mushroom in a blender, I'm going to prove or disprove it

ec

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
the conclusion is YES you can propagate mushrooms by blending them. iot takes a long time for the results to be evident and the shrooms you end up with are small. here are some pictures from today.
You are brave and "CARZY!!!" But I like that

Thanks for the testing!

mike22cha

Finaly, pics. Congrats on your sucessful blending. Mine didn't turn out as good because I had to good of a blender, so anyone wanting to do this, get a blender or food processor that CHOPS instead of BLENDS.

R

reefernana

Wow, I was just telling my husband earlier about your experiments and was going to try to find this old thread on my favorites list and I sign onto it and see this. OooooeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooO! Well, at least we know it works somewhat. The reds and green speckled ones just might be a little behind. Congratulations!

reefkprz

yeah I was kind of hoping for the "thousand mushroom bloom" honestly the numbers arent bad considering the size of the original specimin. (about 1") end up with about 20 baby shrooms. some are still ridiculously small (1/16 inch) others are almost the size of a dime. I'm thinking the difference in size would be related to the size of the original chunk.

reefkprz

I think next I will try grid cutting a shroom into 9 segments, then pizza cutting a shroom into 9 segments and see wich cut pattern heals fastest.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Isistius
pizza style in to 8 pieces would be a whole lot easier than 9
jmo

your right but I want the same number of pieces to start with grid cutting I can do into 6 or 9 pieces, pizza cutting I can try and get 9 pieces by starting at the mouth and cutting out ward to get roughly equal size pieces

rolxism

I was told that a mushroom needs its mouth to "regrow", blending it is just chancing it that the mouth is going to survive.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by rolxism
I was told that a mushroom needs its mouth to "regrow", blending it is just chancing it that the mouth is going to survive.
I am sorry to tell you that you were misinformed. A mushroom does not need a mouth to regrow. healing time is faster with a piece of the mouth but they are not dependant on having one. I have fragged thousands of shrooms (give or take) and have done it many times by just cutting a sliver off the side. I'm probably amongst the top 50 most expirienced fraggers that frequent this site, and I swear to you, that a mushroom will regrow without its mouth. everytime I have ever cut the head off a mushroom and subdivided the head the foot regrows into a complete shroom.

deltablack22

I am sorry to tell you that you were misinformed. A mushroom does not need a mouth to regrow. healing time is faster with a piece of the mouth but they are not dependant on having one
I'll second that... Oh, and its about time we saw some pics outta this thread. Thanks for the update RZ!

reefkprz

I'm sorry everybody, but I sold that tank to a friend who is new to the hobby and wanted his first saltwater tank.
so I figured he should learn with a tough tank to keep (12g open top, if he doesnt get frustrated with a tank that small while learning he'll be in the hobby for life). he is a member on this forum (newtoit) I dont even know if he has actually ever posted on here as he is new to the hobby and is so busy researching everything he can, as well as doing his freshwater hobby,I dont think he has spare time to post (besides its easier for him to just hang out and talk about stuff with me while we are working) the tank looks good though. I stripped it down to bare bones and sold it to him ($50 for the tank, lights, HOB aqualear, fuge style, heater, the sand, and about 2lbs of rock and let him go from there. fully cycled. its been fun so far I will try to take my camera over to his house and get a picture of how he has it in the next couple of days. he vaccumed the sand the first time he did a water change. *S* I was like "OH, well youshouldnt do that" and explained why. LOL him and I have been friends since jesus was a cowboy. but like I said I wilkl try to post some pictures in the next couple of days of what he has done with the tank.

N

nereef

LOL him and I have been friends since jesus was a cowboy.
that might be the funniest thing i've ever read.

A

alexmir

Very cool experiment, im thinking about trying it in the near future!!!