LARGE Plywood Tank Build

acrylic51

I need to expand and do something different and a "woody" is the ticket......... Total challenge of the skills IMO.......Can't wait to see the pics....

bronco300

thats awesome, i think you'll love it!
here is the picture...forget any of the back plumbing as it has changed...so thats the wavebox on the left...just another box with two holes for the pumps to be put in..the pumps will actually be downa bit further...but thats the jist of it
make sense?

acrylic51

Where's the pic?????
Did you use marine grade plywood or just regular plywood? Both the marine grade and regular plywood are both 7ply, and there isn't any special glue used in the marine grade as well, just the inner cores are solid, which you really don't know about with regular plywood. $81.00 per sheet for marine grade!!!!!
Honestly I think the project will keep me quite busy, and actually anxious to start it.....I've done the glass and acrylic tank bit, now time to see the other side......

bronco300

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/2728228
Where's the pic?????
Did you use marine grade plywood or just regular plywood? Both the marine grade and regular plywood are both 7ply, and there isn't any special glue used in the marine grade as well, just the inner cores are solid, which you really don't know about with regular plywood. $81.00 per sheet for marine grade!!!!!
Honestly I think the project will keep me quite busy, and actually anxious to start it.....I've done the glass and acrylic tank bit, now time to see the other side......
haha, you mean you want to SEE the picture? haha,dang it, sorry...here:
even found a better one:

I just used a regular type...a better type of wood, but not marine brand...i think mine were around 40 or so per sheet. If this project doesnt keep you going, the people that are reading about you doing it will, they are slave drivers,haha

spanko

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2728387
If this project doesnt keep you going, the people that are reading about you doing it will, they are slave drivers,haha

Oh boy here we go. Poor abused Bronco, everyone always KEEPING HIM ON TRACK! Please feel sorry for him!
Here we are jawing again, where is the updated work on this tank. Holes in the wall, plumbing up and ready ........

bronco300

haha, shut it ya big jerk! I emptied the tank out last night...and tonight I'll most likely be drilling the holes for the wavebox..ooooooooo

acrylic51

Is (D) labeled in the drawing a drain for a CL? I assume all the other labeled areas are water returns from CL?

bronco300

like a normal tunze wavebox...water enters and exits through the pump/hole area...when the pump is off the water levels in the box and tank equalize...when the pump turns on, it pushes all the water from the box out into the tank, raising the water level...back and forth, back and forth...hello wave

bronco300

not sure...i'll have the pumps on a controller...so once its filled i'll see how often it'll be...depends how quick the pumps empty out the wavebox,etc..but i can change it to some extent

spanko

Cool I am afraid I would have my bed right next to that tank so I could hear the wave action falling asleep.
Cowboy Bronco baby rocking.

acrylic51

Hey Bronco....did you use the MAS or West Epoxy? Still undecided....I can get the West stuff local, but it's more expensive than the MAS. Did you glass your seams or just epoxy? Did you pour the epoxy or roll/brush it? I'll give you a call this weekend if it's good with you.....Are schedules are total opposite
Looks very good by the way......I have a good source for the birch plywood, and still checking a couple sources for Starphire. I was considering using acrylic for the viewing panels, but still haven't been able to locate the adhesive Dow Corning 795 yet........

acrylic51

Sorry for the additional post, but did you see the DIY wavebox and controller over on --? It's in this months -- mag and good details as well.....I'll pick your brain when we talk....

bronco300

http:///forum/post/2729465
Hey Bronco....did you use the MAS or West Epoxy? Still undecided....I can get the West stuff local, but it's more expensive than the MAS. Did you glass your seams or just epoxy? Did you pour the epoxy or roll/brush it? I'll give you a call this weekend if it's good with you.....Are schedules are total opposite
Looks very good by the way......I have a good source for the birch plywood, and still checking a couple sources for Starphire. I was considering using acrylic for the viewing panels, but still haven't been able to locate the adhesive Dow Corning 795 yet........
haha, questions questions questions
...I used MAS because the pricing was just amazing compared to West...and I really liked it to..look at defender.com...its so much cheaper than anywhere else that i've seen. As for the seams I used a stripe of fiberglass on every single one...and before you buy that get with me as I still have a big roll of it left that I shouldn't be needing. I poured my epoxy...I think it's probably easier than rolling...and rolling takes so much longer to get a thick coat..i painted the front and it was not very much fun to me. How deep is yours going to be? I almost went with starphire but heard that there really wasn't that big of a difference unless you had a deeper tank...but I don't know....I just knew i wanted glass so it didnt scratch easier.

http:///forum/post/2729467
Sorry for the additional post, but did you see the DIY wavebox and controller over on --? It's in this months -- mag and good details as well.....I'll pick your brain when we talk....
I did not, you'll have to get me the page sometime

bronco300

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2729245
Cool I am afraid I would have my bed right next to that tank so I could hear the wave action falling asleep.
Cowboy Bronco baby rocking.

It should be wonderful...i'll get a nice sleeper couch out in the entrance room and end up sleeping there,lol

acrylic51

Tank will be 30" deep....got first qoute back on starphire 96"x28"x3/4" $1660.00
I have a couple other sources I'm still checking......