my fish keep dying

Ok sounds but wait how do I tell if its a male or a female. And so far this guys is swimming very good and eating really good. Maybe ill add one more this weekend just so he is not all alone.

bang guy

It is impossible for the majority of saltwater fish without disecting them.
What species of Cardinalfish do you have?

bang guy

The most obvious is that the Banggai with eggs in its mouth is a male. Beyond that the differences are very subtle and inconsistent. The adult Male Banggai will generally have a more substantial lower jaw line. Some say the banner on the dorsal is longer on the male but I've not seen that play out more than 50% of the time.
A technique I used when I was breeding Banggai was to place a fish known to be a male in a tank with the unknown fish. If they fight it's a male, if not it's a female. This, of course, only works for adult Banggai. This technique relies on what Oceandude mentioned earlier - two male Banggai do not get along.

oceandude

Totally agree on the jaw structure, just hard to tell in younger ones.
Had me about spitting Diet Mountain Dew out of my nose on the 'Lifting and looking bit' ;)

Hello guys how's everyone doing? Yesterday I went to my LFS and got a clown I wanted to get another cardinal but he didn't have one. The clown endured a 37 minute acclaimation period using the drip method. He is doing great he had his first meal and was not shy at all he was all over the tank. Then I did notice a Little bit of tension with the two fish. It was nothing really bad I think they were just getting to know each other. Also forgot to mention that I found out what my salanity really is, so my swing arm was showing 1.022 and the Refractometer is reading 1.023.

oceandude

Yeah, they're just sizing each other up. :) That's as close as I've ever heard a 'swing arm' and refractometer reading being.

Hey everyone just wanted to do an update my clown and cardinal are doing great yes yes yes yes yes super happy. They eat swim play and some times scare them selfs. I'm ganna add a shark tomorrow ha just kidding. I would love to add a blue tang do you guys think he will be ok in my 55 or do they need more swimming room?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Tang http:///t/389057/my-fish-keep-dying/140#post_3445746
Hey everyone just wanted to do an update my clown and cardinal are doing great yes yes yes yes yes super happy. They eat swim play and some times scare them selfs. I'm ganna add a shark tomorrow ha just kidding. I would love to add a blue tang do you guys think he will be ok in my 55 or do they need more swimming room?
I'm afraid a tang is not suited for a 55g...how about a dwarf angelfish? They are beautiful, the only draw back is that you can only keep one in that size tank or they fight....it's hard to choose which one.