mesh mod ?

trippkid

I really depends on where the air is entering the flow of water, on the intake side of the pump, yes. Venturi on the output side of the pump, no. I could be wrong, just seems like there would be nothing to "chop up" as far as bubbles until after the venturi. But any that use the air intake at the pump inlet can be modded, IMO.
Matt

isistius

Originally Posted by TurningTim
I would imagine you can. I did a Gutter guard mesh on my OR 2700. What pump you got?
Tim
the same. please fill me in on the details.

turningtim

The first 2 Needle wheels just pry off. I used a razor knife and carefully nudged them off. The last NW is a part of the impeller so I cut all but 4 spokes of it and left a + shape left.
I cut 4 squares of GG about 2"x2". Then I smashed them flat a bit with a hammer and anvil. I arranged the squares to form the best "web" like pattern and cut the circle a bit larger then the NW's.
I used a small bushing to whack with a hammer to cut the center hole. I attached the GG with mini zip ties to the + NW. Trying to get them as close to the center as possible. I tired to keep all the zip ties arranged so the buckles all faced the same way so I hoped it didn't throw the impeller off balance to much.
Then just trimmed the GG to the same size as the +NW in a circle and away ya go!
I think that covers it.
Ask away!
Tim

acrylic51

There's actually a better material out there for that than gutter guard.....I want to say it's ecomat or something of that nature....I know AquaticEco carries the stuff.

acrylic51

Sorry.....Enkanta mesh PF4......***************......talk to Jeremy.....he'll know exactly what it is...he just ordered it.

turningtim

Yep thats the stuff. When I did mine I couldn't find small pieces and didn't want/need a whole bunch. So I went with the GG.......

hurt

It is actually called Enkamat. I modded my pump, but I left the needlewheels on, then put a layer of enkamat on top of the two wheels. I would say it has at least doubled the air flow into my skimmer.

sharkbait9

what is on your wheel, looks white going it around it. Want to sell a square section of that stuff for us to mod out wheels?

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by acrylic51
The white would be zip ties to secure it to the wheel
and the zips don't interfere or throw it off balance

isistius

it's my understanding that the mesh is prone to getting clogged, and needs to be cleaned often. is that true or false?

turningtim

Never really noticed any over build up on mine. My cleaning is usually the air feed on the venturi. It gets salt creep and narrows the air line....

hurt

The zip ties don't interfere, as long as you balance the ties out. I used 8 zip ties on my and made sure each was directly across from the opposite tie.
I'd be willing to sell some of my enkamat to anyone interested. Just PM me. You can find it online at Ebhay though.
I clean my magnet at least once every two months, and I've never noticed the enkamat being clogged.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Isistius
so does $7.50 sound good for a sheet 8"x8"x1/4" ? free shipping!!!
i saw that same seller too