My 125 reef

anonome

Originally Posted by cvetnich
Hey man I live in Stafford, Va. I just moved here last year and I transfered my tank here from NC. The stores there where great but I can't find any nice stores in this area! If you don't mind me asking do you shop any where local?
I use to go to a fish store in stafford....MARU off of courthouse road. They were really nice, had awesome livestock. I was in there maybe 8 months ago and actually got into a somewhat heated argument with the "head" fish person. Needless to say, my last word out the door was "shame on you". Their tanks were in very poor condition. I actually told a man looking at some leathers don't even think of buying them....the red slime was so thick. I haven't been there since, I just hope they have made changes. You have to understand I drove almost 1 hour to get there and the place had changed for the worst drasticly.
I now frequent Marine Scene in Herndon....very much worth the drive. Nothing but saltwater fish, coral and equipment. Check them out on the web...MarineScene.com. They will not ship, but will hold fish in stock for you.
I have been waiting 3 months for a female bellus angel, she was quarantined in their store, (10 days) they contacted me that she survived the shipping, and was qt at my house 4 1/2 weeks . She is now in the display and couldn't be more beautiful if she tried.
Good luck with the search, saltwater fish are hard to come by up here too. Although if you really want the drive, That fish place in Lancaster, Pa is awesome.

cvetnich

Originally Posted by Anonome
I use to go to a fish store in stafford....MARU off of courthouse road. They were really nice, had awesome livestock. I was in there maybe 8 months ago and actually got into a somewhat heated argument with the "head" fish person. Needless to say, my last word out the door was "shame on you". Their tanks were in very poor condition. I actually told a man looking at some leathers don't even think of buying them....the red slime was so thick. I haven't been there since, I just hope they have made changes. You have to understand I drove almost 1 hour to get there and the place had changed for the worst drasticly.
I now frequent Marine Scene in Herndon....very much worth the drive. Nothing but saltwater fish, coral and equipment. Check them out on the web...MarineScene.com. They will not ship, but will hold fish in stock for you.
I have been waiting 3 months for a female bellus angel, she was quarantined in their store, (10 days) they contacted me that she survived the shipping, and was qt at my house 4 1/2 weeks . She is now in the display and couldn't be more beautiful if she tried.
Good luck with the search, saltwater fish are hard to come by up here too. Although if you really want the drive, That fish place in Lancaster, Pa is awesome.
Thanks man I forgot to tell you earlier your tank looks great. I have been to Maru and it was horrible I also ended up telling a guy not to buy anything there cause everything was practially dead. The one here in Stafford Pets PLus is like 3 minutes from my house and it also isn't up to par for me so thanks I will def have to check out Marine Scene.

stemonia

Your reef looks incredible!!!! Is that a Solaris lighting system on your tank? If so, how do you likw it? If not what are you using?

anonome

Originally Posted by stemonia
Your reef looks incredible!!!! Is that a Solaris lighting system on your tank? If so, how do you likw it? If not what are you using?
I only wish I could have gotten the Solaris.....$$$$$. I probably could if I stopped buying coral. LOL
No, it is a 72" Aqualight Pro 150w halides hqi bulbs (3) with 96w actinics (4) with a total of 834w, and 4 blue moonlights. I have been extremely pleased with this light. I went from pc lighting (384w) to noon at the beach!!!! My corals have really responded well to the new lighting.

ghettotang

Nice addition to your tank. I have question are you using a sump if so what pump are you using and how much do I need for my sump for the water pump.
Thanx
Jay

anonome

Originally Posted by GhettoTang
Nice addition to your tank. I have question are you using a sump if so what pump are you using and how much do I need for my sump for the water pump.
Thanx
Jay
GhettoTang....I am not using a sump, this is why if you look at the full tank shot I have a hob skimmer...Aqua C Pro.....awesome skimmer, a hob refugium, also by AquaC...the large one, and a 404 Fluval for running charcoal, polyfilter, etc. The fluval gets cleaned out every two weeks. This works for me, but I cannot
get lazy and not clean the fluval...my nitrates will skyrocket super fast.

anonome

Well, its a sad day for me, my bellus angel that I have been on a waiting list for 3 months, in my qt for 5 weeks...doing great. In the main display for less than a week has jumped ship, and carpet surfed.

I have an open tank, and have lost 3 fish to carpet surfing. 1 diamond goby, short lived, but the other one is knock on wood staying in the tank. 1 heniochus butterfly that I had for over a year, but upgraded lighting...probably scared the guy to death. And 1 bellus angel. I am not a happy camper right now!!!
I paid $87.00 for my bellus. They are not known jumpers....what gives? My whitecheek tang was picking on it, but seemed to be resolved.
However, I do need to go to work....and can't watch the tank 24/7.

fishkid2

sweet only if i had the money my tanks could look close to being urs, might be getting my first job this summer too. Y would u ask that ? if ur tank is good or bad. of couse its good its better then good its great

puffer32

Well, its a sad day for me, my bellus angel that I have been on a waiting list for 3 months, in my qt for 5 weeks...doing great. In the main display for less than a week has jumped ship, and carpet surfed.

I have an open tank, and have lost 3 fish to carpet surfing. 1 diamond goby, short lived, but the other one is knock on wood staying in the tank. 1 heniochus butterfly that I had for over a year, but upgraded lighting...probably scared the guy to death. And 1 bellus angel. I am not a happy camper right now!!!
I paid $87.00 for my bellus. They are not known jumpers....what gives? My whitecheek tang was picking on it, but seemed to be resolved.
Thats to bad
I have had fish jump ship before and its soooooooooo sad. You invested alot of time, not to mention money to acquire this fish, really feel bad for you. He may have been spooked by another fish, even non jumpers will leap (sometimes to high) when scared.

anonome

Thanks all, yes it was indeed a sad day. I still, after all of this believe I will not cover my tank. I love the openness. Helps with heat, oxygen etc., if this makes sense. Not to some, but to those that have an open tank....I'm sure you will agree.
I have not given up on the bellus angel, such a beautiful fish. I have another one ordered. If this one jumps then I may have to rethink this. I really think the bellus will compliment my tank.
Thanks again for the compliments!! I work really hard to keep the tank at near perfect perameters. The one thing that works for me is.....water changes, and more water changes. Reef crystals should like me!! Keeps them in business.
Like I said previously, this system will not work for everyone, but it sure works for me!!

jennythebugg

i'm sorry bout your fishie

anonome

And thanks puffer32. I know that you care about your tank as much as I do mine, and any time a fish jumps it tears at your heart.

puffer32

Yeah, i get this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when i lose a fish. And it has nothing to do with money, they just seem innocent, and you wonder if or what goes through their minds as they are laying on the floor and wondering where they are. Of course they are not capable of these thought processes, but you don't think of that when you see their little dried up bodies laying there. I had a midas blenny jump and he was still wet when i found him, but dead,and i kicked myself in the butt for getting home maybe mins to late to toss him back in.
And i still have open tops on my tanks also, though my 150 has a fake canopy top, its just trim wood really and seems to keep the fish in better. I have had afew jump out, but hurdling the trim work was to much and they splashed back in thankfully. My 55 is another story though, thats the tank the midas jumped out of. I could do the egg crate thing, but just decided to not replace the fish.

anonome

Puffer32....Hear you loud and clear. I feel the same way, and tell everyone about it. Only the "fish people" understand.

fishkid2

i also had a couple fish jump before.
it just makes me mad and sad seeing a fish all dryed up on the floor.

azfishgal

So sorry for your loss. I use egg crate on my tank and it works well. I have a Sleeper Goby and a Royal Gramma, known jumpers, but it really doesn't matter, any fish can jump if startled. I'm putting my tall canopy on this weekend so not sure if I'll continue using the egg crate. Kind of hoping the tall canopy will keep them in.

Question about your black powder, how much do you put in your tank at one time? Do you leave your skimmer off for a while, or turn off your pump? I got mine a few days ago and didn't put as much as the instruction said, but I still think I over did it. I don't think it hurt my tank any but was curious as to how much you put in.

anonome

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Question about your black powder, how much do you put in your tank at one time? Do you leave your skimmer off for a while, or turn off your pump? I got mine a few days ago and didn't put as much as the instruction said, but I still think I over did it. I don't think it hurt my tank any but was curious as to how much you put in.
I feed 1/2 teaspoon in a small glass of saltwater, mixed and then poured into the tank, usually at three different locations. I don't turn any of the pumps off, I figure it can't be bad for the bacteria in the pumps. Some might get wasted, but believe me the corals get plenty since my powerheads help to disperse it around. Since I added the 2 brains I have upped the feeding schedule to every third day with the black powder and have stopped the DT's. I wasn't getting the response with the DT's like with the black powder. I believe this is going on the 3rd week with this schedule and my water chemistry is doing great, so it must not be too much. The directions say can be used daily, but I would think that would be too much. My clams really seem to like it, they open and close many times when the powder is circulating around.
I keep a calendar just for the tank!! When to feed, clean, water changes etc, or when something is added or taken away. This is the only way I can remember when to do what!!