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3285401
55 Gal SWF Tank

Tank 55 Gal (already have this)
Nova Extreme 48“ lights (8 light fixture w/ lunar) 432 watts total (ordering this weekend)
MarineLand Emperor 400 Filter (for now going to Up Grade to a HOB Wet/Dry with Refug and Skimmer built in this is it here. Ecosystems Pro Hang on back Wet/Dry filter system Pro60:Supports 40 - 60 gallon aquariums; 30" x 4-1/2" x 11-1/2" high. Includes: Refugium Tank, 7 lbs of Miracle Mud, 18W Power Compact Light Fixture, Rio 600 Pump, Return Jet, Skim Box, Sponge and U-tube, and a Modified CPR Bak-Pak Protein Skimmer. (would this work ok with what I have?
Power Heads (what Kind and How many)
Sand CaribSea Arag- Alive Sand 65-70# (is this enough)
Live Rock 60-65# (is this enough)
Heater (what kind and what size)
Refractometer
API Test Kits ( Saltwater Master Test Kit and Saltwater Reef Master Kit)
Sea Clone HOB Skimmer ( Is a Skimmer a necessary for a new Reef tank?) May just wait on this and get the filter with the Skimmer built in.
IS there anything else that you suggest that I get for the tank to start out? Any suggestions are welcome. This is just a list I am start so I can get the things I need over the next month or two so I can get my tank up and running.
Oh and almost forgot one important things QT Tank I think I am going to go with like a 20 gal.
Thanks,
Scott
I wouldn't waste you money on a cyclone skimmer. They are not known to be good skimmers.
I don't know anything about that wet dry filter, but I personally would just build my own sump. That way you get exactly what you want, and can get a good skimmer.
For skimmer, a Remora skimmer would be a good hang on back skimmer, and there are lots of options for in sump skimmers, if you choose to go with that option.
For more information on sumps, how they work, and how to build one I would recommend visiting melevsreef.com.
I personally like Koralia powerheads, they move a lot of water but in a gentle way, great for corals.
That should be good for sand. There is a sand calculater on this site that tells you how much sand you need to get a certain depth based on the dimensions of your tank.
As far as live rock goes, it is largely personal opinion, but a pound and a half per gallon I think is the recommened minimum amount.
Rememer to do lots of research before purchasing equipment or livestock! You don't want to waste your money on equipment that will perform poorly, or purchase livestock that either will out grow your tank, you cant care for, or will be too aggresive.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your tank!

flower

I got the Sea clone once... its garbage, but frankly I haven’t found a skimmer I like yet...and yes you can wait on it.
Build your rock halfway up the tank, since you ordered REEF tests I assume you are going for corals
So when you add your rock make sure you have some caves and good size overhangs and flat areas on the rock. That will give you the best choice of coral types, some don't like bright lights and they are the ones that are so beautiful and full of color.
If you don't want a sump, go for a canister filter.

beaslbob

best thing and also one of the most inexpensive things was to just cram in an eggcrate (1/4" plastic grid light diffusers) about 3" in front of the back glass. I then added two 4' 2 tube utility (shopt light) fixtures behind the tank pointing forward.
that formed a lit refugium between the glass and the egg crate. So macro algaes and pods thrived in that area.
Just my .02

flower

http:///forum/post/3285432
Flower if I go with a Canister Filter what should I go with??? Any Suggestions

Fluval 305, I always go a little bigger than I need (I run 2 canisters on my 90g) . The Fluval canister is so easy to service and change the media...I love mine, and I have had many canister filters in my 30+ years of fish keeping.
I have been looking into going with a sump (no drilling) because the HOB skimmers are garbage, in sump skimmers work better from what I have read...Since you are just setting up, look into all options before making a choice

yannifish

Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker
http:///forum/post/3285426
I agree with Yannifish. I think you will want/need more liverock.

Hooray! People agree with me!

lol

http:///forum/post/3285432
Flower if I go with a Canister Filter what should I go with??? Any Suggestions
Have you considered a sump? I think in the long run you would be happier, so just put some thought into it.
Especially because you haven't filled you tank yet (I don't think) and could drill it.
But that's my opinion, whatever works for you.
What do you plan on keeping in this tank?
Reef?
FOWLR?

scott t

I am going to do a reef tank with Fish and Corals. Not sure what i am going with yet just looking at what will work best for now since i am just starting.. Just want to get things up and running. I dont want to go overboard just yet like i said i am new to this. I want to start out as simple as possible to get my feet "wet" so to speak. lol ..

flower

http:///forum/post/3285454
I am going to do a reef tank with Fish and Corals. Not sure what i am going with yet just looking at what will work best for now since i am just starting.. Just want to get things up and running. I dont want to go overboard just yet like i said i am new to this. I want to start out as simple as possible to get my feet "wet" so to speak. lol ..

You can have a sump without drilling...you use an overflow box to regulate everything and as a plus you can make a small chamber for a refugium..which is fantastic for your tank. So look into this before settling on a canister. It sounds like it is very easy and I wish I had done it in the beginning, it's always harder and more expensive later.
All very simple..LOL..a thing I strive for.

scott t

LOl Wow now ya'll have me thinking about doing this whole sump things. Wow how you can change your mind about something in the blink of an eye in this hobby.. Holy, there are so many choice for filtration in this hobby, now what do i want to do lol....

J

jstdv8

this sounds like a flower thread we had recently

I think I'll go find a link :)

scott t

I am with Flower on this one its all to like gibberish to me. I am not a plumber by any stretch. Maybe I will just buy a sump that is already made, or better yet go with the canister and do a hob refug. and Skimmer.. AHHHH My head hurts just reading all that plumbing stuff...... Holy wow!!!!

meowzer

I bought a pre-made sump......or wet/dry...call it what you want
It came with the over flow and everything....all I needed to get was the return pump, and they tell you what size based on your tank size.....
After you get it, you can do what ever you want with it.....I took the bioballs out of the center section and made a refugium out of it..
I am a "buy it made" type of person

twood

Hey Scott,
Sumps are easy to make. I am no plumber either and made one for my 55 gal reef tank. All you have to do is get a smaller tank than your display (something that will fit underneath easily) and get some pieces of glass cut to use as baffles. I bought a 20 gal long tank, measured the inside width and height of that tank, subtracted 1" from the height, then had a local glass company cut 4 panes of 1/4' thick glass. I then bought some GE Silicone I from Home Depot. Don't get GE Silicone II or any other silicon that has mold or mildew killing additives. Only 100% silicone. I then glued the four panes in to the 20 gal tank as seen in the diagram below. The 3 baffles on the left keep micro-bubbles from my skimmer from entering the rest of the sump. The center section is a refugium. I have some live sand and macro algae growing in my refugium. The right baffle is so you can maintain a consistent water level in the sump. This is vital for good skimmer performance. The water level can rise and drop in the return pump section without affecting the level in the rest of the sump.

scott t

wow Thanks Twood, seeing that makes it a lot simpler for me to understand. Now its does not seem that Scary to me.. I think i could get my step dad to help me build that.. Since you are running this on a 55 gal tank (Mine is going to be a reef) Can you tell me what else i will need for it.. I will do a HOB overflow on it.. Thanks for the Picture..