My 12 gallon JBJ Nano Cube.

nikesb

i can barely make out the toxic lavas. one of the polyps looks like its inverting though. and mine did that before, i had no idea what it was doing

bmac_2727

I really like what you have done with you tank. I'm trying to do something similar but staying on the sps side of the house. Honestly not even sure of the differences between sps and lps. What would you recommend to a new reef guy. I have always done fish only but I got a jbj 12 to try it out

nikesb

Originally Posted by bmac_2727
http:///forum/post/3267159
I really like what you have done with you tank. I'm trying to do something similar but staying on the sps side of the house. Honestly not even sure of the differences between sps and lps. What would you recommend to a new reef guy. I have always done fish only but I got a jbj 12 to try it out
what kind of lighting are you running? if you want to stay on the sps side, youll need alot better than the stock jbj 12 lighting

speg

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3267156
i can barely make out the toxic lavas. one of the polyps looks like its inverting though. and mine did that before, i had no idea what it was doing
One was doing a half-way invert when I first got it and when I was having the high temp problem. Since I've corrected that they don't seem to have a problem.
My button polyps do it all the time right after I feed the tank.

speg

Originally Posted by bmac_2727
http:///forum/post/3267159
Thank you. The only sps I would dare is probably a couple montis with the stock lighting. I have hodags montipora and a monti cap and both seem to be doing well so far. If you are looking more into the acropora then you'll want halides to be sure.

bmac_2727

I really just want xenia, some more mushrooms, some ricordia and then i am open for other options. Kinda having an issue with an algea outbreak right now so I think it would be best to leave it alone for a little while. What would you reccommend?

speg

well xenia/mushrooms and ricordias are all soft coral and would thrive easily in the jbj nanos stock lighting.
I would recommend getting to the bottom of the algae issue first for sure. I had an algae problem in this tank and all that I did was reduce the lighting time for a while and it was fixed.

speg

Getting hot in FL... temp is peek at around 85.1F-85.2F This is pushing it for me... developed a new strategy to deal with this though...
The temp starts at about 83.1 before the lights come on.. about an hour-2 hours before the lights get turned off the temp jumps to 85.2... I've been adding a little top-off water from R/O I keep in the fridge and it's bumping it down nicely... gotta top off every day anyways so this is a good solution that doesn't cost me the price of a chiller :)

speg

What will that do? The temp in the house ranges from 69-72 degrees throughout the day. Nighttime temp/daytime temps are both exactly the same.
For some reason the tank is about 10 degrees hotter than the house even without the lights on... guess two powerheads really stack on some heat.

nikesb

hmm thats really strange. even with two powerheads it shouldnt be like that. i imagine its more of the closed hood deal

speg

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3269254
hmm thats really strange. even with two powerheads it shouldnt be like that. i imagine its more of the closed hood deal
I thought that too so I put a cloth under the hood to keep it a extra inch opened up... plus when I first got the nano cube I ripped that front flap off of it.
Then I thought that maybe the stuff in the back was limiting the flow and causing the temp to rise.. so I took out the filter floss I put back there and the protein skimmer... still the same temp.
Not sure what the deal is.. going to be a real pain when the 46 gallon (positioned right next to it) has to have the lights on.. still cycling that one at the moment.

speg

Going to my favorite LFS in Tampa today... dunno if I'll get anything.. had some nice orange rics last time I was there.. may pick one up.. really have no room in my nano for anything else :p

speg

got the biggest orange ricorida fl I've ever seen and a fox coral! really excited about the fox.

speg

couldn't resist...
an oldie..

classic..

my fox... very happy with this lil cutie.

my new huge orange Florida Ricordia.

and I'll end it with the clown.

speg

I honestly feel like the orange ric is the prettiest coral I have in the tank... things are amazing looking.