Lost Blue Reef Chromis (literally)

meowzer

I had a blue reef chromis in my qt cause it had pop-eye a while back.......it was treated and cured 100%
well I left it in there because I was thinking about getting 2 more to go with it......2 days ago it disappeared......NOWHERE to be found :(
all I can guess is it somehow got out and got eaten by a cat

ORRRR....I noticed some bristle worms.....BUT I do not think bristle worms would attack and eat a healthy chromis and leave no evidence.
OH WELL :(

S

siptang

I go with your first theory. I think Meowser saw that it carpet surfed and thought "snack!" and took it gratefully.

I go with your first theory. I think Meowser saw that it carpet surfed and thought "snack!" and took it gratefully.
Maybe the bristleworms were hungry. Meowzer, do you have any rock in the tank the chromis was in?

S

siptang

It would have had to be a HUGE bristle worms lmbo. Because chromis are FAST swimmers and they swim while sleeping not like wrasses and hippo tangs.

meowzer

In this qt....I have a couple of small pieces of rock, a hollow log decoration, and a cave deco...OH and it is full of KENYA.....lol....it is also my kenya DUMPING GROUND

S

siptang

No sally crabs for me also big hermits and big emerald crabs.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/392379/lost-blue-reef-chromis-literally#post_3483625
LOL...I'm going to disagree, I have seen pictures of how fascinated Meowzer was with a bucket of new arrivals...I think a kitty went fishing, and didn't wait for it to go carpet surfing. a shallow QT would be too tempting for a kitty to resist...not like a big tank or a bucket of new fish with "mommy" hanging around to acclimate them.

S

siptang

Flower, after reading your post, I drop my original proposal and will go with yours lol.

meowzer

LOL....there is a top with a small opening where the HOB filter is......the cat never goes on this tank....IDK why
AND...the fish was never on top of the water.....he was ALWAYS in the log or the cave......that is why I find it weird that he would all of a sudden come out and jump.....and the only way he could be caught would be if the cat went swimming

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/392379/lost-blue-reef-chromis-literally#post_3483782
LOL....there is a top with a small opening where the HOB filter is......the cat never goes on this tank....IDK why
AND...the fish was never on top of the water.....he was ALWAYS in the log or the cave......that is why I find it weird that he would all of a sudden come out and jump.....and the only way he could be caught would be if the cat went swimming
LOL..It sounds like the same kind of mystery I faced a few years ago...I had one of those 2g tanks with an UG filter that came with a hood and light. I had a FW beta in it. The fish disappeared from the tank. No body, in or out of the little tank...no way it jumped...it was just gone.
Now...When I had my seahorses in the 30g long (shallow) tank....Little Andrew my fish tank terrorist, grabs one of the SHs with his hand...we yelled at him over it. I never let him near my tanks since. I honestly think Little Andrew may have gone fishing before on the little Beta tank in my den....I have no real proof, just a suspicion.
In your case...if the cat didn't do it...what grandkids have been around?

meowzer

No one has been here but me, my husband and the animals....LOL....I keep expecting it to show up....BUT I have really looked thru all the kenya and everything
after seeing all the baby bristle worms I stopped
BUT I have been removing them with the baster

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/392379/lost-blue-reef-chromis-literally#post_3483788
No one has been here but me, my husband and the animals....LOL....I keep expecting it to show up....BUT I have really looked thru all the kenya and everything
after seeing all the baby bristle worms I stopped
BUT I have been removing them with the baster
LOL...remember my crazy landlord....how far away are your neighbors?

All kidding aside...If the fish died, and you have eaters of the dead...you won't find a body. Most folks have no sand in their QT, just a piece if PVC pipe and a power head or air hose and some type of filter....Thus no bristle worms that feed on the dead.