KAT74's 29g Biocube Diary

nwdyr

Like the clove's, my LFS has some but only a huge piece for like 80.00!! that's why I need a frag tank!!! yea,yea that's why

fishermon

You have a BEAUTIFUL TANK!
I've been watching your diary from day one.
I have a 29 Biocube coming in next week.
Your tank is the main reason I'm getting one. It is so nice!

It also helped talking my wife into it.

I have a 90g reef & it takes up alot of time & $$$. So I was very suprised my when my wife gave me the green light.
If my Biocube is half as nice as yours I will be happy!
I plan on sharing my set-up from day one.
Stay Tuned....

peef

Originally Posted by KAT74
http:///forum/post/2525728
I knew you'd be proud of me for that xenia!

and I know... I know... that rock covered in zoas would look pretty darn awesome! I've got to find some LFS's around here that sells some nice frags. I ordered some from an online retailer and all of their plugs grew red bubble algae and it freaked me out and I immediately tossed the whole frag. I know that I SHOULD have just removed the zoas, but I don't have those kinds of means to do that here at work. (remove and reglue to something) I lost a lot of nice zoas because of that. I had an outbreak of red bubble algae in my 14 gallon Biocube and it was an eye sore; almost made me break down the entire tank. So, when I saw them all over the plug, I freaked and tossed them before they caused a big mess.
Now.... if you wanna donate some of your sweet zoas....

All of my zoas have come from a seller on this site called Redspot321. He is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! The selection he has is unreal and they are ALL top notch. Check your pm to get his selling album!

K

kat74

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2527991
Like the clove's, my LFS has some but only a huge piece for like 80.00!! that's why I need a frag tank!!! yea,yea that's why

My LFS had a huge colony too and I just asked them to frag me a small piece and that's what they did.
And you KNOW that your frag tank is not going to stay a frag tank! You're gonna be going all out again... just watch!~

Originally Posted by kikithemermaid
Your pictures and fish are gorgeous!
Thanks so much!~ I appreciate that!

Originally Posted by FISHERMON

You have a BEAUTIFUL TANK!
I've been watching your diary from day one.
I have a 29 Biocube coming in next week.
Your tank is the main reason I'm getting one. It is so nice!
It also helped talking my wife into it.
I have a 90g reef & it takes up alot of time & $$$. So I was very suprised my when my wife gave me the green light.
If my Biocube is half as nice as yours I will be happy!
I plan on sharing my set-up from day one.
Stay Tuned....
Wow, thanks so much for the compliment! My inspiration here was DeMartini. I was just awe-inspired by her tanks!
I can't wait until you start your thread and you start to share your tank's progression!~

Originally Posted by paintballer768

This small, light green rics are amazing, every time I see the picture I go right to them.
Thanks! Unfortunately, because they are so light, those as well as a couple of ice blue rics don't show up well in the pictures.... they often look washed out or bleached.

Originally Posted by peef
All of my zoas have come from a seller on this site called Redspot321. He is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! The selection he has is unreal and they are ALL top notch. Check your pm to get his selling album!
Thanks for the PM!~
I saw his stuff and I would definately go broke if I ordered all that I wanted from him! Can't wait til you post pics of your new stuff!

K

kat74

My pom pom crab decided to show his face today and stay out front long enough for me to snap some pics!~

and ummm.... thought I'd show ya how spoiled my babies are... they will take ORAglo from my fingers.

In this pic, the clown rushed over to see why I was feeding the shrimp and not him.

matt b

http:///forum/post/2529211
My pom pom crab decided to show his face today and stay out front long enough for me to snap some pics!~

and ummm.... thought I'd show ya how spoiled my babies are... they will take ORAglo from my fingers.

In this pic, the clown rushed over to see why I was feeding the shrimp and not him.

how do u like oraglow?

K

kat74

One last update... I'm not getting an 8 gallon Biocube for home, I'm getting a 14 gallon Biocube.
I ordered it today along with some other stuff to pick up next weekend.
Of course, it will be a little while before I start a thread for it because it will need to cycle, etc... but I plan to move my little n-a-k-e-d clowns there and order a pair of Picasso's from here for the 29 at work.

ETA: No "crazy clownfish woman" comments, Matt! :)
Along with the 14 that I'm gonna pick up next weekend, I'm also picking up the items below:
emperor shrimp

small daisy polyp colony

and a red coco worm. The pics above are not pics of the actual specimen I will be getting, but are pics that I sent to the LFS and they told me that the order gets placed next Tuesday. This will be a new LFS for me, as I've never been there before, but will make the hour and a half drive there to pick up my stuff. Probably once I get there, I'll get suckered into buying something else, I'm sure.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2529219
how do u like oraglow?
Hey Matt!

Everyone, with the exception of my possum wrasse loves it. I will give that to them every other feeding. The other feeding they get a mixture of frozen mysis, brine plus, emerald entree, and marine cuisine soaked in garlic plus, zooplex and some omega fatty acid/supplement type thing.
I really want to try them on Rod's Food because I hear that everything, fish, coral, inverts, go nuts for it. There's not a LFS around me that sells it and I'm not sure I want to pay that much for the shipping to have it sent to me.

matt b

http:///forum/post/2529224
Hey Matt!

Everyone, with the exception of my possum wrasse loves it. I will give that to them every other feeding. The other feeding they get a mixture of frozen mysis, brine plus, emerald entree, and marine cuisine soaked in garlic plus, zooplex and some omega fatty acid/supplement type thing.
I really want to try them on Rod's Food because I hear that everything, fish, coral, inverts, go nuts for it. There's not a LFS around me that sells it and I'm not sure I want to pay that much for the shipping to have it sent to me.

I have rods and none of my fish really like it. I will have to try the ora cause right now all my fish get is mysis soaked in garlic plus

vdubdan

Wow awesome setup. I wish I could hand feed my clown. If I put my hand in the tank I get attacked.
I hope you are able to get an emperor! I have not seen one since I got mine at the local store I got it from, Atlantis Aquarium, but I have been out of the loop for a while. I havent been to any LFS for a few months now. I believe they have an online store you can check out, I would call to double check though, they might not update the site always. No offense to swf.com, maybe they can find too!
Unfortunately mine passed a while ago, It would eat during routine feedings and was active, it might dissapear for a day and miss a feeding or two, but it definetly was eating. One day it was gone. Literally, dissappeared. it only lived about 3-4 months. I later got a more common anemone shrimp, (transparent w/white spots) and it had the same behavior, actually hung out in the same spots as the emperor, but same thing, 3 months it was a goner. I have some hermits and a rather large sexy shrimp that were in the tank prior to their introduction so maybe some aggrssive action happened during the night. Maybe my tank is too small (8 gal) and it wasnt finding enough food......
Whoa this got long I dont want to discourage you just thought I would share what I learned....they are very neat to watch, they sometimes have a weird wavy 'sloth' like way of moving around, very cool.

robertg

you tank is so awesome im new at this and im learning very quickly. im actually buying a nano cube 29g like yours I was wondering how many fish you have in yours and how many you think I could put in it?

K

kat74

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2529230
I have rods and none of my fish really like it. I will have to try the ora cause right now all my fish get is mysis soaked in garlic plus
Wow, I'm surprised that your fish don't like it. I've always heard "rave" reviews on it, making it seem like ALL fish will go nuts over it. I guess not ALL fish like it then.

I didn't know how well the fish would take to the ORAglo because before I got the ORA n-a-k-e-d pair, none of my other fish ever ate pellet food because I never tried to feed it to them. But like I said, everyone eats it except for the possum wrasse, and he probably doesn't eat it because the pellets can't fit into his tiny mouth.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by VDubDan
http:///forum/post/2529397
Wow awesome setup. I wish I could hand feed my clown. If I put my hand in the tank I get attacked.
I hope you are able to get an emperor! I have not seen one since I got mine at the local store I got it from, Atlantis Aquarium, but I have been out of the loop for a while. I havent been to any LFS for a few months now. I believe they have an online store you can check out, I would call to double check though, they might not update the site always. No offense to swf.com, maybe they can find too!
Unfortunately mine passed a while ago, It would eat during routine feedings and was active, it might dissapear for a day and miss a feeding or two, but it definetly was eating. One day it was gone. Literally, dissappeared. it only lived about 3-4 months. I later got a more common anemone shrimp, (transparent w/white spots) and it had the same behavior, actually hung out in the same spots as the emperor, but same thing, 3 months it was a goner. I have some hermits and a rather large sexy shrimp that were in the tank prior to their introduction so maybe some aggrssive action happened during the night. Maybe my tank is too small (8 gal) and it wasnt finding enough food......
Whoa this got long I dont want to discourage you just thought I would share what I learned....they are very neat to watch, they sometimes have a weird wavy 'sloth' like way of moving around, very cool.
Everything in my tank is so used to my hands being in there for one thing or another that they aren't afraid of it anymore. Those little clowns are friendly little boogers and would probably eat food from anyone's hands.

The LFS that is ordering me the emperor shrimp is Einstein Aquatics. They have a website. I spoke with the owner today when I placed the order for my 14 gallon Biocube and asked him if he could get them in and he said that he was going to order them with the last order, but didn't know if anyone wanted them, so he's going to order a few with the Tuesday order. While he was taking "special requests", I went ahead and added the daisy polyps and red coco worm too!

I hope that when I get my emperor shrimp that it lasts more than 3 months. They are so beautiful and unique looking to me. I knew I wanted one after seeing the one you had in your thread. Sorry to hear that it passed away.
I've had my fire shrimp for over a year now and others around here can't seem to keep one alive, so I'm hoping that I will be successful with the one I get. Thanks for sharing your insight on your experience with them. I'll be sure to post how mine gets along.... if I see him!~

K

kat74

Originally Posted by robertg
http:///forum/post/2529404
you tank is so awesome im new at this and im learning very quickly. im actually buying a nano cube 29g like yours I was wondering how many fish you have in yours and how many you think I could put in it?
I have 5 fish in mine.... a pair of ORA n-a-k-e-d ocellaris clowns, a bicolor blenny, an aurora/pinkbar goby and a possum wrasse. They all use up different places in my tank so that they are not always crowding each other. The clowns swim all over, mostly out front, in the middle. The blenny usually stays perched somewhere on the rocks on a coral or in his little hole, swimming out every once in awhile to nip at algae on the rocks, glass and shells of crabs and snails, the goby stays on the bottom/substrate and perches on a dead brain coral that he refuses to leave, acting like he's always waiting on something, and the wrasse is a tiny thing... swims around curiously looking at everything, but mostly likes to swim around and through the rockwork.
I've pushed my fish number to the limit, but I am religious with keeping up with my weekly 5 gallon water changes. I probably shouldn't have more than 4 fish in there, but it works for me with the ones I have.
Soooo.... maybe 4 fish?

nwdyr

as usual I turn my head for a min. and you'r one upping me
I thought I was the only one that "hand feed's"
I also am always re-arranging my tank, so my little guy's are used to me too. I did a water change tonite and did some houskeeping while I was in there. My brother can't figure out why I won't go out to the bar's with him anymore, My fish are nicer than anybody I meet at a bar! I don't know if that's a good thing or not
Can't wait to see you'r new tank! My b-day is comming up soon, sooooo I think something fishy is in order! You'r food combo sound's good I think i will try that. Since I stayed in tonite, now I can get up early and go to the LFS for some new treats for my fish!!

nwdyr

forgot to mention, great pic's!!!!!!!!!!! love the Pom Pom....and my fire shrimp is finally comming out
not all the time , but a little here and there.

matt b

Ya I did not even mention the pix
Your clowns are spoiled lmao! Mine are to! they will let me pet them and everything

halostalker

wow wow wow, gratz on ordering the 14gal it will be fun=P, ur clowns are just so cool i really like how they look, i sort of want clowns for mine which i never wanted lol. and ur pom pom is taunting me

yea the emperor shrimp is really nice but i find that all the shrimp and crabs i order are sick but u'll see what i mean when i have them in my tank=P. Im pretty sure it will do great in ur tank just take it slow and let the shrimp acclimate and not do something like my little shrimp did
.(b/c of that i think i will always keep filterfloss in the sump lol.)
I just hope ur paying a decent price for him b/c i have seen some ridiculous prices and im afraid of even trying my LFS b/c they over price everything like a pom pom for 25 buckz come on.
Nice on the polyps and coco worm can't wait to see it

=P great update.