Just some Questions about starting my 55 gal Reef tank!!!!

gcgrad

Hey Scott! I had recently made an Excel file which has a list of types of fish, minimum size tank, typical prices, and whether they are aggressive or peaceful. I got the info from a fish book I had bought but grew tired of flipping through it constantly. The file even has a tab at the bottom for 55 gal suitable fish.
Well I can't seem to figure out how to add an attachment. The file is probably too big anyway, I can email it to you if you would like. Just a thought!

scott t

Wow that sounds nice. I just have a running list of the fish I like and such that are suitable for a 55 gal tank. lol. I am not really an excel type of person, I know how to use the program and all. I should really start using it again because that will be a good way to keep track of my tank params in the future.

gcgrad

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3286144
gcgrad, thats the wonderful thing about this site is you can come learn from others questions. I am glad that you are going with the Sump also, after talking to with others on here and doing some other Research on them I think it is going to be the best way to go. Thanks for the Wish of Luck on this and I Wish you the Best of Luck with yours also. Hey gcgrad do you have one of the "Stores that we love to hate" near you?? If so I got all of my tanks there and total for all three of them it was about $110.00 ( the 55 gal for the DT, the 29 gal for the QT and the 20 gal long for the sump) yes, I know what you are thinking "all 3 of them" for that...
I'm sort of a noob so I'm not familiar with the "Stores that we love to hate." lol I'm actually getting a pass-me-down tank and stand from my sister. I still need a 20 gal for sump and a QT tank, so I'm keeping my eyes open for those.
Dean

scott t

Woot I just got my Email conformation that my tanks Light shipped today yay
that means they will be here in 5 to 7 day

scott t

Thanks gcgrad That is a an awesome list you have there and yes it will be very helpful to me.. I like how you have the list broken down!!!

scott t

Hey got another question for ya'll, can you use the Natural Sea water From the "store we love to hate" to start the tank with and use as top off water??

J

jstdv8

scott,
you top off with freshwater, Fresh RO/DI water not saltwater

scott t

lol oh dont know what I was thinking there.. Must have lost my mind for a minute there. Yes because the water evaporates not the salt lol. Sorry... So only Ro/Di water for that and was thinking of the other for Water change water...

btldreef

Honestly, that water should be fine for the initial fill up and cycle, but I would invest in a RO/DI unit. Trust me, you'll have a disaster one night at 3am, need water and not have any and then you'll be kicking yourself for not having that RO/DI unit. Even if it's the cheap API Tap Water Filter. I used that thing to fill my 155! Since you live in NY, like me, our water is really good and the Tap Water Filter works quite well.