Meowzer's LED build

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/920#post_3467153
Have you considered the idea that maybe the tank has reached an age where organics over time have finally built up to a point to where the current conditions can no longer sustain a lower nutrient environment without great difficulty?
NO...cause I have no idea what you are talking about? I feed good foods.....use good salt....feed coral specific food a couple of times a week...
Should I be adding something else????

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/940#post_3467154
NO...cause I have no idea what you are talking about? I feed good foods.....use good salt....feed coral specific food a couple of times a week...
Should I be adding something else????
Talking about what some people might refer to as old tank syndrome. Doesn't really have to do with the quality or necissarily the types of foods. More to do with organics being built up (trapped) in the rock work and such. Read quite a few stories many tanks, some sooner than others reaching a point in time that typically begins 2+ or more years after the tanks been up and running. Lots of folks seem to run into this same hurdle at a different point in time in their specific tanks life span.
The best SPS tanks that I've seen seem to always have been set up right from the beginning for that. But some can maintain in a higher nutrient environment while others theres no way they'd ever thrive. Not sure what else I could possibly suggest that you haven't already tried that wouldn't require major changes to the system.
Not sure if this would help but have you considered maybe swapping some of the rock work out? Maybe slowly, one piece at a time kinda thing over an extended period.

C

cidly43

Did your LED 220 G corner bow completed?
It seems that you think over for this project.
Is that perfect.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/940#post_3467159
swapping it out with rock from one of my other tanks????
Was thinking more along the lines of dry rock that you can pre cure. Where you could just change 1 or two small pieces at a time, let liven up a bit for maybe a few weeks, then do another piece, etc. I don't know if that would help you or not it's more like an idea than it is a suggestion. I always have ideas but they are not always good ones. You seem to have already ran the gamut of the most obvious types of solutions. I would consider the tank as it stands today as being over stocked at this point.
Possible ideas that might help...
Go with a bigger sump that would significantly increase water volume and allow you to grow more macro in a fuge.
Consider analyzing the current fuge set up and see if it can be improved or maximized.
Adding another or more larger reactor for nutrient/removal media.
Change water more frequently.
Try increasing the bio diversity of life in the system. Like the idea of maintaining the sand bed by swapping a cup or two once a year with a different source. Maybe that could work with rocks as well.
Consider a system with less fish if you want more of a variety of sps with the current system design. Or consider less fish in the system period.
Just thoughts...

meowzer

Well.....I do not plan on adding any more fish....I do think I am "at the stock level"......I did add the fluval....and also another Koralia 1050
Jeff may be coming here in a couple of weeks to p/u a light....do you think I should ask him to bring some sand? LOL.....
I really do not have room for a larger sump.....so water changes....and filtering seem to be my best choice right now

C

cidly43

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/940#post_3467169
Well.....I do not plan on adding any more fish....I do think I am "at the stock level"......I did add the fluval....and also another Koralia 1050
Jeff may be coming here in a couple of weeks to p/u a light....do you think I should ask him to bring some sand? LOL.....
I really do not have room for a larger sump.....so water changes....and filtering seem to be my best choice right now
Is there too much fish to live well?
The space seem to be small,Maybe U can change a large tank.
lol.
The problem will be done.
Good luck to you and your fish.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/940#post_3467169
Might not hurt. Can't imagine you get too many opportunities to do that out where you live. Maybe Bang Guy would have some thoughts on that. Not so sure about adding rock from someone else's tank (no offense Jeff). I'm leary of that and is why I was thinking more along the lines of dry rock for the earlier idea of swapping rock out. I figured the sump idea would be out. You are growing macro in a fuge currently, no? If so, how often to you have to cut it back?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/940#post_3467174
I was talking about sand...LOL....I have nothing in the sump.....I tried chaeto but it kept dieing
I know you was. I'd re examine that and try to find out why. If you could get your fuge going good that might help out quite a bit. I like the idea of growing macro in a fuge, but I'm also a believer in the idea that if you're going to do it as a way to help keep nuisance algae from out of the display than you should consider the environment that it's growing in every bit as important as the environment for your corals if it's going to out compete the stuff in the display. And if nutrient supply isn't the issue than I'd have to look at lighting...oh yeah, you know where this is going.
No, but seriously I'd take a second look at the fuge out of shear curiosity.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/920#post_3467143
WELL....My fish are excellent...LOL....BUT due to the "algae" issues I think my corals have suffered some....the BTA's are growing amazingly, as are the leathers, and ricordea, frogspawn, galaxea, and some other little zoas
The SPS
....I have not seen such great things .... Maybe I am just not meant to do sps.....I have growth....just NOTHING like I have seen on others threads....
Meowzer I know your pretty attentive to the tank, but what are your parameters.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/920#post_3467151
What kind of SPS may I ask? The algae issues would be one clue and may be THE or A reason for seeing poor results in the small stonies as which you are already well aware. What's happening with them, what do they look like? Sometimes changing over to diy led can lead to an excess of growth from the symbiotic algae in the coral tissue and it will cause some SPS to brown out. While this might not always be desirable for most it doesn't necessarily mean the coral is suffering.
Agree the algae issue is possibly a clue as to something going on within the tank, and I agree the switch to LEDs has been reported in some cases when the acclimation is to abrupt browning happens......
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/920#post_3467152
I have a sunset monti that is growing....but really slow.....a deepwater acro that is doing very well.....a red planet table that is growing out...not up, a green velvet acro that is doing the same, a purple nana that is only growing out,
I know the algae was an issue.....most fuzzy's are gone now, BUT I still get some of the brownish stuff, but I blow it off everything every few days...IDK....I am going to do a good water change this weekend, and go from there....
I know you had mentioned about your feeding and supplementing regimen, but probably one of the biggest keys is water quality with SPS.....Not saying your off or quality isn't good, but if you actually sit and read some of the TOTM write ups and such you'll see that is a major area they stress. Some will tell you it's about your lights and what you feed, but that's honestly a very small portion of the equation.
>
Some of the growth your explaining about growing outward instead of up could have something to do with the flow inside the tank itself. You'll see people as their tanks mature/grow in that they have to reconfigure rock work and flow inside the tank, and flow would factor into the way a coral would grow IMHO.....
I know you had implemented a regimen of maintenance on your sand bed as well......I see nothing wrong and it honestly does need to be done probably yearly seeding your sand bed. Again I'm a big "instigator" about sand beds, and their maintenance, but they surely need to be "recharged" at some point and that would come from a cup or 2 from an outside source; but a trusted source as Corey pointed out......
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/920#post_3467153
Have you considered the idea that maybe the tank has reached an age where organics over time have finally built up to a point to where the current conditions can no longer sustain a lower nutrient environment without great difficulty?
Those nutrients would probably be at the top of my list of important suspects. Can't totally rule out the light but it sounds like everything else is doing pretty good.
Thought I'd share some pics that I snagged of tanks under diy leds.
Tank under leds for 8 months...

Tank under leds for 1.5 years...

Tank under leds for 10 months ....

ish.com/image/id/630673/width/350/height/263" target="_blank">

Tank under leds for 2 months (I think)...first month second month

Excellent pics Corey!!!!! Actually good proof for Seth as to the abilities of LEDs and for anyone else who thinks it's still a bit early.....

meowzer

I'll check some parameters tomorow, or by the weekend...can't remember what they usually run, but do know they run within the range that is suggested
I have been messing with the flow directions for a while now...I added a new K1050....the Fluval too......I adjust as I see necessary...BUT not too much so I can actually see if anything changes...
I cut WAY down on feeding, and stopped almost all supplements after we discussed this a while back ;)
I just do not know what else to do.,...I so wish someone could see it in person and direct me :( I am getting really frustrated.....
FOR NOW THO.....BED TIME HAHA

acrylic51

Meowzer I'm pretty sure with your SPS you'll want your parameters a lot tighter than within range....These guys can be very finicky.....Try to get a good run down of Phos, and your Mag as well.....What are you using to test with, and what foods are you supplementing, and are you dosing anything like 2 part.......What is your consumption rate as well for Ca and Alk......

meowzer

for basics I have API....most others are Salifert
I don't dose anything....was using H20pro variety foods...BUT am now out :( waiting for a delivery tomorrow actually......I have algae sheets...and vitamins...the vitamins I use here enad there
use tropic marin pro salts now too
I will give exact parameters tomorrow night or Friday

S

siptang

Awesome tank Corey!!
I totally envy your sps tank...
I just started getting into SPS and gotta say that I don't find anything else as attractive after I got into SPS.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/940#post_3467242
Awesome tank Corey!!
I totally envy your sps tank...
I just started getting into SPS and gotta say that I don't find anything else as attractive after I got into SPS.
They are beautifull, no? Unfortunately they're not mine. I snagged them off of a thread that was dedicated to sps tanks that were running leds. Unfortunately I can't share the link with you here because some administrator has a wild hair up his bum and doesn't know how to move past it. But anyways those were just a few examples. Maybe once my build is done then one day may tank will look as nice as those. Just wanted to illustrate some the potential that leds are capable off.

S

siptang

Ahhhhh I see....
I have LED set up as well with quad T5 but still I haven't seen some crazy growth that some of these people are having..
It's probably because my LEDs are 1w bulbs. T_T