LARGE Plywood Tank Build

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2491580
yes, i will get something non glass and lighter to try it out...last night i was looking at the tank and thinking about someones comment about where my glass was going...and it just dawned on me...holy s....i didn't even consider the idea that the glass just MAY not be able to angle in here....lol, what a pain that would be...but either way i'll get it figured out...didn't come this far to just quit
If you can, find a piece of cardboard or build a 1x4 frame the size of the glass and try it before you get too much further into it.
I'm PMing you with something. You might like it.

L

lablabablah

you shouldnt have a problem gettin the glass in there, especially if its wider than the tallness of your glass, but your going to need alot of help as you allready know. Looks awesome, cant wait to build my own one day.

chilwil84

not trying to push u along but i work in construction on the jersey shore and we have had many flat roofs and decks glassed it the winter. the epoxy for filling the cracks and holes just needs to be set off a little hotter(ie more hardner) and they make a winter glass for the cloth part (and the hot coat before you fill the holes). it shoud be available from any boat builder or construction company that does fiberglass decks

bronco300

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2492024
not trying to push u along but i work in construction on the jersey shore and we have had many flat roofs and decks glassed it the winter. the epoxy for filling the cracks and holes just needs to be set off a little hotter(ie more hardner) and they make a winter glass for the cloth part (and the hot coat before you fill the holes). it shoud be available from any boat builder or construction company that does fiberglass decks
i'm sorry that was super confusing...what?

bronco300

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2491995
If you can, find a piece of cardboard or build a 1x4 frame the size of the glass and try it before you get too much further into it.
I'm PMing you with something. You might like it.

PM replied!!!!
Originally Posted by lablabablah

http:///forum/post/2492007
you shouldnt have a problem gettin the glass in there, especially if its wider than the tallness of your glass, but your going to need alot of help as you allready know. Looks awesome, cant wait to build my own one day.

yea...should be ineteresting to do, but it'll be a fun till the final piece of coral gets put in.

chilwil84

the glassing can be done now if you have the right people doing fiberglass work in you area (so you can get the right stuff) people are starting to get ancy(sp)

chilwil84

order that people do decks and lobster tanks near me
1. sand and prep surface
2. hot coat (the resin u apply to the cloth applied to the wood without cloth(mixed with hardner of course)
3. epoxy/bondo all holes and cracks between wood surfaces
4. sand leaving an even rough surface for bonding
5. apply cloth than roll resin onto cloth
6. sand
7. gelcoat
the reason for the hotcoat is so the wood is sealed and allows for the cloth to be laid on wood than resin applied not causing issues with the wood drying out the cloth and causing bubles and week spots

wattsupdoc

measure the opening from bottom right corner of window, to top right corner of viewing window. Order your glass according to this. It should fit OK. Be sure to allow for the thickness of the glass when doing so.

wattsupdoc

Through the front window. The opening will be larger diagonally. From one corner to the opposing corner. That drawing isn't proportionate to the window.
Also I just noticed my typo...
Top left corner(or right) to bottom right corner(or left) but diagonally.
You can slide it in diagonally then maneuver it into place.

bronco300

well tonight i tried a piece of cardboard 24 x 120...didn't work...so i went to 119 and it seemed to fit in...BUT since its cardboard and could have bent some i think i'll be just fine going with 118" and popping it in.

wattsupdoc

You could compensate for the smaller surface area by building a small lip where the glass ends sit. then silicone the glass to them also. Here's a pic. This would help guarantee a good seal as well as strengthen the framing. You could use quarter round or even 1x4's like you have for the rest of your bracing. Make sense?
BTW Bronco, you feel like a meth dealer in a room full of crackheads??? Gimme, Gimmee....

bronco300

lol..indeed...well my original plan was to have a brace sitting there but was reassured it would not be necessary...so i drew it out of the plans
today the hardener for the epoxy and fiberglass should arrive, kind of excited even though i can't do junk with it,lol.