LARGE Plywood Tank Build

bronco300

haha, i'll have to check out harbor frieght, we actually have one in the city here....
BUT on the up and up, the glass is SETTING!

bronco300

haha, yea right, we had two fans going but it was insanely high fumes in the tank...pretty rough putting your head in there while working on the silicone,lol,should have thought about some masks..but we made it and it is a bit messy, but i think it'll be great!

wattsupdoc

Went a little skimpy on the sili dont you think?
I think you missed a spot.
Lukes good Bronc. Hey is that Richy Cunningham helping out there?

Maybe I should lay off the money tree for a while.

bronco300

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2713621

haha, ask the guy above you, it was him helping

Coral Keeper;2713626 said:
YAY!! The glass is in!!
Can't wait till you start filling it up with water!QUOTE]
yepyepyep,. hopefully this weekend if I can get it back up on the stand

brandan

http:///forum/post/2713621

We figured that the worst that was going to happen would be that it would squeeze out on to the floor, so we went overboard and made sure to have as few air pockets in the silicone as possible. Everything went well, except for the fumes and the one sharp spot that was overlooked by the person that sanded the glass. . . . Next is plumbing for the 8-way Oceans Motion and a Leak Check!!!

jimvette1

http:///forum/post/2713509
Definitely you want a generator Bronc. Harbor freights got some cheap chinese ones if moneys the issue. Don't use a car battery for charging and discharging. You need an automatic charger(conditioner) and a true deep cycle battery, if it's rated anywhere on it in cold cranking amps it isn't a true deep cycle battery.
BTW........ My money tree seed is paying off, thanks. I just gotta get some zip lock baggies and some good scales to go along with it. Also for some reason my house has become real popular with long haired, Tye dyed T shirt, moccasin wearing people. They're not a problem, I'd just like to be able to set on my couch and eat some chips every now and then.

IMO...Only problem with a generator, especially cheap Chinese ones if it doesn't come with an automatic starter and if you don't have it wired to a transfer switch into your panel, then you have to be there to turn it on and manually to transfer the load. Electricians can be very costly to wire this up to code.
A UPS system can be set up a heck of a lot cheaper and you really don't have to worry about the battery because if the power doesn't go off it won’t be used anyway.
And as I stated before a UPS is always on, putting out pure constant filtered power.
And you really only need this on your pumps.
But it's your tank, and at the beginning of your post ( some 18 pages ago) you were asking for suggestions. I am only giving you some options and more stuff to cloud you mind.

I won't bother you anymore about this because everyone is going to have a different opinion^
One more question:
RU still going to have a wave tank? If I remember a while back you removed it.

wattsupdoc

Absolutely a ups would be a benefit, I wasn't trying to rub you. But the generator will give long periods of power. Consistantly. IMO this is much more important that a few hours worth. Through it may be a more rare instance. A couple years ago, we had an ice storm that left thousands without power for weeks. In the dead of January. The LFS were flooded with used tanks for sale afterwards. I believe the reef keepers can be set up to email?
Also you need to be able to run your heaters. Possibly a chiller or other means of cooling the tank if it's in the dead of summer.

bronco300

If I go with something and when i do it would most likely be a generator...yes i'd have to be there...but unless i'm on vacation the probability of me being in the area within a couple hours is 95%...so I don't think there would be too much of an issue...plus if i have the battery backup i have on a pump and heater or just the pump depending on weather it would be enough to hold it over.

nwdyr

GOT GLASS??
havent been around...I was in the RPP ( reefers protection program)

I feel a little thursty ,think I need some............WATER!!!! :)

bronco300

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2715223
GOT GLASS??
havent been around...I was in the RPP ( reefers protection program)

I feel a little thursty ,think I need some............WATER!!!! :)
lol, wondered where you and spanko went, here youve been harrassing all this time and now when i get a big chucnk done, no where to be found! lol

bronco300

Originally Posted by JimVette1
http:///forum/post/2714642
IMO...Only problem with a generator, especially cheap Chinese ones if it doesn't come with an automatic starter and if you don't have it wired to a transfer switch into your panel, then you have to be there to turn it on and manually to transfer the load. Electricians can be very costly to wire this up to code.
A UPS system can be set up a heck of a lot cheaper and you really don't have to worry about the battery because if the power doesn't go off it won’t be used anyway.
And as I stated before a UPS is always on, putting out pure constant filtered power.
And you really only need this on your pumps.
But it's your tank, and at the beginning of your post ( some 18 pages ago) you were asking for suggestions. I am only giving you some options and more stuff to cloud you mind.

I won't bother you anymore about this because everyone is going to have a different opinion^
One more question:
RU still going to have a wave tank? If I remember a while back you removed it.

suggestions are always welcome!

as for the wavebox i'm still not sure...i'd like to have it, but it has just been a mess ever since...so we'll see...still contemplating it....but its not removable, its screwed and glued and epoxied into the tank...its just weather or not i try to finish the epoxy and utilize it or just keep the box out there on the side

jimvette1

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2715309
suggestions are always welcome!

as for the wavebox i'm still not sure...i'd like to have it, but it has just been a mess ever since...so we'll see...still contemplating it....but its not removable, its screwed and glued and epoxied into the tank...its just weather or not i try to finish the epoxy and utilize it or just keep the box out there on the side
Maybe you can use it as a QT for emergencies.^
Just kidding…
From what I have been reading about wave makers it would be a great addition for a tank your size.
Maybe down the road?
Did your glass set ok? Pictures looking good.
Water test soon?
Pictures,…..need more pictures……….

bronco300

Originally Posted by JimVette1
http:///forum/post/2715347
Maybe you can use it as a QT for emergencies.^
Just kidding…
From what I have been reading about wave makers it would be a great addition for a tank your size.
Maybe down the road?
Did your glass set ok? Pictures looking good.
Water test soon?
Pictures,…..need more pictures……….

haha, technically i could use it for a QT...a bit slender though, but tall and wide,lol....i think i want to finish it, i just have to figure out the best way without killing my bank to fix it
the glass looks great...i want to test it on sunday, have to sniff the silicone...for...uh...tank purposes ya know.....haha...no to test to make sure its cured out completely. I can get more pictures, but it'll be the exact same thing