LARGE Plywood Tank Build

bronco300

i should have gotten a picture BEFORE i added them to the 500g...lol, now I have to wait till them come back out

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2819127
well if you think about putting two pieces of wood together, unless they are 100% smooth and flat with no bows, kinds, bends,etc I imagine youd have a space develop just because the wood wouldnt lay perfect...or while pushing the wood down air bubbles got traped in there or something.
1000 is absolutely nuts!! what size panel are you doing? the wavebox i did was extremely easy...i just made the box by itself, and then screwed it into the tank...you can see that if you go back through my pictures....but it was extremely easy, and epoxy would have been simple as well if i would have poured it before attaching thebox to the tank.
Sorry for taking so long.....the wavebox area is where I was thinking about doubled up ply....But thinking about what your saying build the sides and back of the wavebox and epoxy that area and then attach it to the main tank and then I'd just have to worry about epoxing the 1 panel itself????
I'm still considering doing that panel of the tank as an acrylic viewing panel and building the wavebox into that.....would be super easy and less epoxy work as well........I'm taking my time and rabbiting all the joints where everything connects......Following AcroSteves build as well.....The tank is super stiff as it is right now.....2nd guessing my thought about using 1.5" angle as a subframe!!!!!!!

bronco300

i'm not exactly sure what you're thinking wavebox wise...hard for me to picture it...but basically this is what i did.

you can see both the back and bottom panel are the same length...so then here is a pic with the wavebox

so basically the bottom of the wavebox and the back have double the plywood on it but it fits perfectly there so its flush with everything pretty much(alittle off i think)...but now like i said, if i was smart, i would have epoxied the inside of that wavebox first so it was a pain to pour it once attached to the tank...then you can attach it, put on the 45s, and epoxy the sides again...that make sense?
oh, and actually the front of the wavebox was double as well with the framing so it'd all be flush

bronco300

Originally Posted by Snap32
http:///forum/post/2827328
Good luck on the build!! its nice to see someone else who has a wood tank

Thanks! I love it thus far!!!
AND GREAT NEWS~~~ this weekend I am getting the freakin glass finally! So hopefully it'll get built soon and i can finally get the plumbing 100%

loogielv

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/2826717
Thanks!!!!! Did you use cloth or glass tape for the corners?
I've been following this thread, and registered just to make this post. Acrylic, you're hijacking Bronco's thread constantly, asking questions about your own build, which I dont think is a problem really. Especially to someone as helpful as Bronco, but you're just being rude. It's obvious that you haven't read 80% of this thread because you're asking questions that Bronco addressed from the beginning, and then was asked probably 2 more times by people that haven't read the thread either.
I realize there's many months from the first post to this one, but seriously man. Do yourself a favor and go back and reread. You'll ease your mind and you wont detract from this wonderful thread.
I applaud you Bronco, not just for being a wiz with the hammer and nails, but for being so patient. I suppose it's obvious from this thread that you're patient. Not just because of the length of your project, but because of the constant help you attempt to provide. You've even gone back on more than 1 occasion to repost the exact same pictures that are sitting 3 pages back! I applaud you and enjoy this thread completely.
I see alot of ingenuity and ways of doing this that nobody else has attempted in a plywood tank before.

Sorry to make my first post a rant about people not helping themselves, but it gets tiresome reading through the endless "WHOA WHOA! IS THAT THE TANK OR THE STAND?" and "HOW MUCH DID IT COST? HOW BIG IS IT? LOLOLLOOOLOOL" crap.

grubsnaek

LoogieLV easy partner. acrylic has been around for a while, and helps others often. he is not hijacking this thread. if acrylic and someone else where to continue dialoging then yes. that would be hijacking, but he's asking the author of this thread. he asked him for advice and tips on his own build. but why would he just go build without asking. he did the right thing, not trying to come at you but that was harsh. we are all here to help each other. acrylic did nothing wrong, he was asking questions so his build went properly. this is why this board is up here, to read, learn, etc, etc....i personaly think it was rude for you to come out of no where and mention this. im sure others mite chime in, but come on. easy with the aggresion....
Bronco sorry to respond to the last post, but you helping acrylic out doesnt seem like its hurting your thread. 23pages. i would also imagine that you possible enjoy giving advice, since you just went through a build. so the do's and dont's will be helpful to others.

bronco300

haha, ok guys...first answer is there isn't many corals in there yet...maybe 4 frags, nothing special.
As for you the others, it really doesn't matter...yes it can get to be interesting typing at least once on every page how many gallons the tank is...but its ok, it takes only a mere 2 minutes to type it again...I know its hard to go through such a big thread not just wanting to look at pictures,haha. As for acrylic he is ok, he is just getting help for his own build which I am more than happy to help, as long as he doesn't starting putting his build thread into my thread we have no issues
So no worries guys, i understand what you're saying, but its ok, I don't mind helping where I can....but thank you for the compliments, its a long road but it is so rewarding having something so big built by you...that is(thus far) a success.

wattsupdoc

I'd point out, that Acrylic was here helping out lonnnnng before myself, and offered his help to me(and still does) many times. He is absolutley an advanced aqaurist,
I have a lot of respect for him...(Certainly more than that Bronco character)....
and is posting exactly where and how he should be. I see no jacking.

grubsnaek

thats why i stood behind acrylic, cause i didnt think you would mind bronco.......
enough of that.
i dont remember if you actually said a total. but how much live rock will be in the thing when its all said and done...?

bronco300

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2829088
I'd point out, that Acrylic was here helping out lonnnnng before myself, and offered his help to me(and still does) many times. He is absolutley an advanced aqaurist,
I have a lot of respect for him...(Certainly more than that Bronco character)....
and is posting exactly where and how he should be. I see no jacking.
hey now, i will have none of this you! get back to your cage!! back doc back!

Originally Posted by grubsnaek

http:///forum/post/2829095
thats why i stood behind acrylic, cause i didnt think you would mind bronco.......
enough of that.
i dont remember if you actually said a total. but how much live rock will in the thing when its all said and done...?

I really have no clue, one thing i really started hating about my tank was how much i was overloaded with rock...I want tons of room for the fish to enjoy and swim throughout the entire tank....so i probably want about double what i have right now...which I imagine will be about 400-500 lbs...but i'll probably keep it at that...we'll see how it looks.