My 125 reef

gatorwpb

Nice new pieces!! Congrats

I also seem to be picking up the unhealthy corals at my lfs for cheap and nursing them back to health. Its very rewarding knowing that they may not have made it if it wasnt for me saving them.

anonome

I do not run a chiller....but my tank is open. My temp is kept at 81, but during the day can get up to 82 while the halides are on.

rcdude1990

hi jus stoppin buy to say
WOW HOW COLORFUL!
i jus want to ask u wat kind of filtration u have?
how many tangs do u have in the tank?
it looks great

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Anonome
I WENT SHOPPING TODAY!!! Enclosed are some pictures. I also enclosed a picture of the figi leather that has split. I got a really good deal on the red lobo brain...It has some bleaching on one half of it, but little tissue recession. I got it for $15, I figure for the price I would try to see if I can nurse it back to health. The ridge hammer is an awesome piece. Not sure if the torch should go in front of it, or stay where it is? Also got the cream lobo brain. Also, quite large.
I think I am officially running out of space......well, maybe not.

You really are running out of space and I wouldn't mind taking some off your hands. I have a 125 gallon tank that needs some big spots filled in.

Do you spot feed any of your corals, if so which ones and what do you feed. If the answer is no, do you just add Phytoplex to your tank a few times a week. What's the drill? (Sorry if you posted the answer already, I did a quick scan and just read about the fish.)

anonome

Originally Posted by azfishgal
You really are running out of space and I wouldn't mind taking some off your hands. I have a 125 gallon tank that needs some big spots filled in.

Do you spot feed any of your corals, if so which ones and what do you feed. If the answer is no, do you just add Phytoplex to your tank a few times a week. What's the drill? (Sorry if you posted the answer already, I did a quick scan and just read about the fish.)
azfishgal....I do not spot feed anything, except the bta that has been bleached from the intro of halides. This is just until it regains its color. I do feed the tank phytoplex, and DT's, once a week. Now that I have introduced the brains, I may have to feed them. I will see, my refugium is jambed packed with pods, and amphropods. This seems to be feeding the tank nicely. Plus my pairs of scarlets and fireshrimp are constantly having babies, unfortunate for the the shrimp, but this is nature. When the lights go out, the tank is full of small meaty foods for the coral.
If I run out of room I will think of you.

goodwin9

First time reading this thread. What a great looking tank. You've done an excellent job in making it a fantastic tank! Keep up the good work

azfishgal

azfishgal....I do not spot feed anything, except the bta that has been bleached from the intro of halides. This is just until it regains its color. I do feed the tank phytoplex, and DT's, once a week. Now that I have introduced the brains, I may have to feed them. I will see, my refugium is jambed packed with pods, and amphropods. This seems to be feeding the tank nicely. Plus my pairs of scarlets and fireshrimp are constantly having babies, unfortunate for the the shrimp, but this is nature. When the lights go out, the tank is full of small meaty foods for the coral.
If I run out of room I will think of you.

Well, I know open brains will eat pellets.
My new open brain was in my QT with the Hippo Tang and I was feeding her pellets. Well, one landed on the brains mouth and he sucked it in. It was really cool to watch.
Not really sure if you are even supposed to feed them pellets, but mine ate it.

anonome

Originally Posted by goodwin9
First time reading this thread. What a great looking tank. You've done an excellent job in making it a fantastic tank! Keep up the good work

Goodwin9.....thank you!!!
Your tanks are awesome!!!

anonome

Originally Posted by rcdude1990
hi jus stoppin buy to say
WOW HOW COLORFUL!
i jus want to ask u wat kind of filtration u have?
how many tangs do u have in the tank?
it looks great
I have hesitated to post what kind of filtration I have since I do not have the "conventional reef tank" . I know I will be opening all sorts of doors here, both good and bad. My tank is not a reef ready tank. When I first started out I had a 125 FOWLR tank. I then decided that I was ready for the challenge of going reef. (Didn't read the fine print that you need a closed loop system). I have a hang on the back large CPR AquaFuge refugium. An AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer. Multiple powerheads, and a 404 fluval to run chemi pure, activated carbon, or anything else that I want. I rely strickly on the live rock to filter the tank.
With this being said, I must stress that I am a complete slave to my tank. I do water changes weekly, as well as cleaning the fluval. If I had chosen to do the closed loop, my work would probably be cut in half.
I actually enjoy the challenge of this tank. I have been told many times that "this cannot be done with this size of tank", I on the other hand take this as a challenge, I have been pleased with the results, but this is not for everyone.

rcdude1990

wow thats a big risk u took, but hey look at the comments ppl righting about how beautiful the tank is
good job
i wanna start a 125 FOWLR and i currentyl have a 55 gallon that has a wet/dry that can b good for a 150 gallon tank, i jus wonder if it will b ok with jus one overflow, but hey u took a big risk and succeed nice job
and thanks for answerin the question

anonome

Originally Posted by rcdude1990
wow thats a big risk u took, but hey look at the comments ppl righting about how beautiful the tank is
good job
i wanna start a 125 FOWLR and i currentyl have a 55 gallon that has a wet/dry that can b good for a 150 gallon tank, i jus wonder if it will b ok with jus one overflow, but hey u took a big risk and succeed nice job
and thanks for answerin the question
Thanks for not flaming me. I have taken the impossible, and made it possible.
But, with everything I add I wonder when I will have to take the plunge for the closed loop. I am very proud of this tank, and want only the best for the fish, and coral. When things start to decline, I will be on top of it and make the neccessary changes.

anonome

Does anyone know the real name of the lobo's that I purchased? Maze? I am having a real hard time matching the corals with the "non scientific name".

anonome

FEEDING TIME......SUNDAY NIGHT PHOTO'S
I dosed the tank with my usual BlackPowder today, and low and behold the new brains went crazy. Enclosed are some photo's.
Even the somewhat bleached red lobo brought out her tenticals. I am really hoping for the best on this coral.

azfishgal

What's Black Powder? You said in the other post you also feed DT's, what's that?
(I know I'll feel stupid as soon as you tell me.
)

anonome

I also introduced my female bellus angel to the main display yesterday. She is really shy with the other fish, but seems to have set up camp per say on the one end of the tank that they rarely go into.
She was quarantined in my qt for 5 weeks and was very active, but I had to feed live brine today to get her out of the rocks. I don't like to feed this on a normal basis, but was scared that she was really stressing, hopefully I can get her to eat her normal food. No agression on the other fish, just pushiness, if this makes sense. My whitecheek tang, the smallest in the tank seems to be the bully....go figure.
Was really worried about my coral beauty, but she was an angel. Wish me luck.
The picture was taken during feeding time, so lots of bubbles.

anonome

Originally Posted by azfishgal
What's Black Powder? You said in the other post you also feed DT's, what's that?
(I know I'll feel stupid as soon as you tell me.
)
Black Powder is an additive that you add for the coral, and anenomes. It is an enzyme that the corals go nuts over. But should not be dosed too frequently....can mess up the tank. I only use blackpowder maybe once in a 2 week period. DT's are the other food, that is used on odd weeks....basicly oyster eggs....
I have never gotten the response of the coral with the DT's, but the blackpowder...awesome. I am now rethinking this feeding schedule.

azfishgal

Black Powder is an additive that you add for the coral, and anenomes. It is an enzyme that the corals go nuts over. But should not be dosed too frequently....can mess up the tank. I only use blackpowder maybe once in a 2 week period. DT's are the other food, that is used on odd weeks....basicly oyster eggs....
I have never gotten the response of the coral with the DT's, but the blackpowder...awesome. I am now rethinking this feeding schedule.
I'm assuming you can get it at most on-line and lfs, right? I'll look around for it.

cvetnich

Hey man I live in Stafford, Va. I just moved here last year and I transfered my tank here from NC. The stores there where great but I can't find any nice stores in this area! If you don't mind me asking do you shop any where local?