Movie theater shooting

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483715
jerth, you clearly dont understand my point or my position.
No, I do. You believe that one lone CWP wouldn't of done any good in this situation. You are right, in this situation as you have already stated. Where I approach this, is more of a Switzerland approach, if it were the social norm to for people to have CWP's people would be less likely to do such things.

darthtang aw

to create that you hav e to change over all society mindset. here..we open carry and conceal carry...but i would but only 5% of the population utililize this right.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender77 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483686
Actually I have said things many times to people and movie attendants when I go to a movie at midnight and pay good money to have someones crying 4 yr old disturb the audience because they are bored and tired and have no business being at a midnight showing. I go to late movies specifically so I don't have to deal with screaming children and parents that let them scream or run around the theater, and if it happens I will say something. If I was at a noon showing of Shrek then i would expect kids to be there. Fact is young kids get scared by these adult movies. My friend's 5 yr old thinks all strangers are serial killers because she didn't think it would be a big deal let her little girl stay up while she watched When a Stranger Calls. Call me a B, I don't care, but there are movie ratings for a reason, younger kids do not process things the same way adults do. A neighbor allowed me to watch Jaws when I was 6 or 7 and for years I would not go into murky water because I was afraid I would be attacked by a shark, and I still have a problem with getting in the ocean or a murky river if I allow myself to think to much about it. I watched by brother struggle with nightmares from watching the Incredible Hulk on TV because he wanted to watch what I was watching.
Unfortunately all these poor people will now have to struggle with the reality of the horrible thing that happen to and around them, but my position still stands on young kids at a late night violent movie.
Prude, maybe... never a B.

If they are casuing problems, ok, they don't belong, but if they are sitting there watching like the rest of the theater? People as a parent have to be just that, a parent. If they aren't going to supervise and modify, then there is an issue. But if I believe that my children can watch a PG 13 movie, I don't need a person telling me other wise. PG= Parental Guidence........ Parents should know their kids, and guide....... My translation of that....
Those innocent children whom were subjected to his stupidity, did nothing wrong, their parents did nothing wrong, the killer did!

travelerjp98

Prude, maybe... never a B. :na-na:
If they are casuing problems, ok, they don't belong, but if they are sitting there watching like the rest of the theater? People as a parent have to be just that, a parent. If they aren't going to supervise and modify, then there is an issue. But if I believe that my children can watch a PG 13 movie, I don't need a person telling me other wise. PG= Parental Guidence........ Parents should know their kids, and guide....... My translation of that.... 
Those innocent children whom were subjected to his stupidity, did nothing wrong, their parents did nothing wrong, the killer did!
+10

sweat90lx

We can all agree then. My 6 year old does not do good at movies but when she acts up we go home so we dont disturb others.
I know my child and the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. lol.
One person caused this, the rest are just innocent victims.

bender77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483728
Prude, maybe... never a B.

I think I take more offense to being called a prude than a B

I feel so sorry for every family involved and hope that are all able to find the peace they need. There is also a small part of me (albeit very small) that feels sorry for the guy who did this. I don't think I could ever under stand what type of mental state someone has to be in to go out and do this. I really suspect he is going to be paranoid schizophrenic or something that wasn't treated. If he is just some creeper like Manson or Dahmer, put him in a chair and let him fry.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender77 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/60#post_3483749
There is also a small part of me (albeit very small) that feels sorry for the guy who did this. I don't think I could ever under stand what type of mental state someone has to be in to go out and do this. I really suspect he is going to be paranoid schizophrenic or something that wasn't treated. If he is just some creeper like Manson or Dahmer, put him in a chair and let him fry.
You know what really gets my blood boiling....99% of the time these fruitcakes were released back into society to do damage. I read so many times that these are not their first offences. So often that these people were under a doctors care for years and the family was warned or the police had them in custody and the Judge let them off.
If some nut is released from prison by some softhearted judge, and they goes out and kills people...I think the judge should lose his position, because he is not good at his job.
A pychiatrist that fails to inform someone that the crazy is likely to harm people should be held accountable. I think the doctor patient privacy rule should go out the window if others are in danger.
I don't care if the person is schizophrenic or just loony like Dahmer...if they are a threat to society they do not belong replaced on the streets to harm others. There are plenty of schizophrenics that don't go out and commit mass murder.
Those who have killed or maimed other people should be locked up permanently without parole. I don't care if they were sane or not, they are dangerous people who can't and shouldn't be allowed to live with others in society. The only question should be prison or a padded room.

bender77

I totally agree Flower! Don't get me wrong. I think this guy needs to go away for good and never be free again. I just wonder what was going on in his head to make him think he was The Joker and went on a killing spree.
I watched Batman: The Dark Night again last night. The Joker was such a dark role and it's sad it was so dark that Heath Ledger couldn't sleep and took and overdose of sleeping pills because of it. How does a person get from being a brilliant scientist to thinking they are the Joker?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483712
One reason for allowing people to own guns capable of firing more than 30 rounds it to prevent the military from taking over the country. At least that is the reason those who wrote and signed the bill of rights gave for arming citizens and not creating a standing army.
Please. When the Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment, they never imagined in their wildest dreams that firearms with today's technology and capability would've ever benn built. Their weapons consisted of a blackpowder muzzleloader that took a couple of minutes to load before it could be shot. In their minds, the main purpose of that weapon was to kill live game to feed their families. Of course they may provisions stating that citizens should own weapons for "a well armed militia". They just finished fighting a war against a country wanting to suppress their rights and freedoms. One can only imagine whether these same rights would come to fruition had they'd known what we know now.
And again, you having the capability of owning some weapon is pointless if it came down to another Civil War in this country. The opposition would have the same guns, if not more, and they'd be spraying the same 30-rounds of ammunition that you have. In the end, you'd be dead all the same. But at least you can say you got a few of "them" before you went. The difference beteen me and you is that I'm a pacifist. I live with the notion that rationale humans for the most part aren't stupid enough to go to the extremes of creating a situation where you would need a weapon of that type to protect yourself. If this nation were to denegrate to the point that you needed some arsenal just to walk out your door, go to a movie, go shopping at the mall, or just enjoying life in general, then it's time to find another place to live.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender77 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/60#post_3483755
I totally agree Flower! Don't get me wrong. I think this guy needs to go away for good and never be free again. I just wonder what was going on in his head to make him think he was The Joker and went on a killing spree.
I watched Batman: The Dark Night again last night. The Joker was such a dark role and it's sad it was so dark that Heath Ledger couldn't sleep and took and overdose of sleeping pills because of it. How does a person get from being a brilliant scientist to thinking they are the Joker?
In spit of the hype..Heath Ledger had bigger deeper problems, and I don't think for a moment it had anything to do with the Batman or the Brokeback mountian roles.
Mr. killer can claim anything he wants, because he is crazy and it had nothing to do with Batman or the Joker movie. LOL...what if he thought he was the little pony and was tired of everyone making fun of him. Unstable is unstable, who cares if he thinks the shadows talk to him, or that he is the Joker.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/60#post_3483753
You know what really gets my blood boiling....99% of the time these fruitcakes were released back into society to do damage. I read so many times that these are not their first offences. So often that these people were under a doctors care for years and the family was warned or the police had them in custody and the Judge let them off.
If some nut is released from prison by some softhearted judge, and they goes out and kills people...I think the judge should lose his position, because he is not good at his job.
A pychiatrist that fails to inform someone that the crazy is likely to harm people should be held accountable. I think the doctor patient privacy rule should go out the window if others are in danger.
I don't care if the person is schizophrenic or just loony like Dahmer...if they are a threat to society they do not belong replaced on the streets to harm others. There are plenty of schizophrenics that don't go out and commit mass murder.
Those who have killed or maimed other people should be locked up permanently without parole. I don't care if they were sane or not, they are dangerous people who can't and shouldn't be allowed to live with others in society. The only question should be prison or a padded room.
So is the correct justice for anyone who kills the death penalty? That's what would have to happen to insure some "nut case" was never let go from prison.
This kid fit no profile of a serial killer. The latest reports I read was the only time he was in trouble with the law was a speeding ticket in 2011. Apparently he had some sort of violent tendencies, since his own mother said she wasn't surprised at what he did. But once your child turns 18, there's nothing legally a parent can do. What could she report to authorities? That the kid had a violent temper? I've seen some pretty heated discussions on this forum. Should I report those to authorities? "Hey there's some guys on this foru I peruse that are adamant about owning all these weapons. Maybe you should look into that." Is that where our society is heading?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/40#post_3483698
HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS KID WASN'T A "RESPONSIBLE OWNER" BEFORE SOMETHING SNAPPED? UMMM CAUSE HE KILLED PEOPLE..... JUST A GUESS....
I THINK THE WHOLE RESPONSIBLE OWNER CATEGORY KINDA GOES HAND IN HAND WITH, NOT KILLING PEOPLE...... YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SNAP..... Another thing, its not really a sane persons thing to buy ballistics helmet/chest/leg/neck/groin protection, ohh not to mention booby trap your apartment with explosives (HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE COULD HE HAVE KILLED IF HE WOULD OF JUST USED A BOMB AND BLEW UP THE THEATER? HE ALLEGEDLY HAD ACCESS TO ONE..... ).....
Why have access to a gun that can carry that many rounds? Well it boils down to "because you can," what do you want as an answer? Criminals can modify their guns so they do other things then intended, so if you don't sell it, they will make it. The day you can say a sane person commits one of these heinous acts.... then ok blame a gun...... I have yet to see a sane person commit any such acts!

[hr]
Hey, ban air planes (They are big enough to see coming right?)..... I believe that 4 of those killed more people in seconds....... NOT minutes........then his one 12 people stint (No heartlessness intended here, as it is VERY TRAGIC).......... I didn't see people who pride them selves in terrorism using GUNS......... NOPE..... They use BOMBS and Airplanes.
You guys REALLY ARE MISSING THE POINT of concealed weapons, IF EVERYONE HAD ONE IN THAT THEATER (With reason, don't be stupid with that comment) they would of in ESSENCE BEEN THE POLICE, WHOM ....... ANSWER THIS PLEASE...... DID HE FIRE A SHOT AT THE POLICE? THEY HAD GUNS....... AND HE HAD ALL THE SAME STUFF AS WHEN HE WENT INTO THE THEATER........... AND YOUR ANSWER IS???????????????
I bet that computers play a big part in a lot of bomb detentions around the world....... I bet they put terrorist organizations on the same page......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1566715.stm
http://angloaustria.blogspot.com/2010/06/why-switzerland-has-lowest-gun-crime.html
I will take a theater full of CWP holders any day, I bet this idiot wouldn't have come close to it.........
Fact is you CAN NOT BLAME what they use, if they don't have a gun, they will use something else........
He didn't fire at the police because they didn't shoot at him. If a cop would've been inside that theatre at the time with weapon drawn, and he did shoot the guy, I guarantee you he would've been this kid's main focal point. Again, that's why he had that gear on. He was expecting a violent confrontation. Maybe that's why he simply walked out of the theater and into the parking lot. He wanted some type of twisted Batman gun fight where he was the villian, and Batman would appear to "take him down". When that didn't transpire, he got "bored" and just waited for the inevitable. No one knows what was going through his head at the time. They may never know. This guy could completely shut down and never provide clue as to why he did it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/60#post_3483756
Please. When the Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment, they never imagined in their wildest dreams that firearms with today's technology and capability would've ever benn built. Their weapons consisted of a blackpowder muzzleloader that took a couple of minutes to load before it could be shot. In their minds, the main purpose of that weapon was to kill live game to feed their families. Of course they may provisions stating that citizens should own weapons for "a well armed militia". They just finished fighting a war against a country wanting to suppress their rights and freedoms. One can only imagine whether these same rights would come to fruition had they'd known what we know now.
And again, you having the capability of owning some weapon is pointless if it came down to another Civil War in this country. The opposition would have the same guns, if not more, and they'd be spraying the same 30-rounds of ammunition that you have. In the end, you'd be dead all the same. But at least you can say you got a few of "them" before you went. The difference beteen me and you is that I'm a pacifist. I live with the notion that rationale humans for the most part aren't stupid enough to go to the extremes of creating a situation where you would need a weapon of that type to protect yourself. If this nation were to denegrate to the point that you needed some arsenal just to walk out your door, go to a movie, go shopping at the mall, or just enjoying life in general, then it's time to find another place to live.
The reason our Founding Fathers added the second amendment was to make certain that government could not 100% be in control should it become corrupted. People fled Europe and came to the New land to start over. The Catholic church was in charge of all religion, and the Queen/King had too much power and could do whatever she/he wanted unopposed. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. They wanted Americas leader to be voted in by majority, not because of bloodline, and they wanted people to be allowed to worship God in their own way, and they wanted folks to be able to defend those rights with weapons if need be.
They were raging against authority, they had won the war against their oppressing leaders. They wanted to live their lives in FREEDOM, and not be bullied by the Church or Queen on how to do it.
LOL...back then if you stole something they cut off your hands, if you killed someone (didn't matter if you were crazy or sane) you were hanged for the crime. Society will always have to deal with those who break the law, and hurt other people. Regardless of what method is used and our Founding Fathers were not addressing such things nor trying to.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
We really don't know what this mass murderer's state of mind is. With the bit of info we do have, it sounds like he may have mental disturbance issues for sure. And, I do feel for disturbed people who are so out of touch with reality that they hallucinate and are delusional. This guy was pretty methodological with planning the murders so don't know if he was delusional. In the end, it seems like he had second thoughts when it came to killing people with his booby trapped apt. If he had not said something to the police about that, then the building would have blown up when the police went in to search his apt.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/60#post_3483762
The reason our Founding Fathers added the second amendment was to make certain that government could not 100% be in control should it become corrupted.
That's exactly right! Bionic, do you think the 2nd Am. was added to the Constitution because guns were used to shoot game? Its there to make it clear that our government is not in charge, but that "We the People" are in charge. And if our government ever feels otherwise, then we the people have the constitutional right to take up arms against the government, just as we did in the 18th century.
Oh most men did carry weapons back then, and it wasn't so they could kill a rabbit for dinner.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/60#post_3483771
That's exactly right! Bionic, do you think the 2nd Am. was added to the Constitution because guns were used to shoot game? Its there to make it clear that our government is not in charge, but that "We the People" are in charge. And if our government ever feels otherwise, then we the people have the constitutional right to take up arms against the government, just as we did in the 18th century.
Oh most men did carry weapons back then, and it wasn't so they could kill a rabbit for dinner.
Taking up arms against our current government would be an effort in futility. The playing field isn't the same as it was 250 years ago. Want to go up against Washington with your AR-15's and AK-47's? They send a drone with a tactile missle and end your "constitutional right" then and there. It's called diplomacy. That's what this country was built on. Take the mentality that you need weapons to file grievances against your government, and you end up like Libya, Iraq, and Afghanistan.