My Black Ice Snowflake Clownfish

btldreef

Lol, I've been mentioning here and there. I think only Snakeblitz caught on.
Lois, thanks for keeping the secret!
I'm due April 26.

gemmy

Congrats on the new clownfish and the baby!!!!!!! Looks like the fish tank budget has some competition!! Good luck!
I noticed the news in the "need freshwater knowledge thread". Good luck with the new job!!

S

smartorl

I have a pair of Black Ice and a pair of Smore's. They are wrapped in bubble wrap, lol. My pair is very similar to yours one much more heavily patterned than the other. I didn't get to pick mine out, I got what I got but overall am really happy with them. You got a great deal or I got screwed,
The Black Ice's I have seen (a friend here has a more mature pair) which is indeed blackening up beautifully.
I was really worried about their hardiness but so far, they have been really normal, great appetites, very active.
I have been toying with selling my platinums and getting another Black Ice pair to replace them.
BI's are beautiful, richly colored fish, my platinums for all the hype, really don't appeal to "me". I know others love them and I bought them to breed but to me they just don't have the same wow!

S

smartorl

Wow! Congratulations! Ah, looking ahead to the animal crackers floating in tanks days! Just kidding, it was other people's kids who did things like that. My kids really didn't care one way or another.

jerth6932

Wow! Congratulations! Ah, looking ahead to the animal crackers floating in tanks days! Just kidding, it was other people's kids who did things like that. My kids really didn't care one way or another.
Mine was "er chicken nugget swimin", as my son threw his chicken nugget into my mix water. Any ways congrats on the expecting of a wee one. They are a great excuse to get more tanks!!! My 90g is my sons and daughters..... I'm only allowed 2 have my 24g, but she did't say any thing about my kidz, so they got a 90g!! Congrats again!

btldreef

Thanks Joe :)
So an odd thing happened on Friday night...
My regular Ocellaris clowns, the already mated pair that have successfully spawned, turned into a single female. These guys have been paired for over 3+ years and within days of adding the Black Ice Snowflakes on the other side of the divider, wifey got jealous and beat the male to death. Poor thing barely had a tail left :-(
So, I've decided not to attempt to pair her again and she's now banished to a single life in my puffer/eel tank. I'm very mad at her.
On a plus side, we took down the divider and the babies now have the full rain of the 55G, and they took right to the anemone that had been hosting the mated pair within a matter of hours! YAY!!!

rainbow grouper

Great news but aren't you worried about the black ice snowflakes picking on the babies or are they big enough to defend themselves now?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow grouper http:///t/388354/my-black-ice-snowflake-clownfish/20#post_3427950
Great news but aren't you worried about the black ice snowflakes picking on the babies or are they big enough to defend themselves now?
An odd but interesting thing about most Clownfish is that they won't pick on another Clownfish UNTIL they are able to defend themselves. For the most part the ungendered juveniles are ignored. The danger comes when they begin to reach adult size & maturity.

btldreef

I'm not sure you're following, the "babies" are the black ice snowflakes. I removed the older female after she killed her mate. She's in a tank with my eels and Toby puffer.

orca t

Maybe I should google this but these look like a mix between the snow flake and the picasso clown. Could ths be accurate? A magazine not to long ago did an article on hybrid clowns. These are very impressive fish. I love the black lining with the orange and black