LARGE Plywood Tank Build

wattsupdoc

Personally, I'd give the sili a little longer to cure. Thick sili joints can take some time to fully cure. Even though there's no smell it still may not be set. How long has it been? a week sunday? I'd give it a tad longer if it were me. ....
OK..OK I'm lying..I couldnt stand it if it were me.LOL I'd allready have it full, He'll I wouldnt habve been able to wait for the epoxy. LOL
Really though, why spoil it at this point? Give it a few more days. After all, that is your only seal between glass and the box.

spanko

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2703905
Even now that I feel it is too late to right this wrong, I will sit patiently on the sidelines waiting for Bronco to make his next move.

Seems you have finally made your next move, so here I am too. All that generator and battery back up talk, while probably necessary, is not like talking about water.
Oh water, I wonder when we will see water in this monster.
Oh probably have to have some long drawn out plumbing and sump and fuge discussion first.
Hey Nwdyr, want some popcorn!

PB&J sandwich?

Looking good Bronco

jimvette1

http:///forum/post/2715744
Seems you have finally made your next move, so here I am too. All that generator and battery back up talk, while probably necessary, is not like talking about water.
Oh water, I wonder when we will see water in this monster.
Oh probably have to have some long drawn out plumbing and sump and fuge discussion first.
Hey Nwdyr, want some popcorn!

PB&J sandwich?

Looking good Bronco

All that battery and generator talk was just my way of helping Bronco stall for time, he... he...he.....

As for pictures, just re-run some you've already posted.
We won’t know the difference.....
Oh wait a minute, you’re the one sniffing the silicone, not us

bronco300

hahaha

love the pbj smiley!
you're right, we're going to have a plumbing chat come monday when i get my oceans motion! sump we can bypass because its only one way...don't have many options..i'll show it off though of course, maybe 5 pages worth of sump all by itself,lol
silicone by 3/8 bead take 24hrs to cure, we'll see...hard to decide what to do,lol the silicone is awfully hard, but we'll see.
my kitty to pass the time

spanko

3/8 bead takes 24 hours to cure, You have what, a 3 inch bead? Let's see 3 divided by 3/8 = 8. So 8 days for your silicone to cure??????
Hey nwdyr, forget the snack we are gonna have to start drinking!!!!!!

newbfish

nice build!!!!!

maybe some day I can try something like this but not as big lol
I also like the hat

Born and raised in Denver!!! May move back after college

bronco300

http:///forum/post/2715846
3/8 bead takes 24 hours to cure, You have what, a 3 inch bead? Let's see 3 divided by 3/8 = 8. So 8 days for your silicone to cure??????

lol..but mine isn't 3/8th inch thick...what, little under 1/4..so divided in half, half the cure time...so 6 days?
maybe i'll just tell GE to tell me how long itd be.
Originally Posted by NewbFish

http:///forum/post/2715942
nice build!!!!!

maybe some day I can try something like this but not as big lol
I also like the hat

Born and raised in Denver!!! May move back after college
haha, thanks
gotta love the broncos

newbfish

yea I hoping that they will do very well this year
and Cutler making a breakout year but lets not get off topic
I didn't know you can use that type of silicone or it was aquarium safe. I made a diy sump and had to buy silicone from the lfs. Can you really use that type that you have and expose it to the water?

wattsupdoc

It's 1/4 thick, but it's very wide. My understanding is the area that is not contacting air will need to cure through the area that is ....maybe I'm still hangin out near the money bush again.
Anyway, I think it has to do with air permeating through the sili to cure.....So the sili that is mashed between the glass and the epoxy will take some time. And if the sili is not fully cured then the water will permeate through it. At least it seemed to on my DIY skimmer. Just call GE though

Yes, you can use this type of sili as long as it's pure siliconized rubber and not mildew resistant it's OK.

bronco300

Originally Posted by NewbFish
http:///forum/post/2716001
yea I hoping that they will do very well this year
and Cutler making a breakout year but lets not get off topic
I didn't know you can use that type of silicone or it was aquarium safe. I made a diy sump and had to buy silicone from the lfs. Can you really use that type that you have and expose it to the water?
yep like doc said...you get silicon type I and its safe fer aquariums, and MUCH cheaper than a specialized silicone from an LFS. And i'm hoping the broncos can stay strong finally this year instead of beat the hard teams and lose to the worst ones,lol
Originally Posted by wattsupdoc

http:///forum/post/2716015
It's 1/4 thick, but it's very wide. My understanding is the area that is not contacting air will need to cure through the area that is ....maybe I'm still hangin out near the money bush again.
Anyway, I think it has to do with air permeating through the sili to cure.....So the sili that is mashed between the glass and the epoxy will take some time. And if the sili is not fully cured then the water will permeate through it. At least it seemed to on my DIY skimmer. Just call GE though

Yes, you can use this type of sili as long as it's pure siliconized rubber and not mildew resistant it's OK.
yea, a phone call is going in

nwdyr

http:///forum/post/2715846

+1 on the drink!!! Hey where do you get all those little animations? they are great! Yea seems like you and I leave and all of a sudden he gets some work done...now were back so here goes all the "talk" blah...blah,,,...blah,,,,,WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

bronco300

gasp, my plan foiled!
i'll do water tomorrow most likely jerk! lol...tonight i'll make some supports and tomorrow my buddy and I will be filling this sucker up--where I will have to present him as water worthy.

iyachtuxivm

I saw a frag tank at an lfs made from useing fiberglass instead of epoxy. It had a wood "frame" like yours. No glass though it was a tub. 200 gallons aprox they said. It was 15 years old they had done nothing to it except move it a couple of times. I wonder if the epoxy is that long lasting if so the only issue in many years will be the silicone around the glass. It was cool to see something like this in real life.

brandan

The Wave maker isn't hooked up. That is me swimming btw. . . lol. Water was low 70s, the temp here in Indy today is pretty chilly also, only 72*!!! I was pretty cold. . .

greenreefer

That's awesome, now if only there was enough room to swim after it's stocked, hmm sounds like time to start thinking about the next build, lol.