Movie theater shooting

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/140#post_3484118
You didn't answer my question. Why is it that someone can purchase a .50 caliber sniper rifle from some person in some parking lot in the middle of the night, with no background checks, and admitting to the guy he'd FAIL a Federal background check if he had to take one? I guess with your skewed logic, he's a "responsible gun owner" that surely has no intent on using that weapon for anything but sport shooting. Just think of the distance he can get on his next deer hunting trip. The weapon is capable of shooting armored-piercing bullets. Maybe he just wants to do some target practicing on some beat up truck in a field. Riiight.
Dude...that is the whole point! The nuts, and people who do not follow the law can go out and get such a weapon in a parking lot in the middle of the night, for the very purpose of doing something evil to others. To ban guns would ONLY stop the law abiding citizens from purchasing weapons.
The bad guys that murder people will still get the guns.
Oh and to answer your question....They can do it because they wanted a weapon for whatever underhanded reason...and come hell or high water, they were going to get their hands on one. If the crazy can't purchase something, they will make one themselves. If someone want's something bad enough, they will find a way. No law will work to stop such people from getting their hands on a weapon if they want it....in any country.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If we eliminate rights as a preventative measure every single time something bad happens, then pretty soon, we will be looking more and more like a closed, government controlled society.
Look at all we have lost since 911, and I'm not talking about the lives and property lost due to the attack itself.

mantisman51

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-23/james-holmes-colorado-university-studies/56444742/1?csp=34news&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content
He bought the firearms right after being given a grant by CU. Seems that he probably couldn't have bought them without state funding.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/140#post_3484137
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-23/james-holmes-colorado-university-studies/56444742/1?csp=34news&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content
He bought the firearms right after being given a grant by CU. Seems that he probably couldn't have bought them without state funding.
That was part of the 174K yearly grant he was given. And people wonder how we get 16 trillion in debt.

darthtang aw

There's a time and place where you stand you ground.  Every situation I've cited - domestic violence, this incident where the 4 year old was shot, this carnage at the theatre,... every one of them would've occurred whether someone had a weapon on them or not.  Like I said, I have my own personal weapons I use to protect my home.  My turf, my rules.  I have control over whether an aggression can occur or not.  My doors have dead bolts.  I have a fully-monitored alarm system.  Due to some vandals that went around my neighborhood slashing tires, I now have  monitored cameras in my yard, driveway, and all entrances.  Someone breaks into my home while any family member is there, I have the means to protect myself at all costs, and wouldn't hesitate doing it.  But there's too many mitigating factors I don't have control over out in the rest of the world.  Walking around with a weapon strapped to your side gives you a false sense of security.  You may think you're prepared for any situation, but you're not.  For every time you do avert somneone from attacking you, there's 10 more situations waiting around the corner you don't expect.  I choose not to worry about it, and simply use common sense and logic to avoid the potential of an attack occuring.  Can I avert every single situation?  No more than you can stop every one with a weapon in your hand.
So if someone kicks in your door and starts spraying 100 rounds of 5.56 bullets around your house, how does any of what you have protect you?

I will make this question as simple as possible. Why does anyone, under any circumstance, need the right, to purchase an assault rifle? What purpose does that possibly serve that isn't grossly outweighed by the harm it can cause in such a short amount of time to the masses?
I'm by no means a person who wants to throw out the 2nd amendment, but you do have to put some limitations on what people can legally get their hands on.
And for all of you saying that the 2nd amendment was put in place to be able to protect ourselves from our government, and revolt against them if need be... Seriously?
Do you realize how grossly out of touch you are if you think having a few rifles and guns in your basement is going to be able to somehow compete with the raw power and technology of the United States military? Come on now. This isn't the 1700's with your muzzle loaders pointing at redcoats from the trees. The United States has gotten way past the point of the people being able to go after their own government by force. The only way you are going to change things in this country is diplomatically. If you'd rather live in a place where you need to take back the power by force at gunpoint, there are plenty of places in this world where that's an every day experience.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/140#post_3484118
You didn't answer my question. Why is it that someone can purchase a .50 caliber sniper rifle from some person in some parking lot in the middle of the night, with no background checks, and admitting to the guy he'd FAIL a Federal background check if he had to take one? I guess with your skewed logic, he's a "responsible gun owner" that surely has no intent on using that weapon for anything but sport shooting. Just think of the distance he can get on his next deer hunting trip. The weapon is capable of shooting armored-piercing bullets. Maybe he just wants to do some target practicing on some beat up truck in a field. Riiight.
I haven't had any problems missing any facts, the problem is, you facts have multiple holes in them. Trust me, I can detect when someone's "popping a cork" debating an issue. Put it this way, I don't think I'd want to be around you when you got real angry.
There you go again with a lash out.......
Bioniclown..... Your "question", is what we are saying, CRIMINALS CAN GET GUNS ILLEGALLY, which ...ummm.... that was......
Where have we condoned an illegal transaction? Our point is that making laws to stop guns doesn't affect the criminals who, as in your own question, get them anyways!
I really do hope you are high, because if you are really this dumb..... please do us all the favor and stay away from guns...... Oops I "popped".
AND YOU STILL DIDN'T ANSWER ANYONE ELSE'S QUESTIONS..............

mantisman51

We have strict controls on full-auto (which are the only real "assault weapons"), explosives, and no civilian can own a firearm over .50 caliber. I live in a place where drug smugglers come across my property regularly with full-auto AR15's and AK47's. So my question to you is if we don't need "assault weapons", why do police? We are exposed to the same crazies and criminals as police. Why should only police and military have the ability to defend themselves? As you said there are a lot of "assault weapons" out there. Why shouldn't I have the ability to defend myself and my family, especially from the foreign invasion happening from Mexico by the cartels? And how the heck is me or my "assault weapon" in any way responsible for what happened in Colorado? Jared Loughner was a flaming left-winger, should we ban democrats from owning firearms? Of course not. But that is the same silly logic as wanting to take my self-protection.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/140#post_3484159
I will make this question as simple as possible. Why does anyone, under any circumstance, need the right, to purchase an assault rifle? What purpose does that possibly serve that isn't grossly outweighed by the harm it can cause in such a short amount of time to the masses?
I'm by no means a person who wants to throw out the 2nd amendment, but you do have to put some limitations on what people can legally get their hands on.
And for all of you saying that the 2nd amendment was put in place to be able to protect ourselves from our government, and revolt against them if need be... Seriously?
Do you realize how grossly out of touch you are if you think having a few rifles and guns in your basement is going to be able to somehow compete with the raw power and technology of the United States military? Come on now. This isn't the 1700's with your muzzle loaders pointing at redcoats from the trees. The United States has gotten way past the point of the people being able to go after their own government by force. The only way you are going to change things in this country is diplomatically. If you'd rather live in a place where you need to take back the power by force at gunpoint, there are plenty of places in this world where that's an every day experience.
I don't have a specific answer for this question, but I wonder the "odds" of which assault weapons are used to commit crimes? Not really a lot. The most used "gun" used by criminals is a .22 as they are cheap and readily available! I don't have the money to drop on one of these weapons... They aren't cheap. So for the most part these weapons are being used as intended, when purchased, and not in crimes. As stated before, if everything that was used to commit a crime was taken away..... we wouldn't have any thing! literally!

mantisman51

Less than 1% of gun crimes are committed with semi-automatic rifles over .22 caliber. The most dangerous gun in America is the .25 caliber semi-auto pistol. But they're not big and scary looking and liberals only think with emotions, so they don't even look at facts and reason. Big scary gun = bad and dangerous.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/160#post_3484165
Less than 1% of gun crimes are committed with semi-automatic rifles over .22 caliber. The most dangerous gun in America is the .25 caliber semi-auto pistol. But they're not big and scary looking and liberals only think with emotions, so they don't even look at facts and reason. Big scary gun = bad and dangerous.
Thank you mantis.

ironeagle2006

You know what the .25 Auto in Chicago is called the Sewer gun. A gun that you can get CHEAP and if you use it Ilegally just throw it into the Nearest Sewer or into Lake Michigan or the Chicago River. Why by the time it is found the Sucker is so rusted they can not match it to you and the ammo is so powerful it Disinagrates when it hits its targets making Ballasitcs a BEETCH for the Police.

darthtang aw

I will make this question as simple as possible.  Why does anyone, under any circumstance, need the right, to purchase an assault rifle? What purpose does that possibly serve that isn't grossly outweighed by the harm it can cause in such a short amount of time to the masses? 
The same can be said for alcohol and marijuana. Yet you support their sale to anyone of age.

mantisman51

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2012/07/boehner-says-he-agrees-with-obama-no-new-gun-control/1?csp=34news&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo#.UA70DvVFnIU
Obama is thinking much more clearly on this than most liberals. Now if he would denounce the U.N. gun grab, I'd feel a lot better about him getting re-elected.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/140#post_3484159
I believe the constitution means exactly what it says. That is why they included the provision to amend it if changes were needed. Simply allowing the government to restrict any right because some politicians think it's the right thing to do in light of the times is a slippery slope. I believe the government has a compelling reason for outlawing full automatics because they are dangerous. Semi Autos like the so-called assault weapons you can buy off the street are not. They are Semi Automatic meaning one shot each time the trigger is pulled. No reason to ban them.
Why do people need the right

darthtang aw

People don't NEED to vote either. Otherwise the 50% that don't, would. If your whole argument is based off need......................

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/140#post_3484150
So if someone kicks in your door and starts spraying 100 rounds of 5.56 bullets around your house, how does any of what you have protect you?
If the guy couldn;t buy that gun from some guy off of Craigslist in a Wa;mart parking lot, or go online and buy 10,000 rounds to put in that weapon, then he wouldn't have the opportunity to spray my house with those 100 rounds.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/140#post_3484125
Why can someone buy illegal drugs, stolen merchandise, banned pets etc. in that same parking lot? It's one of the down sides of living in a free society. By the way, when was the last time a 50 cal. sniper rifle was used in a crime in this country?
Those items can't be used to kill multiple people in a matter of minutes. The analogy is pointless. So just because no one's used that wepaon for a crime means it will never happen? So the logic of the gun advocates is as long as no one has committed multiple crimes with assault weapons or cannons like this .50 caliber, you can justify the continuation of selling them. So when the next carnage occurs, we can just shrug our shoulders, wave our motto "guns don't kill people, people kill people.", and tell the victims families "sucks that your loved one dies. They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time." But hey, you can still buy your 10 AK-47's "just because" and stick them in a closet shooting them once ecery 6 months just in case you need to revolt against our government when they do something you don't agree with. Let me know if you have the same sentiments if the next assault happens to someone you love. Maybe you can bury them with one of your multiple AK-47's. When the Obama Administration comes and takes all your guns, you can dig it up and "pry it from their cold dead hands."

darthtang aw

If the guy couldn;t buy that gun from some guy off of Craigslist in a Wa;mart parking lot, or go online and buy 10,000 rounds to put in that weapon, then he wouldn't have the opportunity to spray my house with those 100 rounds.
I would be more worried about him owning a .308 caliber weapon over a .223 caliber weapon. If you break it down by numbers, his kill ration sucked with the amount of ammunition he had. Why? Because he used an assault caliber weapon. had he used a .45 caliber pistol, and a .308 rifle he would have killed far more people. During the "assault" weapon ban, assault weapons were used just as much in crimes as when the ban was not in effect. Look up the numbers. They neither dropped nor rose.
So I ask you, with all your security...why do you own a gun for self protection?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/392376/movie-theater-shooting/160#post_3484169
The same can be said for alcohol and marijuana. Yet you support their sale to anyone of age.
Yea, I'm sure those people killed and injured in that Colorado movie theater would still be dead and hurt today if he'd walked into the theater with a keg and a bong. Wait a minute, that's what we used to do at rock concerts in the 70's. DANG! I'M DEAD AND DIDN'T KNOW IT!