KAT74's 29g Biocube Diary

peef

Hey I want a pic two feet back and 6.2352 inches to the left......and I want you to stand upside down and sing Hakuna Matata when you take it......
Bah haha, I am just messing with yah Kat!!!! couldn't resist!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by peef
http:///forum/post/2553563
Hey I want a pic two feet back and 6.2352 inches to the left......and I want you to stand upside down and sing Hakuna Matata when you take it......
Bah haha, I am just messing with yah Kat!!!! couldn't resist!

Ugghhhhh again..... I hate standing on my head.... but I'll do it, just 1 more time...

nwdyr

I would like one 3.6 degrees to the right on a rainy tuesday.....ooo yea close you'r left eye also!

K

kat74

You guys are funny!~

Maybe we could all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" while PD takes these pics.

halostalker

hey just coming on to say my AOG is dieing again=(
so hows ur tank, did u spot the emperor yet?
i want a PIC of ur boss when u ask to add another 2 tanks to ur office, maybe also a bed heheh jk

K

kat74

Originally Posted by HaloStalker
http:///forum/post/2554537
hey just coming on to say my AOG is dieing again=(
so hows ur tank, did u spot the emperor yet?
i want a PIC of ur boss when u ask to add another 2 tanks to ur office, maybe also a bed heheh jk
Whoa... sorry to hear that your AOG's are dying.
I'm not doing well with zoas either these days in this tank. I don't know what's going on....

and nope! Haven't seen the emperor since I put him in the tank. Haven't heard the light tapping anymore either. I guess he disappeared into the black hole in my tank where things mysteriously go when I don't see them anymore.

Oh, I won't be asking for anymore tanks in my office, that's for sure! This one tank, on top of everything else I do is enough!

K

kat74

I've made up my mind that I am going to give up on xenia and zoas. The xenia that decided to hop on my back wall is doing great. All others, not so much. My zoas are shrinking and not looking as great as they once did.

My cabbage leather (that was a hitchhiker on a large piece of LR) has killed just about all of my ricordeas and I saw a scarlet reef hermit picking away at a nice orange one.
I was thinking about taking a razor and cutting that sucker off of the LR, but I just know that if I tried to do that with it still in the tank, it would probably release a whole lot of nasties into the tank and take other stuff out the door with it. I can't take this rock out because it is the biggest piece I have in there and is what holds everything else up.

I think that once all my xenia and zoas disappear, I am just going to stick with the LPS's that do very well in my tank... brains, torch's, frogspawn, fox coral, etc.. and the other stuff like daisy and clove polyps. I can live with that selection.

anyway, took this pic of my new brain when the actinics came on and thought it looked nice. I can't seem to capture just how beautiful this brain is... you'll just have to believe me.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by peef
http:///forum/post/2555206
You want to sell any of your zoas? Maybe I can save them?!?!
Honey, if there was a way that I could safely remove them from that top rock, I soooo would and you could have them! They are pretty much "matted" to that rock and me trying to remove them would probably kill them for sure.

nwdyr

Sorry to hear that Kat, my cabbage...and it's a big one! has not hurt anybody yet. but now I am a little scared. i will have to keep an eye on it for sure. I planned on fragging the whole piece anyway and selling it, maybe I will just sell it as it is
whatever happens you'r tank will always be great!!

coral keeper

Sorry to hear that too. I have a BIG cabbage leather thats 4 inches by 3 inches and hasn't hurt anything either. Are you sure that its the cabbage leather that hurting all your corals?

K

kat74

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2567490
Sorry to hear that Kat, my cabbage...and it's a big one! has not hurt anybody yet. but now I am a little scared. i will have to keep an eye on it for sure. I planned on fragging the whole piece anyway and selling it, maybe I will just sell it as it is
whatever happens you'r tank will always be great!!

Your cabbage leather is huuuuuge! Definately frag it, it's still a beautiful coral!~
And thanks for the compliment!
Originally Posted by Coral Keeper

http:///forum/post/2567490
Sorry to hear that too. I have a BIG cabbage leather thats 4 inches by 3 inches and hasn't hurt anything either. Are you sure that its the cabbage leather that hurting all your corals?
I'm just assuming that it is because of all the rics that died that were directly around it and after reading about them in that book.
I don't really see anything else around them that could have done it?

K

kat74

Well, poop. Something is going on with my tank this morning. Came into work and the tank looked a little "dusky". The actinics were on. When the daylights came on, I saw that the "duskiness" was because there were tiny white particles floating around everywhere. It's not very bad, but the first thing I did was panic and wondered if I was having calcium precipitation. Before I tested my water, I unplugged the skimmer, wondering if it was actually microbubbles, then I removed the bags of Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen. What the sight reminded me of was when I first put the Purigen in the tank, there is initially that slight bit of Purigen particles floating around... that's what it looks like.
Anyway, I tested my water, thinking that maybe my calcium was sky high and it was precipitation, but my calcium was actually a bit on the low side. It was 350. Alkalinity was low; 7dKH. PH was 8.0 (lights had just come on) SG 1.025, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 5-10, Phosphates: 0. Unfortunately, I don't have a Magnesium test, but I'm sure that it's low too.
Fish are swimming around normally, corals are opened, nothing seems affected by whatever this is.
I did a 5 gallon water change on Friday, and I'm planning on doing another one today.
Now, I don't know whether these particles are caused by the skimmer or the Purigen because since removing both, it's gotten a little
bit better. I know that it will take time to totally clear up because of it just circulating over and over in the water....

Hmmmm.....

nwdyr

hmmm
you stumped the band with that one! the only long shot,and it is long!, I can think of is maybe the substrate was disturbed by something? or did something fall? maybe a piece of rock or a coral?

coral keeper

Originally Posted by KAT74
http:///forum/post/2567763
Your cabbage leather is huuuuuge! Definately frag it, it's still a beautiful coral!~
And thanks for the compliment!
I'm just assuming that it is because of all the rics that died that were directly around it and after reading about them in that book.
I don't really see anything else around them that could have done it?
My cabbage leather has mushrooms and a galaxy coral around it and nothings dieing or hurting each other. Hope your tank gets better.

K

kat74

Well, I don't know what it was, but it's gone.
Tank is all clear now. I'm gonna plug my skimmer back up and let it run for awhile to see if that was the problem, and then after awhile, I'll put the Purigen and Chemi-Pure Elite back in.
I'll hold off on the water change until its regular day on Friday.
Maybe this tank was wanting some "extra" attention from me, feeling neglected since I got my new tank.

jerrit03

Kat I also live just south of Atl and was wondering what LFS you go to? I only know of a few in the area. My e-mail is jerrit03@yahoo.com, your tank looks awesome I am thinking about starting up a nano myself.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by jerrit03
http:///forum/post/2567920
Kat I also live just south of Atl and was wondering what LFS you go to? I only know of a few in the area. My e-mail is jerrit03@yahoo.com, your tank looks awesome I am thinking about starting up a nano myself.
Thanks for the compliment!~

Where, south of Atlanta do you live? I go to a few LFS; the closest one to me is Blue Planet in McDonough, which I frequent all the time.
I also go to Marine Fish and Reef in Marietta, Einstein Aquatics in Atlanta and Saltwater City in Kennesaw.
I'm also a member of the Atlanta Reef Club and will go to any of the sponsor's stores in the area that has great sales.
Members get 15-20% off of livestock and dry goods!
Definately start up a nano!! I just started another one!

jerrit03

I go to Blue Planet all the time too, I used to work right over there on Jonesboro rd. and went at least 2 days a week. I also go to Aquatic pets. I just went to Marine Fish and Reef in Marietta for the first time last week and it is huge compared to most that I go to. I just recently bought a house right on the henry-spalding county line, but I go to school in Marietta at Southern Poly. Where did you buy your 29gal?