my fish keep dying

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/389057/my-fish-keep-dying/120#post_3441798
Hey guys why have I heard
people saying for a salt water tank glass is not the way to go? And drilled tanks? What!
Not sure, listening to the wrong people maybe?
What exactly is their beef with glass tanks? What do they say is wrong with drilled tanks?
Are you saying these folks advocate external HOB overflows?

oceandude

You're not alone bro...hard for me to help much considering the miles...have you checked for any local Salt water forums and groups in your area? Always 'helpful folks' close...usually. ugh.

Not sure, listening to the wrong people maybe?
What exactly is their beef with glass tanks? What do they say is wrong with drilled tanks?
Are you saying these folks advocate external HOB overflows?
I don't know why they got funk with glass tanks. I met this guy at a LFS he asked me what I had I told him glass and he went crazy. Told me that they break, crack, leak, and the silicone dose not last long. O and you can't polishe them. And I'm asking what is a drilled tank? I read on a post here.

travelerjp98

Where are you from? If you post your location, I'm sure someone else will be like "Hey, that person lives right around the corner from me!"

reeferchief

Hey so still no fishies huh? I was out of this thread but I see where some people were confused about wasting the life of a fish. I don't think anyone would ever suggest that, just a little bit of confusion.lol
Anyways the guy is probably more of a fan of acrylic tanks. Acrylic can be polished and are very durable. Not saying glass isn't, I had a 15 yr old glass tank that was fine and only had one little chip in a corner, no leaks though. I wouldnt worry about the tank material that much as long as its in good shape and holding water!

red tiger

I agree with reeferchief, In addition the the drill tanks, they are very good with asthetics, but from my experience it seems that your flow is dictated by the size of pump you use in your sump. On my 50 i'm using an overflow box and the water seems to flow really well, but im using 1.25" PVC from my main display to sump and 1" on the return and getting very good water flow.
Do you have a sump set up or will be getting one?

I put in a fish last nite just one a cardinal. 40 minute acclimation time He looks ok so far but remember we have 3 weeks to beat. He was AT MY LFS for a week eating and doing good. I really hope nothing happens I have tested my water before I got him and it looks good.

altrocker

I'm not sure if someone has suggested this already or not, but maybe you're adding too many fish at once/within too short of time. Even with the proper filtration set up adding a lot of fish around the same time is a major stress on the system. Just a suggestion. Keep that cardinal only for over a month (if he beats the 3 week mark) and maybe limit yourself to one fish every 2-3 months? Really hope it works out for ya!

I would only add one fish at a time I don't think I was overwhelming the tank. I would put one fish in there and I would wait and wait and wait just how I'm ganna do rite now. I was thinking of letting him in there for a month then adding a clown or maybe another cardinal and then wait again.

oceandude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/389057/my-fish-keep-dying/120#post_3442578
I would only add one fish at a time I don't think I was overwhelming the tank. I would put one fish in there and I would wait and wait and wait just how I'm ganna do rite now. I was thinking of letting him in there for a month then adding a clown or maybe another cardinal and then wait again.
Think you are smart. :) Wish I dad the patience you have. ;)

Hey guys the fish is doing great so far he is eating great. I think he is lonely though he dosnt swim so much like how I saw him swimming at the LFS. Maybe he needs a buddy to play with.

oceandude

Bet you could add a buddy...make sure it's a female if you have a male...two females get along, not two males though. ;)