Meowzer's LED build

C

cidly43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/940#post_3467281
Ahhhhh I see....
I have LED set up as well with quad T5 but still I haven't seen some crazy growth that some of these people are having..
It's probably because my LEDs are 1w bulbs. T_T
1W T5 How many Lamp beads?And the total power?
If you can,plz share your problems with us.
I believe we will learn more from these.

S

siptang

Marineland Reef Capable LED
3000 something lumens with 1w LEDs
4 bulb t5 set up with gielsman (?) 2 actnic blue +, purple, coralife 10k 54w HO T5 bulbs.

acrylic51

Siptang.....Some believe the main key to a beautiful tank as the 1 Corey posted is due to lighting......Contrary to belief lighting is just a small piece of the pie.....You can have the best lights made, and still not achieve those results.....Water chemistry is a major key.....Stability......

C

cidly43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/387353/meowzers-led-build/960#post_3467427
Marineland Reef Capable LED
3000 something lumens with 1w LEDs
4 bulb t5 set up with gielsman (?) 2 actnic blue +, purple, coralife 10k 54w HO T5 bulbs.
I think the problem is how much light your plant absorb.Is photosynthesis goes well.
It needs blue light and red light more ,especially bule light.

S

siptang

Hey Shawn,
I agree with what you say, however my water has been pristine.
my water has been since Jan.
ammonia 0
nitrite, trate 0
phosphate 0
ph 8~8.1
calcium 460
alk 11 (slowed down with kalk mixing to bring this down a little bit)
I'm thinking that it's the lights that's not giving enough par for the hard corals. But it's just my guess.

king_neptune

Hey Shawn,

I agree with what you say, however my water has been pristine.

my water has been since Jan.

ammonia 0
nitrite, trate 0
phosphate 0
ph 8~8.1
calcium 460
alk 11 (slowed down with kalk mixing to bring this down a little bit)

I'm thinking that it's the lights that's not giving enough par for the hard corals. But it's just my guess.

You may want to consider raising your nitrate levels a little higher. Contrary to popular belief many Corals need levels of around 10-20 to properly convert their nutrient intakes(Dissolved Organic Nitrogen). Many people claim to do better at levels of 20-25. I notice my polyp extension seems to come out best around 15-20 range. Also, your Calcium might be a little on the high side, but that's just really more of a personal taste issue. Dont change on my account, we all have our own personal sweet spot we like. But you really should also consider testing your Magnesium levels as well to see how it balances against your Alk and Calcium levels.
I like to keep mine at:
9dkh
But that's just me, I found the only problem with it like this is I end up having to scrape off Coraline every few weeks from the glass. The stuff just grows too damn fast. Also don't forget feeding your corals as well as dosing to keep your levels maintained. Its more than just clean water, flow and lighting. Im very fortunate that I don't have to do any Kalk drip in my system. I just dose once a week with a two part mix (one for each of the big three), and make sure to feed the buggers every few days a little something extra to make everyone happy.
I was thinking Id like to get into making my own phyto and roti still and having that sit in a window later this summer. It would be pretty sweet to make my own foods onsite like that ^_^

S

siptang

Lol, I'm surprised that you actually know what gremlins are Justin.

meowzer

Well the lights work great...LOL.....the blues are amazing
I have the same issues with corals tho......can't seem to keep sps....leathers and anemones are amazing as are mushrooms....>SO I have decided to try different types of shrooms

meowzer

Yeah....I have some.....they are hit or miss with me...some do well for a while....then slowly disappear....I have no clue why,,,,I have not found any lately that I am willing to pay a lot for haha