My first clam any tips? Pics Included.

neowind

Hey guys I finally decided to go ahead and get my first clam today and I really love it. It stands out very well. I know almost nothing about the clam's so I need a little help. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also can you tell me if its a Maxima or a Crocea?

tnmarine

Very pretty, but I am like you I know nothing about clams. Might have to learn about them and put one in my tank.
Did ya get my email?
Aimee
:)

reefrobber

first thing no offense, but you should probably research stuff a bit at least before you buy it, especially when it comes to a clam, the clams are filter feeders, and eat phytoplankton and brine shrimp, when you feed them turn off the filter for 30-60 min. they need a good amount of light to thrive and good water conditions very nice clam:eek:

neowind

I am pretty sure I am covered with lighting. 175w MH 20K XM with 110w PC Actinic 03's over 54g. Cyclopeez I can't find locally so I think I am going to try the brine shrimp as food since I already have some of that. Thanks for the tip about turning the pump off while feeding I am sure that will help.

bang guy

I'm leaning toward Crocea but I'm no expert either.
Don't try to feed it anything directly or you'll choke it. I can only eat phytoplankton. Brine Shrimp and Cyclop-eeze will do nothing for it. If it's a Crocea your 175 may not be enough light. Put it right up to the light as close as you can get it.

reefrobber

i didn't mean any offense your tank is awesome i just believe it's intelligent to look up a few things before you buy things no problem

jlm

They prefer to be on the rock work but if you can't put it on the rocks for some reason make sure to put something under it or it will attach to the bottum of the tank. And you could hurt it trying to get it unstuck. I didn't have any room on my rocks so I put mine on a large shell on the sandbed.

spsfreak100

The T. crocea (which is what you have) is a rock boring clam. As stated above, these clams are naturally found on the rockwork. However, from my experience, they will live fine on the sandbed.
and eat phytoplankton and brine shrimp
Tridacnid clams will not consume brine shrip, or any other such food. Phytoplankton would suit the clams the best. However, from what I've read, the T. crocea will get the majority of nutrients from its zooxanthellae. I personally wouldn't be too worried about feeding, esspecially if the clam is over 3" in length.
Graham

n.o.c.

Hey, I have three super color crocea and they look just like that one. I have mine halfway up in the tank on a rock ledge. they seem to be doing better the closer I move them to the light. They have gotten more colorfull since I first got them and scince I moved them higher in the tank. My friend at the lfs said he feeds his clams 3 times a week with phytoplankton by cutting off and using the top of a 2Liter bottle. Put it over the clam and inject the phytoplankton into the bottle then screw the cap back on. I have 4 VHO bulbs running on an IceCap ballast. This seems to be enough light for the clams to be healthy. Currently I have 8 Clams. here is a pic of one of my clams.
This is a small squamosa clam, I am still trying to find a place in the rockwork where he wont fall from.

musclefish

N.O.C, how many watts are you running? I have a 135Gallon with 4X96Watt PC's on my tank and was thinking about adding a clam. Everything I have read, has said that I need MH. My lfs has been keeping clams under pc's and they seem to be very healthy. I am really starting to get confused. Also, if I am able to get a clam, which ones are the hardest and how do I take care of them?

dima96

this is a general rule of thumb, DO NOT CONSIDER BUYING A CLAM UNLESS YOU HAVE METAL HALIDES. all clams over aprox. 3 inches get most of their food from zooxanthellae. under 3 inch they need phytoplakton, this is all they eat. these rules can be broken but i would not suggest it. and for those who say my lfs is keeping clams under PCs ask how long it has been there. it can take a while for clams to stave to death.

sailfin

I have been researching clams for about two months now. Most comments stated here coincide with what I have read.
1. Clams under three inches need phytoplankton to thrive.
2. Larger clams get most of their nutrition from the zooxanthellae.
3. Metal Halides are a must for all clams.
4. The T. Squamosa clams are the least light demanding of the family.
5. The T. Crocea and T. Hippo are among the most light demanding.
I hope these statements help some. Enjoy your beautiful clam.

brooklyn johnny

I will second Graham in saying that's a definate T. crocea. Do not be concerned with feeding at that size. I stopped feeding my clams phyto long ago and have noticed no difference. In very small clams it is understandably important that they feed as they have no or very little mantle exposure, but my smallest maxima is around 1 1/2" and does fine with no supplemental feeding. Either way yours is clearly large enough to not have to worry.
As Graham said croceas are rock boring and will slowly dissolve the rock they are around and imbed themselves into the reef. However I've had no problems with them on the sandbed. Here are a few images if this, with the first being from a Japanese reef discussed on another board...
Sailfin I believe you meant T. maxima instead of "T. hippo". You may be referring to Hippopus hippopus, the ugly stepchild of the Tridacna genus that requires less light...

neowind

I was thinking Crocea also because just rarely the light will hit it a direction that gives it a greenish turqiouse look deeper inside the mantle. It seems to be doing very good so far only 2 days in the tank though. My LMB is sucking on the hard part of the clam though is this bad? It hasn't touched the the colorful part though. I think he was just eating the algae or whatever off the hard part like he does the rocks. Should I be worried.