Movie theater shooting

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/20#post_3483638
Did them a whole dam# bit of good didn't it! Prohibit those who know how to use guns properly and are willing to have them for pertection!
THAT BAN REALLY DID A GREAT JOB AT STOPPING THE CRIMINAL, WHO FOLLOWS THE SIGN ON THE DOOR, RIGHT?
YOU RESTRICT THE ONES WHO FOLLOW THE LAWS, NOT THE ONES WHO DON'T, THEY ARE GOING TO DO AS THEY PLEASE!
GREAT POLICY THEATER....
+1, I can't agree more here... and with your other comment, if he knew that everyone in the theater had a gun... even of the smallest caliber.... he wouldn't have started.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/20#post_3483651
I own 4 handguns, an M4, a shotgun, a mossin nagant, and 2 .22 calibers (one semi auto) rifles . Unless I had one of my rifles with me, I would have been hard pressed to get my family out safely, through tear gas smoke, and semi automatic fire of 100 rounds and get an accurate shot off with my handguns. Especially at any distance greater than 25 yards....depending on where you are sitting...some of these theatres are 50 yards. That is all I am saying, much less hit him where there is no body armor.
CATCH ON THE THE MAIN POINT...... IF HE KNEW THEY HAD GUNS HE WOULD NOT OF DONE IT...... HE GAVE UP TO GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! The use isn't the deterrent, its the knowledge of they can be used.
Case in point:
Police draw their weapons A LOT more then they will ever use them..... WHY?????? ITS A DETERRENT!
And you own 9 guns purely for fun? You are going to tell that lie right?
I am a concealed weapons holder and I only have 4 guns, one being a 20 Gage, 9 mm, 45 and a PINK .22........ It's the wife's, who is a concealed weapons holder too.
Lets say it this way on the deterrent issue..... If my wife is holding a pink gun at you, are you going to laugh cause she has a pink gun and blow her off? No, you are going to take the gun serious. It, in it's own right is a deterrent.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender77 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/20#post_3483615
I have to agree with this too.
There is also another big part of this story that is bothering me. Why where there so many young children at a midnight showing of a violent movie? I've read stories about 4 yr olds, 6 yr old infants ect being involved. I worry that this may be one of the reasons (coupled with some other things) that violence is getting so much worse in our younger generations. A 4 yr old and 6 yr old can't process movie violence, in fact a movie like this could cause nightmares and other distress in children so young that could lead to more situations like this when they are older. This whole situation is sad, a borderline genius snapping and killing innocent people, the boys family that knew something was wrong and didn't try to intervene before he escalated to this level. Young children being exposed to unnecessary violence because their parents don't think a 4 yr old at a midnight movie is a bad idea and of course all the sadness and trauma that has come to the victims and their families.
The only thing I know for sure is the media needs to stop sensationalizing these things, bring support to the families and let them heal.
Lets just start the "My little pony" push......
My daughter watches My little pony, she doesn't think that horses can talk, fly or are magical and she is 4.
My 4 year old daughter listens to Justin beiber's boyfriend, but doesn't believe that he really will be her boyfriend one day.......
With this statement, what ever my kids watch on TV, or a theater in that fact is what they are going to grow up as? Well dam, I am going to have to figure out how to visit my kids as "Who lives in a pineapple, under the sea?" Ovbsily my kids will.........
Just cause they watch Batman, they are going to do this?
TV isn't the cause, music isn't the cause.
Poor parenting CAN be a cause. But the most probable thing of it all is that the PERSON IS JUST PLANE CRAZY! Quit trying to find an explanation to everything........ WHY CAN'T HE JUST BE CRAZY? If his parents aren't surprised.........ummm..... problem here.......CRAZY.....

reefraff

My kid is here visiting before he ships to Korea for a year. I toyed with the idea of sending him and his wife to the midnight showing. Had I followed through that is the theater they probably been at. The one closer to my house was sold out. I spaced it off. YING!!!

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/20#post_3483670
My kid is here visiting before he ships to Korea for a year. I toyed with the idea of sending him and his wife to the midnight showing. Had I followed through that is the theater they probably been at. The one closer to my house was sold out. I spaced it off. YING!!!
WOW- that's really crazy and scary how close those odds were!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/20#post_3483664
Lets just start the "My little pony" push......
My daughter watches My little pony, she doesn't think that horses can talk, fly or are magical and she is 4.
My 4 year old daughter listens to Justin beiber's boyfriend, but doesn't believe that he really will be her boyfriend one day.......
With this statement, what ever my kids watch on TV, or a theater in that fact is what they are going to grow up as? Well dam, I am going to have to figure out how to visit my kids as "Who lives in a pineapple, under the sea?" Ovbsily my kids will.........
Just cause they watch Batman, they are going to do this?
TV isn't the cause, music isn't the cause.
Poor parenting CAN be a cause. But the most probable thing of it all is that the PERSON IS JUST PLANE CRAZY! Quit trying to find an explanation to everything........ WHY CAN'T HE JUST BE CRAZY? If his parents aren't surprised.........ummm..... problem here.......CRAZY.....
LOL...my kids were exposed to all the wolfman movies....
However, I must agree with Bender77 on one point, who takes their little ones to horror movies at midnight? Young children get cranky and tired and won't let you watch a movie they like, let alone one they don't even understand or care about. Kids belong at home asleep at midnight, and mom and dad can go out and relax leaving baby at home with grandparents or a sitter. Me and my late husband had three kids, and loved to go to the movies....if we couldn't find a sitter we stayed home.
Later we tried an outdoor theater so the kids would sleep...they just wouldn't rest in the car, and we couldn't watch the movie for them. I was so happy when they came out with video movies! Now with VHS, DVDs, Blueray and netflix...there is no reason to take a child to a movie at midnight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/20#post_3483670
I'm so glad we are not spending this time trying to comfort you, how frightening and how narrowly you escaped such grief. I will be saying an extra prayer of thanks on your behalf tonight.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483679
LOL...my kids were exposed to all the wolfman movies....
However, I must agree with Bender77 on one point, who takes their little ones to horror movies at midnight? Young children get cranky and tired and won't let you watch a movie they like, let alone one they don't even understand or care about. Kids belong at home asleep at midnight, and mom and dad can go out and relax leaving baby at home with grandparents or a sitter. Me and my late husband had three kids, and loved to go to the movies....if we couldn't find a sitter we stayed home.
Later we tried an outdoor theater so the kids would sleep...they just wouldn't rest in the car, and we couldn't watch the movie for them. I was so happy when they came out with video movies! Now with VHS, DVDs, Blueray and netflix...there is no reason to take a child to a movie at midnight.
I'm so glad we are not spending this time trying to comfort you, how frightening and how narrowly you escaped such grief. I will be saying an extra prayer of thanks on your behalf tonight.
Ok, I have a 4 and a 5 year old, so I know this mentality well (I even get accused of being our 2nd 5 year old in the house). But a "treat" to take them to the movies once, to see a highly anticipated movie isn't bad. It's the summer! So next I will be told that it is bad for them to stay up till midnight on new years eve........ I could agree if it was every night, yeah, but to those children I bet it was a treat and that idiot ruined their lives for their "treat". It was suppose to be something fun for them.
BENDER77: Play arm chair quarterback and throw these parents under the bus now that something "bad" happened. I didn't see you sitting out side the theater with signs chanting to them as they went in. If it was so bad, why wait till there is something even worse that happened to address something so meaningless compared to the real tragic event? Ohh tragedy, a 6 year old was at the theater at midnight seeing a HORROR film. Yeah that's the real tragedy here...........
Somebody call someone, as I am going to take my 4 and 5 year olds to see AMAZING SPIDER MAN, same PG-13 rating as BATMAN, for my sons birthday...... So I guess the only difference will be it will not be a opening night screening at midnight....

bender77

BENDER77: Play arm chair quarterback and throw these parents under the bus now that something "bad" happened. I didn't see you sitting out side the theater with signs chanting to them as they went in. If it was so bad, why wait till there is something even worse that happened to address something so meaningless compared to the real tragic event? Ohh tragedy, a 6 year old was at the theater at midnight seeing a HORROR film. Yeah that's the real tragedy here...........
Somebody call someone, as I am going to take my 4 and 5 year olds to see AMAZING SPIDER MAN, same PG-13 rating as BATMAN, for my sons birthday...... So I guess the only difference will be it will not be a opening night screening at midnight....
Actually I have said things many times to people and movie attendants when I go to a movie at midnight and pay good money to have someones crying 4 yr old disturb the audience because they are bored and tired and have no business being at a midnight showing. I go to late movies specifically so I don't have to deal with screaming children and parents that let them scream or run around the theater, and if it happens I will say something. If I was at a noon showing of Shrek then i would expect kids to be there. Fact is young kids get scared by these adult movies. My friend's 5 yr old thinks all strangers are serial killers because she didn't think it would be a big deal let her little girl stay up while she watched When a Stranger Calls. Call me a B, I don't care, but there are movie ratings for a reason, younger kids do not process things the same way adults do. A neighbor allowed me to watch Jaws when I was 6 or 7 and for years I would not go into murky water because I was afraid I would be attacked by a shark, and I still have a problem with getting in the ocean or a murky river if I allow myself to think to much about it. I watched by brother struggle with nightmares from watching the Incredible Hulk on TV because he wanted to watch what I was watching.
Unfortunately all these poor people will now have to struggle with the reality of the horrible thing that happen to and around them, but my position still stands on young kids at a late night violent movie.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483682
Ok, I have a 4 and a 5 year old, so I know this mentality well (I even get accused of being our 2nd 5 year old in the house). But a "treat" to take them to the movies once, to see a highly anticipated movie isn't bad. It's the summer! So next I will be told that it is bad for them to stay up till midnight on new years eve........ I could agree if it was every night, yeah, but to those children I bet it was a treat and that idiot ruined their lives for their "treat". It was suppose to be something fun for them.
The man who opened fire killing people was a loon case closed... My goodness...The parents did nothing at all wrong to warrent what happened. Parents take thier kids to all kinds of inappropriate places, other than the "stink eye" look they get from folks, they deserve nothing more as a punishment.
Now...LOL...a lecture from me, since we are allowed to voice an opinion, I give you mine.....It isn't a treat to take a little kid to the movies at midnight, they get cranky and fall asleep or worse hyper and loud or cry, and thus aggrivate the other movie goers. My purpose for posting about this particular subject has nothing to do with the original post
. When my late huband and I went to the movies there would always be someone stupid enough to bring a child or baby in...the baby would cry and the child would get bored and bother the parents and other movie goers. I love children, but I like a quiet movie theater. We waited until the last showing in hopes of a quiet theater free of children...it was grown up time to relax. We didn't go out drinking, we werent much for dancing...we enjoyed movies. We took the children to plenty of shows at a decent hour when they were able to get popcorn, candy and soda and be as loud as all the other children in the place.
I stand by my opinion...the midnight show is for grown-ups.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/20#post_3483644
He was? Really? Is that why he just gave up?
How many AR's are in the hands of responsible owners? Just cause he chose one of those, ban it? There are several computers in the hands of idiots.... lets ban a computer... before you say they don't cause deaths, well ever heard of internet bullying or such things? People get killed because of the internet, lets ban it too.
Seriously, IT IS NOT THE GUNS THAT KILL PEOPLE, every one together now...... PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!
How do you know this kid wasn't a "responsible owner" before something snapped? Latest report I saw was he purchased these weapons over 6 months. Again, give me some viable rationale why the average gun owner shouldd have access to a weapon that has the capability of firing more than 30 rounds? For what purpose? Please don't give me the "It's their 2nd Amendment right", or "they want one for sport shooting." How many computers have you seen taken into a public place with the ability to kill 12 people, and injure 59 more? How many people could you kill with two knives in your hand before you were apprehended? Yea, you could drive a car into a large crowd and injure several individuals. But a car is large enough to where if you saw it coming, you could get out of the way, or get into an area where it couldn't go. You're not going to dodge a bullet coming out of an AR-15, and hiding behind certain structures isn't a given the bullet can be stopped. I can unload a 30-round clip out of an AR in less than a minute. Try avoiding those coming at you. Yes, people kill people. The ones that have guns in their hands.
And before you respond with another 2 in. font, the kid would've cared less if he knew someone had a gun in that theatre. THAT'S WHY HE HAD THE BULLET PROOF GEAR ON! HE WAS PREPARED FOR THAT SITUATION! If you would've been there with your weapon, drew it, and managed to hit him while tear gas was in your eyes, and people were screaming and pushing each other around to get out, all that would've happen would he would have turned around, aim his AR-15 with the 100 round drum in your general directon, and sprayed 30 - 50 rounds. You just got yourself and anyone in a 10 ft perimeter of you killed.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483690
How do you know this kid wasn't a "responsible owner" before something snapped? Latest report I saw was he purchased these weapons over 6 months. Again, give me some viable rationale why the average gun owner shouldd have access to a weapon that has the capability of firing more than 30 rounds? For what purpose? Please don't give me the "It's their 2nd Amendment right", or "they want one for sport shooting." How many computers have you seen taken into a public place with the ability to kill 12 people, and injure 59 more? How many people could you kill with two knives in your hand before you were apprehended? Yea, you could drive a car into a large crowd and injure several individuals. But a car is large enough to where if you saw it coming, you could get out of the way, or get into an area where it couldn't go. You're not going to dodge a bullet coming out of an AR-15, and hiding behind certain structures isn't a given the bullet can be stopped. I can unload a 30-round clip out of an AR in less than a minute. Try avoiding those coming at you. Yes, people kill people. The ones that have guns in their hands.
And before you respond with another 2 in. font, the kid would've cared less if he knew someone had a gun in that theatre. THAT'S WHY HE HAD THE BULLET PROOF GEAR ON! HE WAS PREPARED FOR THAT SITUATION! If you would've been there with your weapon, drew it, and managed to hit him while tear gas was in your eyes, and people were screaming and pushing each other around to get out, all that would've happen would he would have turned around, aim his AR-15 with the 100 round drum in your general directon, and sprayed 30 - 50 rounds. You just got yourself and anyone in a 10 ft perimeter of you killed.
HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS KID WASN'T A "RESPONSIBLE OWNER" BEFORE SOMETHING SNAPPED? UMMM CAUSE HE KILLED PEOPLE..... JUST A GUESS....
I THINK THE WHOLE RESPONSIBLE OWNER CATEGORY KINDA GOES HAND IN HAND WITH, NOT KILLING PEOPLE...... YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SNAP..... Another thing, its not really a sane persons thing to buy ballistics helmet/chest/leg/neck/groin protection, ohh not to mention booby trap your apartment with explosives (HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE COULD HE HAVE KILLED IF HE WOULD OF JUST USED A BOMB AND BLEW UP THE THEATER? HE ALLEGEDLY HAD ACCESS TO ONE..... ).....
Why have access to a gun that can carry that many rounds? Well it boils down to "because you can," what do you want as an answer? Criminals can modify their guns so they do other things then intended, so if you don't sell it, they will make it. The day you can say a sane person commits one of these heinous acts.... then ok blame a gun...... I have yet to see a sane person commit any such acts!

[hr]
Hey, ban air planes (They are big enough to see coming right?)..... I believe that 4 of those killed more people in seconds....... NOT minutes........then his one 12 people stint (No heartlessness intended here, as it is VERY TRAGIC).......... I didn't see people who pride them selves in terrorism using GUNS......... NOPE..... They use BOMBS and Airplanes.
You guys REALLY ARE MISSING THE POINT of concealed weapons, IF EVERYONE HAD ONE IN THAT THEATER (With reason, don't be stupid with that comment) they would of in ESSENCE BEEN THE POLICE, WHOM ....... ANSWER THIS PLEASE...... DID HE FIRE A SHOT AT THE POLICE? THEY HAD GUNS....... AND HE HAD ALL THE SAME STUFF AS WHEN HE WENT INTO THE THEATER........... AND YOUR ANSWER IS???????????????
I bet that computers play a big part in a lot of bomb detentions around the world....... I bet they put terrorist organizations on the same page......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1566715.stm
http://angloaustria.blogspot.com/2010/06/why-switzerland-has-lowest-gun-crime.html
I will take a theater full of CWP holders any day, I bet this idiot wouldn't have come close to it.........
Fact is you CAN NOT BLAME what they use, if they don't have a gun, they will use something else........

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483689
The man who opened fire killing people was a loon case closed... My goodness...The parents did nothing at all wrong to warrent what happened. Parents take thier kids to all kinds of inappropriate places, other than the "stink eye" look they get from folks, they deserve nothing more as a punishment.
Now...LOL...a lecture from me, since we are allowed to voice an opinion, I give you mine.....It isn't a treat to take a little kid to the movies at midnight, they get cranky and fall asleep or worse hyper and loud or cry, and thus aggrivate the other movie goers. My purpose for posting about this particular subject has nothing to do with the original post
. When my late huband and I went to the movies there would always be someone stupid enough to bring a child or baby in...the baby would cry and the child would get bored and bother the parents and other movie goers. I love children, but I like a quiet movie theater. We waited until the last showing in hopes of a quiet theater free of children...it was grwon up time to relax. We didn't go out drinking, we werent much for dancing...we enjoyed movies. We took the children to plenty of shows at a decent hour when they were able to get popcorn, candy and soda and be as loud as all the other children in the place.
I stand by my opinion...the midnight show is for grown-ups.
My kids would and can do it..... sorry not every ones kids are as perfect as mine...... (Understand the sarcasm, and its my bias opinion as their father...
) but that's where it boils down to an informed decision of the parent, they should know their kid..... I have never gone to a midnight screening..... But I would venture to say that my 4 and 5 year olds would be way more mature then those people I have seen standing in line for "star wars"......
For my defense.... I have never taken my kids to a late night screening. I don't like big, annoying crowds.

darthtang aw

CATCH ON THE THE MAIN POINT...... IF HE KNEW THEY HAD GUNS HE WOULD NOT OF DONE IT...... HE GAVE UP TO GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! The use isn't the deterrent, its the knowledge of they can be used. 
Case in point: 
Police draw their weapons A LOT more then they will ever use them..... WHY?????? ITS A DETERRENT! 
And you own 9 guns purely for fun? You are going to tell that lie right?
I am a concealed weapons holder and I only have 4 guns, one being a 20 Gage, 9 mm, 45 and a PINK .22........ It's the wife's, who is a concealed weapons holder too. 
Lets say it this way on the deterrent issue..... If my wife is holding a pink gun at you, are you going to laugh cause she has a pink gun and blow her off? No, you are going to take the gun serious. It, in it's own right is a deterrent. 
stop being ridiculous for one moment and pay attention to my point. I dont own guns for fun. both of my businesses contain a gun and my wife and I OPEN carry in our busineses and in our vehicle. I am not arguing whether the right to conceal carry is wrong or not. I am arguing that this nutbag was prepared for someone to have a gun in direct confrontation with him. by his own preparation...this is the one instance i feel a conceal carry gun would not have been benificial or advantageous. columbine shooting...definitely...this instance where the criminal has accounted for the most likely obstacle to prevent his end goal....i disagree. this in no way means i am againsat conceal carry.
so tone down the stupid giant letters and maintain a civil discussion.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483702
stop being ridiculous for one moment and pay attention to my point. I dont own guns for fun. both of my businesses contain a gun and my wife and I OPEN carry in our busineses and in our vehicle. I am not arguing whether the right to conceal carry is wrong or not. I am arguing that this nutbag was prepared for someone to have a gun in direct confrontation with him. by his own preparation...this is the one instance i feel a conceal carry gun would not have been benificial or advantageous. columbine shooting...definitely...this instance where the criminal has accounted for the most likely obstacle to prevent his end goal....i disagree. this in no way means i am againsat conceal carry.
so tone down the stupid giant letters and maintain a civil discussion.
Then answer the one question I keep asking in big letters! ANSWER THE QUESTION...... Why did he give up to those with guns? Seemed like he was really prepared to me..... To give up, to a gun!
And who says that you can tell me what to do, I get sick of everyone bowing down to you... they gave us the ability to use this ridiculous big letters, so I do.
The direct point isn't that one cwp person would of made a difference, no, but if it were more of a common practice then this one would not of happened. If that was the special police screening, like we had here, would he have done it knowing that they would have guns?
I said nothing ridiculous, grow up and don't criticize those who oppose you, they are just letters on a screen that you choose to read.... No one forces you, who cares the size. The point of the statement is there.... He gave up to a group of people who had guns, it doesn't matter that it was the police, they are CWP who are paid to do a job (and I thank you guys!)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Jerth6932, stop with the huge fonts in the forum. It is disruptive to have to scroll through that and ineffective since no one is going to bother straining their eyes to read that.
I'm sure you can participate without the unnecessary and annoying emphasis.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483690
One reason for allowing people to own guns capable of firing more than 30 rounds it to prevent the military from taking over the country. At least that is the reason those who wrote and signed the bill of rights gave for arming citizens and not creating a standing army.

travelerjp98

Quote:
He could spent a couple hours placing bombs around the whole place and blew that whole place up and EVERYONE WOULDA BEEN DEAD IN THAT WHOLE THEATER
, not just 12. Don't get me wrong, it was a tragic situation for sure and my prayers and hopes go out to everyone who was affected. But thank god he didn't use other weaponry, that woulda killed many, many more.

sweat90lx

Guns ownership has nothing to do with this single horrible incident, I also dont believe it would have helped the situation any. A responsible CCW carrier would not open fire in a crowded room.
Owning many weapons where I live is normal, for fun and protection. Almost everyone I know owns at least on firearm and most own a lot. When my stepfather passed last year we did an inventory and he had 53 firearms in the house. He was an avid hunter and gun collector. While he had more than normal, my stepbrother got almost all of them to add to his large collection.
That said, not all firearms are for protection. But I also have a good friend that always carries a glock 40 and new toy, a springfield 1911, one is on him and the other in his truck.
What is completely unacceptable is a parent that knew their child had a problem and did not take action. There are way too many parents that want schools to raise their children and teach them morals. When they are home put them in front of the TV or give them a video game to play instead of being a family