making bulk live rock

thegrog

I am going to be making a batch tonight. Thanks for the inspiration on the shapes

I'll post pics when I get my neew rocks out of the sand.

korun

Hi guys, im new here. I just started up my first SWT and this sight has helped me alot, so thanks for all the info you all have posted. Any how, scott9311, I would love to see if you would be interested in creating a design for a 55g! I am unable to find the kind of rock layout I would like and yours is exactly what I am looking for, just a tad smaller scale! I was planning on seeding some myself and then I ran across your stuff here and was blown away. I would be more then willing to pay of course. If you are interested please let me know. I would like the arch and a couple of smaller rocks for both sides, just to give you an idea of what I was looking for, nothing to big :)
Thanks in advance
Korun
You can email me at joe_s._napier@hud.gov

scott9311

Originally posted by Korun
Hi guys, im new here. I just started up my first SWT and this sight has helped me alot, so thanks for all the info you all have posted. Any how, scott9311, I would love to see if you would be interested in creating a design for a 55g! I am unable to find the kind of rock layout I would like and yours is exactly what I am looking for, just a tad smaller scale! I was planning on seeding some myself and then I ran across your stuff here and was blown away. I would be more then willing to pay of course. If you are interested please let me know. I would like the arch and a couple of smaller rocks for both sides, just to give you an idea of what I was looking for, nothing to big :)
Thanks in advance
Korun
You can email me at joe_s._napier@hud.gov

Hmmm... let me think on it. Do you live in the MD,DC,VA area?

scott9311

Originally posted by scarr105
Can you use regular play sand to create your LR molds in? Or does that have chems in it.

I use Tropical Play Sand (Southdown), but any sand should be fine. Some sticks to the rock, but curing it for 5 weeks should eliminate any harmful chems that may be present.

scott9311

Originally posted by TheGrog
I am going to be making a batch tonight. Thanks for the inspiration on the shapes

I'll post pics when I get my neew rocks out of the sand.

Your welcome Grog! Glad I could help! Look forward to seeing pics of your new rocks...

korun

Hmmm, let me think about it as well then :) I may need to see about the art of creating it myself but I am bad at that kind of stuff :thinking:

scarr105

How many pieces can you may at once using the fish box styrofoam? I know it will depend on the size of the rocks your making but on average how many do you fit into your styrofoam box.

scott9311

How many pieces can you may at once using the fish box styrofoam? I know it will depend on the size of the rocks your making but on average how many do you fit into your styrofoam box.

About 3-4 pieces.

scarr105

I tried my hand at making LR last night and I think it was a disaster. I had the sand to water so when I pour the cement in the mold it got soupy but I just covered it up and hoping for the best. I'm not giving up yet I'll give it another shot in a couple days after this first attempts dries out.

scott9311

I tried my hand at making LR last night and I think it was a disaster. I had the sand to water so when I pour the cement in the mold it got soupy but I just covered it up and hoping for the best. I'm not giving up yet I'll give it another shot in a couple days after this first attempts dries out.

Either your sand was too wet (it should just be damp), or your concrete mix had too much water. Try cutting back on how much you add...

suver569

Originally posted by scott9311
...or.... you can use 1 part Portland Type I/II Cement, mixed w/ 4-5 parts crushed oyster shells and water... and make your own! I'm currently in the process of doing that now (made my 1st one last night). Just have to make sure you cure it (5-6 weeks) or your PH will go through the roof.

That really work? You just shape it into whatever patterns/shapes you want? Also, where do you pick up the crushed oyster shells? Can you use crushed coral?

scott9311

Originally posted by suver569
That really work? You just shape it into whatever patterns/shapes you want? Also, where do you pick up the crushed oyster shells? Can you use crushed coral?

It REALLY works! Just take a look at the pics :) I get the oyster shells at a farm supply store in Annapolis. I guess you could use crushed coral... can't say for sure though for I've not tried it.

suver569

Originally posted by scott9311
It REALLY works! Just take a look at the pics :) I get the oyster shells at a farm supply store in Annapolis. I guess you could use crushed coral... can't say for sure though for I've not tried it.

Well cool, we have a couple of farm supply stores around here. I'm gonna go check them out today. This sounds like alot of fun.

A

andretti

Hey Scotty, Andretti again. In regards to selling your stuff on that famous auction site, I found an alternative. I made about 150lbs (I "borrowed" some of your shapes)
Hope you don't mind. Anyway, I went to my lfs and said "Let's do some business." He was all over it! Now I have about $130 worth of store credit. If I can remember correctly, It cost me about $38.00 for supplies, plus I have about 1/4 of my stuff left (materials). He was selling my stuff (your design)
for $14-$30. I gave him a total of 12 pieces (uncured). I'm thinking about raising my prices (just a little) maybe an extra .25 per pound :thinking: because he can't keep these things in stock. My sons love helping me (I make them do the dirty work)
Anyway, you should do the same. Take a few examples and see what they say. He does not pay me and I don't pay him...we just trade. It works for the both of us. You should try it. And the rest of you out there, you try it too. It takes time, and LOTS of elbow grease, but it's worth it!:cheer: It's about time we get a break from all of these insane prices we have to pay for not just live rock, but supplies, filters, fish, corals, etc.
I sell them for $1.25 per lb. and he sells them for $3.00 per lb. They cost about a dime per-pound to make. :D

scott9311

GREAT idea Andretti!!!!
I may just have to try that out...:thinking: I'm really glad it worked for you, and am just as happy to think I might have played a small part in it:)

shiby1510

I read from scotty that any sand would work... which makes me much happier due to southdown being even hard for me to find and i live in PA!! well anyways... i was wondering if you could just get a trashcan and fill it with regular sand and freshwater... and that would cure it?? therefore you could have just any old sand but cure it to use as a substrate? thanks! just an idea?? lemme know! :thinking: :jumping: