Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

rotarymagic

I would say you need liverock, sand, flow, carbon, and the turf scrubber.. possibly a skimmer depending on the fishload.

diy

thanks rotarymagic!
I will definently have liverock, sand, and flow. I didn't know about the carbon.
thanks

santamonica

Alexxze: With those powerful bulbs, you'll have some great filtering.
diy: You have the advantage of starting new. Rock (and maybe sand) are a given; when most people say "filters" they mean add-on units. Since your tank will be new, you can keep the filtration a scrubber, and monitor nitrate and phosphate as you slowing add/grow/feed more livestock. When the scrubber can no longer handle the load (i.e., nitrate and phosphate will slowly start rising over several weeks, and will not come back down), then you can buy some additional filters.

diy

Originally Posted by SantaMonica
http:///forum/post/2863339
Alexxze: With those powerful bulbs, you'll have some great filtering.
diy: You have the advantage of starting new. Rock (and maybe sand) are a given; when most people say "filters" they mean add-on units. Since your tank will be new, you can keep the filtration a scrubber, and monitor nitrate and phosphate as you slowing add/grow/feed more livestock. When the scrubber can no longer handle the load (i.e., nitrate and phosphate will slowly start rising over several weeks, and will not come back down), then you can buy some additional filters.
should the additional filter be carbon only or somthing else? I'd rather get all the filters I need now than add the additional filters later.
Thanks

saltygerman

Hello Santa Monica. Don't get upset f I missed this just flew thru the thread. But I will go back and read thoroughly! I went to a LFS today that had several turf scrubbers and swear by them. Their models were counterweighted(for lack of a better term) And when they filled with water they would pivot and dump the water starting cycle all over again...They were covered in algae. Aby advantage to these that would outway the obvious space disadvantage???

culp

Originally Posted by saltygerman
http:///forum/post/2863454
Hello Santa Monica. Don't get upset f I missed this just flew thru the thread. But I will go back and read thoroughly! I went to a LFS today that had several turf scrubbers and swear by them. Their models were counterweighted(for lack of a better term) And when they filled with water they would pivot and dump the water starting cycle all over again...They were covered in algae. Aby advantage to these that would outway the obvious space disadvantage???
do you have any idea how long it is going to take you to read all of this?

santamonica

should the additional filter be carbon only or somthing else? I'd rather get all the filters I need now than add the additional filters later.
Diy, carbon does not reduce Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate, which is what causes nuisance algae on your rocks, sand and glass. Skimmers don't remove it either. A scrubber removes it very well, and if your scrubber is built and operated properly, you should not need additional "filters" for ongoing use. If you are planned a fish-only (no corals) tank, and you are going to be feeding very very heavy, then you should get a skimmer also to start out with. But if it's going to be a reef, then a scrubber alone will do all the work.
I went to a LFS today that had several turf scrubbers and swear by them. Their models were counterweighted(for lack of a better term) And when they filled with water they would pivot and dump the water starting cycle all over again
Did you go to Inland Aquatics? They were the only dealers for those types of scrubbers, unless they now have shipped to other stores. Anyways, the scrubbing process is the same, totally identical. The only difference is cost, size, noise, etc. Currently there is nobody who makes waterfall scrubbers, so you have to make it yourself, or hire someone from the scrubber-builder directory to do it for you. The dumping-styles scrubbers are ready to use. (make sure the screens are removeable, so you can clean them in a sink.)

saltygerman

Did you go to Inland Aquatics? They were the only dealers for those types of scrubbers, unless they now have shipped to other stores. Anyways, the scrubbing process is the same, totally identical. The only difference is cost, size, noise, etc. Currently there is nobody who makes waterfall scrubbers, so you have to make it yourself, or hire someone from the scrubber-builder directory to do it for you. The dumping-styles scrubbers are ready to use. (make sure the screens are removeable, so you can clean them in a sink.)
Yes It was Inland Aquatics in Terre Haute In. I didn't think you would be familiar with them being in Cali.
I think I'm sold on the Idea....
Could this be made just to hang over refugium and drain into it or would algae go nuts in my fuge???

santamonica

Could this be made just to hang over refugium and drain into it or would algae go nuts in my fuge???
Yes most people do it this way. It does not start growing in the fuge; actually the opposite... it pulls algae from the fuge.
Can i turn off the lights at night for this?say at about 12 am and back on at 6 am?...about 6 hours total?
Yes you actually must turn lights off; six hours OFF is perfect.

sly

Originally Posted by saltygerman http:///forum/post/2863454
Their models were counterweighted(for lack of a better term) And when they filled with water they would pivot and dump the water starting cycle all over again...They were covered in algae. Aby advantage to these that would outway the obvious space disadvantage???
Here's some info on a surge device I made... No moving parts and a very small footprint. I've been using it since September with no problems at all. Since I put a lid on the bucket it has become completely silent...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/333274/simple-diy-surge-device

santamonica

Feeding update: I've begun increased feeding, because my clown tang is getting skinny, and also because I want to try to keep a variety of non-photo NPS corals. So in my 90g with scrubber-only filtration, I'm currently feeding 4 cubes mysis, 5 ml Reed's Shelfish Diet (phyto), 5 ml Reed's Rotifeast, and 5 ml Reed's Arctipods (copepods), and 2 krill (for white eel) daily. Also one whole silverside weekly (for blue eel). For reference, 1 ml is about 2 pumps from a typical phyto pump bottle.
Since I increased to this amount, I'm now getting my first detectable readings in several months (Salifert). Nitrate is a slight pink... varies between .1 and 1. Phosphate is a barely visible blue; sometimes I'm not sure if it's really blue or not, but it's definitely not the crystal clear it used to be.
Pink coralline is continuing to take over, and the last two square inches of nuisance film algae disappeared last week. Some spots of cyano are still trying to hold on, but the coralline is overtaking them.
So the goal now is to see how much I can actually feed while still keeping N an P low. I don't think they need to be undetectable; I think my goal is to keep nuisance algae from forming, while at the same time being able to sustain non-photo NPS corals. BTW I added a few SPS frags on my new frag tray, and they seem to be doing well.

silencio530

i just did my very first one of these scrubbers....its ontop of my main display without it being noticible
one thing mainly is that it might make alot of the algea go into my tank and it does make alot of bbubles in my tank
any suggestions i will post up a picture of it soon ...i used a 2.5 gallon aquarium from the fish store ..and the canopy i have keeps it from being visible
any suggestions on the bubbles ..and it mainly does bubbles because its a 1 inch return and it is too much return im running it with a rio 600
small pump but still a little too much for the piping ..maybe i can add something where the water drains out to minimize noise and bullbles without it clogging up

santamonica

No, algae will not go into your tank (unless it breaks off the screen, which it won't do if you have the proper screen with holes in it.)
Yes do post a pic, and we'll see. Also, here's a plan for reducing bubbles:

silencio530

thanx i will post up pics asap ..
one thing woth it is that the bubbles appear because my pump had a hole that minimised flow to the scrubber i added a little air valve regulator and worked like a charm i also added 1 bio ball to minimize the little cyclone it creates and i think thats what makes the bubbles ...
thank you so much {i bearly saw this i saw a freakin word on here and i just sanked my heart went boom ...i didnt mean that word if u did catch it it was a typo} i apreciate it