Keeping a Mantis shrimp

S

shrimpy brains

Lola is super cool! You're definitely making me want one. If ever free up my QT/HT's I might have to set something up.

S

shrimpy brains

My lfs has a used 20g long. I almost bought it. Do you think that would be big enough? I would def. put some acrylic on the bottom!!

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3237336
yes you would be good to go
Geez, Joe! You were supposed to tell me it wouldn't be big enough, so I don't run out and buy it!!

I really shouldn't........but I guess I could just pick up the tank for now, after all, I am a SW addict!

cranberry

Mantis' are one of the most interesting critters you can ever own. Definitely get one of the more personable ones. Fish swim and eat and beg..... You watch these guys and you can see they have big plans. They sit and think and move stuff... and move it... and move it some more. Feed them live brine, and they will swim around and collect a bunch to bring into their cave (this is really funny to watch). They will dig like dogs in the garden and just the way they look at you inquisitively as you approach them... they are just very amazing critters.
They are very undemanding, very entertaining and down right a pleasure to own.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3237364
Mantis' are one of the most interesting critters you can ever own. Definitely get one of the more personable ones. Fish swim and eat and beg..... You watch these guys and you can see they have big plans. They sit and think and move stuff... and move it... and move it some more. Feed them live brine, and they will swim around and collect a bunch to bring into their cave (this is really funny to watch). They will dig like dogs in the garden and just the way they look at you inquisitively as you approach them... they are just very amazing critters.
They are very undemanding, very entertaining and down right a pleasure to own.
Thanks, for talking me out of it!!

Yea, Ill be picking up the tank tomorrow!!

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3237365
OK....I have read this thread from day one...STOP....I don't need another tank...LOL
Aw, come on Meowzer! Go Mantis crazy with the rest of us!!

florida joe

I believe there are more crazies out there, members and non members. Mantis keepers come out of the closet and show us your tanks

deejeff442

hey guys i finally found some crushed coral for my mantis tank.not to many places around here have it anymore .everyone uses sand now.
i will set up my tank maybe today .i just need to go to lowe-s for the pipe and
put it together .iwill post some pics in the next couple days.ihavnt heard anything from my supplier on the mantis.if not i really like the 6 inch one my lfs has.hes pretty big but my tank is 2 1/2 by 1 foot base so plenty of room.
i moved my 250 gallon yesterday.still need to wash it out and put that back together.took me all day to move my 90 reef an reset but everything in there is looking great.tell ya what that 250 is one heavy mother.

mrdc

I'm really enjoying this post. My LFS store used to bring in mantis shrimp from time to time because there were some local hobbyists that were setting up mantis tanks. However, I never got to see the shrimps so I am glad that you are sharing your journal. Keep up the good work!

deejeff442

i forgot ,since i dont live near a beach can i go to a hobbie shop and get some rocks and sea shells for the tank?are they safe?

florida joe

Joe, and you were wondering if this thread would break the 100 post mark.
Must be my animal magnetism

that 250 is one heavy mother.
Try taking the water out first
seriously your local fish store should have base rock you can break up. if you still have trouble i can send you some. as for the shells just make sure they are natural not painted or coated.
update on Lola she has been on a food strike the last two days. interesting how she will take the food then throws it out. The more i present it the further out she throws it. so i am looking at three possibility's. She is over feed, ill or preparing for a molt, I hope its the molt

florida joe

Entering day 3 of Lola’s not eating. I placed a piece of octopus at the entrance to her burrow. I would swear she held it up for me to see before she cast it aside. I am starting to worry