My first time in jail...

aquaknight

Honestly, I bet the Cobra's had hot lead introduced to them. I sincerely doubt any of these hotshots were capable of handling one of them. If you decide to go ahead with a suit/countersuit, lords knows I would, it might be worth it to demand an inspection/return of the cobra's corpse's, if they're indeed dead, to see if negligent care was involved.

reefraff

I could see them wacking to Cobras. I sure wouldn't want to deal with them but I would hope I would have had sense enough, if I were setting up a two week sting against a hardened criminal, to have a handler lined up to insure nobody was in danger or risked having one of the fangy little squigglys escape.

meowzer

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3215895
Honestly, I bet the Cobra's had hot lead introduced to them. I sincerely doubt any of these hotshots were capable of handling one of them. If you decide to go ahead with a suit/countersuit, lords knows I would, it might be worth it to demand an inspection/return of the cobra's corpse's, if they're indeed dead, to see if negligent care was involved.
You think they would shoot them????

t316

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/3215882
And, last but not least, I'll NEVER allow another cop in my house, without a warrant.

This is what every Man, Woman, and Child should know....

I'm no longer a cop, so I have no problems sharing the word, but DON'T do this people. Even if you have nothing to hide, the minute you agree to this, you open up the door to anything else that there was to hide that you didn't even think about.

aw2x3

The supposed buyer was a reptile guy. They told me he works for them, in cases like this. He brought his own snake hook, equipment and everything.
They said they were going to be placed somewhere and I told them all I had to do was pull out my cell and my friends at St Louis Zoo would come get them. They just ignored me.
My bet is that they died, sitting in the cold truck, for hours on end.

lovethesea

so let me get this straight......they take the animals and then let them possibly die due to neglect on their part or just kill them??????? Did I miss something? Its like impounding something, they have to care for it until this mess is straightend out and then your property is returned to you. When this is ironed out and charges are dropped they have to return your property.....right?
Do your neighbors have a problem with your house mates???

ironeagle2006

After reading this sounds like you were set up by PETA or some group like that. So if you go after the Police and the people that set you UP have your Atty Supenoa the HELL OUT OF THE POLICE to find out who turned you in. Your a LICENCED Refuge and VENAMOUS ANIMAL HANDLER IN THE STATE OF ILLINOS. I look at the requirements to get that permit you have NO way you would get it with even a misdamener on your record for the HOT reptiles. Your going to have the Police and the Group that set you up BY THE FREAKING BALLS. The fact they used a FORGED permit is a FELONY right there against them.

browniebuck

the only other question that I have is...did you acquire the cobras legally (do you need a license/permit to sell them in Illinois or wherever you bought them....did you have to cross statelines)?
If everything was on the up and up, I can't see them being able to make any of the charges stick. I would DEFINITELY be asking for proof of what happened to the snakes. You gave them a perfect alternative if they couldn't find a suitable place for them...if they neglected the animals, they should be penalized and/or charged with that crime. If you find that they let the snakes, die...as much as I can't stand them, give PETA a call (what can I say, I LOVE cheeseburgers, steak, pork chops, fried chicken, etc...)!

flower

http:///forum/post/3215943
The supposed buyer was a reptile guy. They told me he works for them, in cases like this. He brought his own snake hook, equipment and everything.
They said they were going to be placed somewhere and I told them all I had to do was pull out my cell and my friends at St Louis Zoo would come get them. They just ignored me.
My bet is that they died, sitting in the cold truck, for hours on end.

I admit am no expert, but I know snakes don't die from the cold; you can put them in a deep freeze and as soon as they thaw out they slither away, and they can go weeks on end without eating. They are also fantastic escape artists, which is why I would not want to be your neighbor.
However if your permits are really in order, I am sure you can get a lawyer and get your critters back. I am also hopeful that permits are regulated, and you can only own certain types, size and number of them.
Oh, and if you are being busted, why would any cop let a "friend" of yours at the zoo hold your snakes and care for them, that would be crazy. Every "friend" or associate would be under a microscope when you are busted for something like this.

crypt keeper

Flower they arent roaches. They arent adapt to this weather or climate. They would never see those temps in their natural areas. Please just stop.

flower

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3216051
Flower they arent roaches. They arent adapt to this weather or climate. They would never see those temps in their natural areas. Please just stop.

Snakes are cold blooded. They move slow in cold weather and will go into natural hibernation; the system just gets slower and slower until they don't move.
I know they are tropical snakes, but a snake is a snake
. Roaches by the way will die from freezing.
Here is a true story:
We lived in Chicago and had an apartment loaded with roaches; they clogged the clocks and stunk when we turned on the stove…YUCK!
Nothing would get rid of them. Orkin man could keep them down but they were there to stay. I moved from Chicago to Wisconsin in the dead of winter. My young son had a gardener snake; my Mom wouldn’t travel with it. So the trucker put it in his cab with him. The moving truck guy got lost and spent the night at a hotel and just parked the truck.
When we got our stuff the next day, my sons snake was frozen solid. I thought it was dead. We put its cage in the house and had our stuff moved in. The thing thawed out and was fine. However we never saw another roach, the cold killed them and the eggs.
My nephew had a python and he only fed it a rat twice a month and had it for years.
So that is what I was basing my info on. I was trying to help the OP not worry about his critters, that they will be fine. I may not like venomous snakes, or want to live even in a state where such things roam free. But I was only trying to help.

flower

I did a Google to find out for sure. Tropical snakes, will freeze and survive just like the ones we have in cold temps...however they develop upper repertory infections and won't last long in unnatural climates.
Now I am worried about Brutis and the other big guys. I don't like poison snakes like cobras, but I love pythons and boas...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
http:///forum/post/3215882
not sure what they're going for.
And, last but not least, I'll NEVER allow another cop in my house, without a warrant.
I was totally shocked that you did allow them. Sorry, but most law enforcement are not there to be your friend.
I hope you can get your cobras back and that they are in fact ok.
If they die...what evidence do they have???

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3216051
Ditto.

reefraff

I don't know if one night in the cold would kill them unless it was below freezing. Dunno but from what I've heard letting snakes get too cool causes them to get lethargic to the point they dont feed and starve to death.
The thing that still amazes me is these idiots I think were expecting to find a treasure trove of venomous snakes and they didn't have a qualified handler there to insure the safety of their own people, let alone the fangy little squigglys (For SoCal)

aw2x3

Flower...that is some funny stuff. First time I've laughed, in a few days. Not making fun of you, or anything...just got a laugh. It's been a wierd few days. lol
Not all snakes hibernate...in fact, most don't. Tropical species can and will die, even if left in sub par temps for a few hours. Anything less than 65 degrees and it's only a matter of time. They come from areas of the world where they never seen winter, snow and most of the time, they never see temps below 70 - 80 degrees.
If all of my snakes could hibernate, I'd get rid of my $300 a month elec bill. They're all kept in a climate controlled room, in my basement, where the temp never drops below 75 - 80, with some areas close to 100 degrees.

flower

http:///forum/post/3216141
Flower...that is some funny stuff. First time I've laughed, in a few days. Not making fun of you, or anything...just got a laugh. It's been a wierd few days. lol
Not all snakes hibernate...in fact, most don't. Tropical species can and will die, even if left in sub par temps for a few hours. Anything less than 65 degrees and it's only a matter of time. They come from areas of the world where they never seen winter, snow and most of the time, they never see temps below 70 - 80 degrees.
If all of my snakes could hibernate, I'd get rid of my $300 a month elec bill. They're all kept in a climate controlled room, in my basement, where the temp never drops below 75 - 80, with some areas close to 100 degrees.

Thanks for not being mad. I googled and learned a little bit. Sorry, my bad.
I don't like any poison snakes, but I sure hope you can get the others back healthy and happy...Good luck.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3216141
I didn't know that about snakes either
I thought they all hibernated
YOU SEE you learn all kinds of things on swf.com