Keeping a Mantis shrimp

florida joe

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3238323
Time to give her something alive Joe?
Henry she ignores the turbos that are in her tank as well as the Nassarius Snails i would hate to introduce a sacrificial fish into the tank but i may just have to do that and see how she reacts. I have contacted Dr Caldwell for advice

spanko

Sacrificial fish is one thing, but I was thinking more along the line of you running - or walking - or even crawling depending on where you are with adult beverages today, down to the beach. Grab a few small crabs and toss them in.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3238330
Sacrificial fish is one thing, but I was thinking more along the line of you running - or walking - or even crawling depending on where you are with adult beverages today, down to the beach. Grab a few small crabs and toss them in.
WHAT!!!!

OK...I deleted my comment cause I like this thread

spanko

Yeah I 'm thinking something with more movement to excite her a bit. Snails are, well, as slow as, well, snails. Something to grab her attention and make her want to um.....er........whack it!

florida joe

I just received this e-mail
If she is healthy, the most probable explanation is that she is getting ready to molt. If that is the case, you should also see increased construction. Stomatopods can go for a couple of weeks without eating, so don't worry. She won't starve.
Roy
On 3/2/2010 8:05 AM, JInagua@aol.com wrote:
Dear doctor sorry to impose on you once again. My 2 ½ inch female peacock mantis we talked about has not accepted food for the last 3 days (she just casts it a side) everything else seems normal. She closes her burrow at night and reopens it in the morning
Thanking you in advance
--
Roy Caldwell
Department of Integrative Biology #3140
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

deejeff442

i talked to my supplier this morning he had a 4 inch peacock for me.it was shipped to the airport when he got there they cant find the box.it was scanned by hand but cant find it.there were also 35 other fish with it.
this was 3 days ago.$700 worth of livestock.what a joke

florida joe

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3238360
i talked to my supplier this morning he had a 4 inch peacock for me.it was shipped to the airport when he got there they cant find the box.it was scanned by hand but cant find it.there were also 35 other fish with it.
this was 3 days ago.$700 worth of livestock.what a joke
wow that sucks.what was the cost to you for the mantis

deejeff442

tell you the truth i usually dont ask prices since my guy is always lower than everyone else's.i kinda know what the lfs and online stores charge before i order livestock and he is always 30% or so lower.
but i will let you know when i get it.
this guy runs his shop out of his home.he has a bedroom loaded with tanks.he has been getting alot of australian corals lately gotta get me some.

florida joe

australian corals lately gotta get me some.
they are big ticket items but from what i have researched they are the most hardy you can buy

deejeff442

just got done filling my 250 gallon.i added some more sand so i had to put the 300 lbs of lr in blind.lets see if my experience in this hobbie of stacking rock looks when the water clears.
yea the aussie corals are pricey but i work construction and its getting really busy and i like to treat myself once in a while for my hard work.plus we dont have any kids so that really helps.he also has some sweet elegance corals .
the aussie corals are some of the most colorful ones i have seen.problem is i am not much of a frag guy i like a 4-5 inch coral at least to look at.so gotta start savin up.
as for the mantis i should have him by next tuesday.
i will let you know what it cost me.
its just great this thread started .i have seen these creatures and wanted one for some time but just havnt done the research.

florida joe

i will let you know what it cost me.
just want to know what your price range is so if your guy does not come up with one i may be able to let you know where you can get some. I was looking at some Australia brains yesterday $250-$350

florida joe

Well this was a good morning I presented some mysis to Lola which she enthusiastically took and eat. I do not see any signs of her having had a molt but it may very well be in her burrow, I have read that they will in fact eat their molted exoskeleton

deejeff442

so you have been feeding just raw shrimp?easy enough.does she chase down hermits?i have read to feed only 4-5 times a week maybe less.
cant wait to get mine.probably tuesday.i will take out some small pieces of lr from my 250 and i have a hob bio wheel filter on another tank to transfer .
shouldnt get any cycle .well hopefully.
i asked my supplier about the prices on the aussie corals but he has so many right now he emailed back which ones.so i need to look at the pics he sent.i really love the elegant but i know they are tough to keep.not saying i dont know how to keep a reef tank but i am more comfortable watching expert level fish and symptoms they might get than a sick coral.
but i will have a good payday with work by next week and of course need to get something for my hard work or my wife will spend it on the dogs

S

shrimpy brains

Hey Joe, now that you have had Lola for a little while, has she done any digging? You keep showing pics of her moving rocks and such, but haven't mentioned digging.
I am just curious as I am wondering if a deep sand bed is neccessary, when you have a "pre-made" tunnel.

florida joe

deejeef 442 actually i have been been trying octopus, mussels, shrimp and squid see post 203
shrimpy funny you ask that i was gong to bring it up i think more important then the sand bed is rocks if you are going to use a PVC burrow. peacocks are coral rock dwellers

florida joe

Presented Lola a krill this morning she attacked it thumped the feeder stick two times dislodged the krill from the stick and took it into her burrow. Still no sign of a molt.
FYI IMO add lots and lots of small rocks to your mantis tank they seem to love to rearrange things

deejeff442

hey joe,what are you running for a ph?i am using a 33 gallon for the mantis and have a spare #3koralia plus the hob filter.think thats ok?
i am going to pick up the pvc tubing tomarrow and set the tank up tomarrow night.i need to get a light for the tank still but no big deal.
with the rocks do you think i should get some smooth rocks or just break up some base rock?

florida joe

I am using a simple Marineland power head HOB is fine as for the rocks the base rock is fine just break it up into small pieces the more the better as I am constantly adding rock as Lola builds