My first time in jail...

reefraff

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/3214773
Yes, I know that venomous are illegal to own, in the state of Illinois...UNLESS you have the proper permits, issued by the State, which I have.
Unless you apply for AND receive a "refuge" permit, which I have. Just off the top of my head, it allows to me to have things like racoon, opossum, skunk, wild cats (bob cat, lynx), bears (black bear only) and, venomous reptiles (as long as they're not threatened or endangered).
So a friggin KMART lawyer will be able to get you off, If the DA doesn't drop charges and apologize before that. Unless you were knowingly going to sell the snakes to someone without the licenses I would be looking at suing the cops.

meowzer

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3214786
So a friggin KMART lawyer will be able to get you off, If the DA doesn't drop charges and apologize before that. Unless you were knowingly going to sell the snakes to someone without the licenses I would be looking at suing the cops.
BUT where are the snakes during all this?????

aw2x3

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3214774
The cobras are poisonous, and venomous. I am curious as to the limitations/viability of said permits. This entire case rests on this. Are the permits legit and honored or not? If they are, open/shut case. If not, which I am inclined to believe (not faulting you AW), then why did this go so far? Surely they did not send in rookie cops right out of BLET to take on this sting. It doesn't happen that way. They know the laws, permits, etc.. I agree that tacking on the additional charges is just standard procedure, but if the permits are allowable in your state, and everything is legit, they would have walked away.
Not saying they were rookie...but weren't the sharpest knives, in the drawer.
I had to ask what agency they were with, because they did not identify themselves. I never saw a badge, until a good 45 minutes into the the situation.
I had to ask, once they put the cuffs on (and continued the friendly talk) "Aren't you supposed to read me my rights?"...at which point I got..."Oh yeah! John, do you want to do that?"
I had to explain (and then show) my permits, because they were unfamiliar with my exact permit, even though it was renewed not even 6 months ago.
I had to explain to them to difference between Reticulated Pythons and Burmese Python, when they saw them.

kjr_trig

Bummer Andy, that must have been a wild scene.
Sorry if I missed it, but do you still have that big Monitor Lizard? Any issues with him?

browniebuck

I am sure that I am as lost as you are...but, if you have the permit to have these snakes and you went about everything legally...what is the big deal? It is not like you were trying to sell them to a 15 year old pimple faced kid that thought they would be cool...you asked about permits and were trying to do things on the up and up...
If you have the permits and had your snakes seized anyways AND were arrested, I would think that you have a pretty solid lawsuit against the arresting agency. You had the proper paperwork, you kept it up to date, and there hadn't been any complaints about the animals you had (danger, neglect, threats, or anything). The only thing that I could possibly see is that you were trying to sell them...do you need a license to sell them?

handbanana

Way s####y Man.
Sounds like maybe the guy you were trying to sell to got in some trouble himself and made a deal for some sort of plea? " Ill get you a Venomous snake breeder or seller for lesser charges"?
That sucks man. I really hope everything works out for you on this. sounds like their reaching to me.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
http:///forum/post/3214727
They took the Cobras, yes. And yes, they are illegal, in Illinois...but not if you have your proper permits, through the state, which I have. It took me over a year to get them. Interviews, questions, stacks of paperwork and more than enough fees.
And with a good lawyer, you may actually have a lawsuit on your hands which I would certainly check into. Especially if your snakes are not returned healthy. Please get a lawyer immediately.
Wow, Andy, sorry to hear about this. I'm worried for your cobras...and Brutus.

aw2x3

Here's what I've learned so far.
The Fed guys were only here because "they needed the extra bodies"...is what they're telling me.
They're accusing me of violating the ILLINOIS Injurous Animal Act...so, no federal charges are being filed.
I hired a lawyer and when I told him the story, the first question he asked was "Is this a joke?". He couldn't believe they were actually following thru, with this, let alone setting up a two week long sting.
The guy I was selling to said he was "an hour south of St Louis". He didn't say Missouri or Illinois. But, I required him to have his permits and a list of experiance. From my understanding, the permits were forged, to go along with this sting.
The tickets they wrote out aren't even classified as misdemeanors (let alone felonies), in Illinois, so I'm not sure what they're going for.
And, last but not least, I'll NEVER allow another cop in my house, without a warrant.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3215882
Here's what I've learned so far.
The Fed guys were only here because "they needed the extra bodies"...is what they're telling me.
They're accusing me of violating the ILLINOIS Injurous Animal Act...so, no federal charges are being filed.
I hired a lawyer and when I told him the story, the first question he asked was "Is this a joke?". He couldn't believe they were actually following thru, with this, let alone setting up a two week long sting.
The guy I was selling to said he was "an hour south of St Louis". He didn't say Missouri or Illinois. But, I required him to have his permits and a list of experiance. From my understanding, the permits were forged, to go along with this sting.
The tickets they wrote out aren't even classified as misdemeanors (let alone felonies), in Illinois, so I'm not sure what they're going for.
And, last but not least, I'll NEVER allow another cop in my house, without a warrant.
It might be worth you time just for giggles to contact the ACLU.
There has got to be more to this story than they are telling you. Someone might have snitched you out to get out of a beef for something and made you out to be some big time black marketeer.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3215886
What about the cobras? Are you going to get them back?
Do you still have to get rid of Brutus?
The Cobras are most likely dead. I found out that they set out in a truck, in 34 degree weather, for more than 6 hours.
And, not sure about Brutus yet. I'm waiting till I have more time with my lawyer.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3215891
The Cobras are most likely dead. I found out that they set out in a truck, in 34 degree weather, for more than 6 hours.
And, not sure about Brutus yet. I'm waiting till I have more time with my lawyer.
Oh...I'm so sorry for you.....well and them too
as I sit here and watch a sci-fi movie about snakes LOL