LARGE Plywood Tank Build

snakeblitz33

uhh, even if you measure it diagonally like that, you are only going to get the glass tall enough to fit the seam. Then, on both sides, it will only be wide enough only on one end or the other, and you will still have a gap.
Any either way you cut it, your are not going to get the width that you need.
Good luck to yah!

bronco300

how would i not get the width i need?? that opening space measures 114.5x19.5...i tried a piece of 119x24 and it fit just fine, i wont get a 3" seal i want but still have a good seal there but a 118 x 24 would give me about a 2" around it

brandan

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2494945
uhh, even if you measure it diagonally like that, you are only going to get the glass tall enough to fit the seam. Then, on both sides, it will only be wide enough only on one end or the other, and you will still have a gap.
Any either way you cut it, your are not going to get the width that you need.
Good luck to yah!
He has 30" front to back, and he only needs glass that is 24" tall at most, so there is still 6" to rotate the glass vertically after it is inside the tank. Is that what you are referring to?

bronco300

well i cut up the fiberglass....looks like i got WAY too much, so much for my math,lol...i got some extra just to be safe, but not quite this much...but oh well, allows for even more mistakes,lol...i've decided MOST likely i will NOT be waiting until spring...i'm too impatient myself,lol...so hopefully next week I'll get the epoxy, then I can get some lights going and start it up.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2495014
how would i not get the width i need?? that opening space measures 114.5x19.5...i tried a piece of 119x24 and it fit just fine, i wont get a 3" seal i want but still have a good seal there but a 118 x 24 would give me about a 2" around it
it'll work just fine

hefner413

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2497913
i've decided MOST likely i will NOT be waiting until spring...i'm too impatient myself,lol...so hopefully next week I'll get the epoxy, then I can get some lights going and start it up.

sweeet! I support that decision!

bronco300

so how do we feel about external overflows??i think i want to do it..and will make it out of wood as well, which will be a bit sucky for epoxying, but easier to figure how to attach everything....and thoughts? I"m thinking 2 drains mid and right to drain to sump and one drain left for a closed loop

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I think that would work. I think it would just be easier to drill a few holes in the top, fit in bulkheads and some PVC elbows to the top... I always take the easy way out, but it may not look the best.

bronco300

well now that i think about it, and external box won't do much for me since i'll still have to use bulkheads....seems it would be good for a slotted overflow...but since i cant really do that i don't see how it'll help...if i just do holes to flow back then i have to prepare to be able to handle about 70-80gallons overflowing into the sump at a power outage....so to stop that i'd have to use a 90 elbow and strainer to put the drain higher up so i don't overflow as much water....which seems to defeat the purpose of the box...so why wouldn't i just run plain PVC piping from each drain to the sump

bronco300

beautiful day out today...wishing i could have epoxied...but instead i made the 45s to tip the tank on the corner...and cleaned up some...yes yes its trash, it'll go out this week but compared to before?

B

bonita69

WHAT NO X-Mas tree NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!It was almost time to put it back up!!

bronco300

lolol, watch it missy!! he is all chopped up and ready for fire....wanted you all to be able to focus finally,lol

bronco300

well tomorrow I should be getting the Lightrail unit!
And i've been playing around with plumbing an 8way oceans motions drawing a few diagrams like so:

bronco300

you all abandon me since no work is being done? lol, lousy thugs!

Good news...my epoxy resin is ON THE WAY...I should see it either Friday or Monday

ameno

I see your still looking at the OM 8-way. looks like you have a good random flow set up. I think you'll be happy with the OM. once you get past the plumbing

bronco300

yea, that was done in google sketchup, i love playing in that program

i think i'll probably go with an 8way...i think if plumbing is below the tank it wont be nearly as bad.