Meowzer's LED build

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387353/meowzer-s-led-build/80#post_3408635
How are these

CREE XP-G Neutral White 3W LED with 40 degree White Lens
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-134/CREE-XP-dsh-G-Neutral-White/Detail

Yeah I would go with those.
So the fixture would have:
48 Royal blue
24 Blue
48 Cool white
24 Neutral
I assume you were ordering a few extras to have on hand right? Is that why you have 50's and 25 counts up there?
To answere you question a few posts back then, yes. Folks are building with neutrals not warms.

meowzer

LOL....I sent the wrong list...but resent the right one....HAHA
AND YES.....there are a couple of extras

meowzer

SINCE I AM ON A NEW PAGE......I will repost the updated list
6 - 5.886" x 23" heatsink from heatsinkusa $245.44 with shipping
RAPID LED ITEMS
159 total LEDS as follows
9 Royal Blue leds $2.50 ea (no lense required)
25 creexp-e blue leds with 55 deg lense $5 ea
50 creexp-e royal blue with 40deg lense $4.60 ea
50 creexp-g R5 cool white led with 40 deg lense $6 ea
25 cree xp-g neutral white 3w led with 40 deg lense $6 ea
3 tubes arctic alumina thermal adhesive $6.99 ea
1 DYI 2 color dimming kit $30
JAMECO ITEMS
1 Meanwell ELN-60-48D Dimmable (for moonlights) $31.95
FROM GRAINGER
8 6 terminal terminal strips stock#6yh65 $8.42 ea
4 2 terminal terminal strips stock #6yh63 $2.84 ea
2 tubes acrylic glue stock # 4yxo5 $28.20 ea
1 48 x 96 x 1/8 clear acrylicsheet stock# 1unw6 $110.15
1 48 x 96 x 1/4 black acrylic stock# 1upa9 $194.25

FROM REEFLEDLIGHTS.com
2 2 fan kits with power suppy $15.95 ea.
1 10k linear potentiometer $3.45
1 knob for above $3
Power SupplyEmporium
2 Hlg240H-48B $98.47 ea……total order $214.42
FROM DIGIKEY.com
25 fuses part# F2313-ND $13.27
20 Resistors part# UB5C-1.0-ND $14.52
Legend
RED=on order
Black=to be ordered
Blue=Received

2quills

Yeah, looks good Meow. I'm with Shawn and understand the use of warm whites for much better growth. But unless you have a way to dim or control them independantly then you're probably gonna hate the look of they color they produce. We were talking about adding some into our builds and have them come on like mid day when we're not around to have to see it just strictly for better growth purposes. And then you could have them turned off in the evening when you're viewing the tank and have a color more pleasing to look at. The neutrals are a way of meeting in the middle of the cool whites and warm whites. They will have a bit of a yellowish look but you combat this by driving your blues a little higher than the whites and it will create a nice balance so you won't be able to tell. You'll get better color out of certain colors of corals with having them on there as apposed to all cool white.
Here's a summery of colors that was put together by some folks somewhere else other than here lol.
Color
Warm Whites (WW) - Very warm. Difficult to blend with bluer colors. Not commonly used. Blaster stated mixing a 3:1 ( RB:WW ) ratio will bring out the Willy Wonka in you.
Neutral White (NW) - The preferred white color. A much more natural color that brings out warmer colors in coral. Best matched with RB in a 2:1 RB:NW ratio provided you are using NW LEDs that can do 180 lumens at 700mA (the Chinese variants usually cannot).
Cool White (CW) - Very bright and efficient but dull in warmer colors. Replaced by NW as the preferred white LED. Some users have reported better color when using both CW and NW in an array while othes say NW+RB can achieve the same color output. There is a wide variation in the color tempurature of different bins of LEDS. The DX bin of Crees and most Chinese LEDs are typically cooler (more blue) in the 6000K - 10000K range. Cree XP-G are more blue than Cree XR-E.
Cool Blue (aka Blue, aka Standard Blue) (CB or - On the greener/blue side. These bring out the colors the neutral white and royal blues wont [what colors?]. Can easily overpower other leds leading to a 'windex' look. Blends well with NW and RB, consider runnning without optics to blend better.
Royal Blue (RB) - A must have. When your working with cool white or neutral white is the go-to blue.
Cyan - VERY green unless you are able to choose your exact binning. They can bring some wicked colors out but leave an awful green shadow everywhere. Even when clustered closely I would not recommend these to the average DIYer.
Red ( R ) - Very difficult to blend with other colors. Even a single red in a fixture can be distracting. Consider running reds on lower power (with a dimmer) and without optics. There is some debate that red wavelengths inhibit coral growth. Preference is to use NW leds to being out red colors.
True Violet (V or TV) - Litte impact of visual appearance, slight pop on certain colors, little or no purple added to overall color. Primary usage would be for growth. Use with caution (PAR meter preferably) since they put out more light than is visible. Difficult to source.

meowzer

My head is spinning

I only added my input as far as I do not want yellow....lol and I do not want DARK BLUE I like a 14K look
the lights themselves were picked out by "others"

2quills

Rest assured that with the simple turn of a couple of knobs you will be able to dial in a color that makes you happy lol.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387353/meowzer-s-led-build/80#post_3408652
I hope so....LOL...You guys might have to come and do the tweaking....LOL....Do you hunt?? HAHA
You will and it will be easy.
I haven't hunted in ages. Years ago I found these places where you can purchase meat that's already been prepared, I think they call them grocery stores. All the dirty work is done for ya, it's pretty amazing.

I still love to shoot though.

acrylic51

I haven't hunted since my grandfather passed away a couple years ago!!!! Meowzer any money left in the budget for 2 plane tickets your way??? I could even use phone coverage as an excuse not to return calls if I was out there!!!!:laughing:

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/387353/meowzer-s-led-build/80#post_3408698
I haven't hunted since my grandfather passed away a couple years ago!!!! Meowzer any money left in the budget for 2 plane tickets your way??? I could even use phone coverage as an excuse not to return calls if I was out there!!!!

LOL....HMMMM...woul have to check cheaptickets.com

meowzer

WOOT WOOT!!!! Heat sink has shipped...should be here Tuesday, YAYYYY. Tomorrow evening we go to HD for "miscellaneous" items like aluminum channel. solder...etc....I will take pics

al&burke

So what is the formula for number of bulbs to tank size - I guess depth has a lot to do with it as well, meowzer I appologize if I am hijacking your thread. How many moonlights or are the blue one's just dimmed/

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/387353/meowzer-s-led-build/80#post_3409034
So what is the formula for number of bulbs to tank size - I guess depth has a lot to do with it as well, meowzer I appologize if I am hijacking your thread. How many moonlights or are the blue one's just dimmed/
The general rule is 1 led for every 12-15 square inches of surface are Al. Leaning more towards 12 for deeper tanks and or SPS.
I think she's gonna use 9 leds for the moonlights on a dimmable driver.

al&burke

Thanks Corey - good information - you guys should set up a consulting web page - or we could work out a swap for some drawings. Hey meowzer do you need a drawinf to lay out your LED - would be happy to help.