Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

rotarymagic

ok so on the spray bar...
single slit all the way across the bottom or a bunch of holes?
If its a single slit, how wide?
I've seen both in this thread so I thought I'd see what the updated general consensus is...

santamonica

Successes of the Day:
brianhellno on the MFK site: "Just wanted to share my success with a turf scrubber with my freshwater tank. Currently I have a 125 with (5) 6-inch piranha, (6) 4-inch giant danios, about (20) 1-inch baby black cons, (2) 2-inch green terrors, (2) 2-inch jack dempseys, and (1) 2.5 inch blue malawi cichlid. The smaller fish were all supposed to be feeders, but the piranha ignore them. Anyways I've had the scrubber up and running for almost three weeks now and I finally tested the water parameters: Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 5 ppm. Not too bad! Usually the Nitrate sits around 40 to 80 ppm right before a water change, so this is definitely an improvement. All I can say is thanks for the great idea!
worley on the scrubber site: "Well just got my phosphate test kit and did a test... *drumroll* .... 0ppm. It's the API phosphate test kit, and it was the very lightest green on the salt water card (0ppm). That's a great result, especially as I'm now feeding tonnes into the tank, 1 block of brine shrimp and 1 of mysis, plus some live brine (fed with live phyto a an hour before feeding to the fish) and some pellet foods. [...] I still can't get over the phosphate test, and how low the nitrates are considering there's not been a water change in 2 months and so much food has gone in.
jan on the RPhil site: "Today is my 24th day of cycling, I measured my water my parameters and here are the result: Nitrate 0ppm. Turf algae is almost all over my screen Razz !!!! thanks for this great Idea!

rotarymagic

Ugh... I have alot of splashing.. I'm trying to put up a rubber shield around the scrubber.. it does stick an inch into the water.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by SantaMonica
http:///forum/post/2860295
Can you post a pic of where the splashing is happening?
I just put some live rock around the area where the splash is going into the water and it's catching most of it... there's a rubber shield now around 3 sides of the screen.. that's helping as well..

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2860800
Try slowing the flow; if set properly, water should stick to the screen and flow straight down it.
All water from the overflow drains over the screen.. its out of a 15gallon tank.. I'd guess the screen has about 250gph flowing over it.. 7inches wide, 9or so high.

santamonica

Builds/Designs Of The Week:
Aqualityplace on the UR site:

Nickq on the UR site:

Dave3441 on the UR site:

RentalDeceptionist on the UR site:

Workers99 on the UR site:

santamonica

Riaanp on the MASA site; this is on the back of a nano. The light is actually inside of the compartment, and he says it does not get wet at all:

Franske on the MASA site:

santamonica

Enatiello on the RS site:

GlaringToast on the MFT site:

Jan on the RP site:

IamFood on the SG site:

Johntanjm on the SG site:

alexxze

http:///forum/post/2856228
I don't think you can seed real turf. It just washes off. Instead just buy a pre-grown screen from IA.
My acrylic is doing great; averaging a half pound (wet) algae per week. No major mods needed to the design, yet.
I'm not sure I understand your design plan; maybe you can make a simple drawing?

No need for a drawing. It's similar to your design only both lights are on the same side and the overall unit is taller so you have an upper and lower light with a longer screen. Mine won't be as wide as yours, perhaps only 12".
Since I knew with the holidays upon us I wouldn't have time to be cutting and gluing Plexi and have it turn out the way I wanted I decided to build a trash can version now and put the Plexi version off until January. I was able to put it together in half a day including the trip to Home Depot for pluming parts. I did splurge a little and decided to try a little upgrade on the lighting so I purchase two of the outdoor floodlight fixtures that use the FluoreX bulbs. They are 27 watt fluorescent (150w eq) that are 6500k. The cool thing is that I was able to get the fixture down into the trash can and literally 2 inches parallel from the screen on both sides. I'm really curious to see how it performs.

diy

hey guys,
I'm new to the forum. I've been researching SWT's for about three weeks now and I plan on building a 50 gallon reef tank. I read through most of the thread and this seems to be a really interesting. I just need you guys to clarify one thing: Is it the ONLY filtration I need because if so, this would save me lots of money.
Thanks