My Long Term Reef Build Diary!

rlablan

so... I think that I like the 150 better. And it comes with a stand and canopy for only like 75 bucks more. I think that is a pretty good deal, if you like the stand design. Other than that, it's the same deal.
Cause the other one, even if you get it, you'll have to have a stand and all before it is really able to be set up.
This 150 truely is reef ready if it comes drilled with the sump and all the plumbing pieces. :)
Just my thoughts.
Rae

markw

Thats what pushed me more towards the 150.
1) Still in the house, hasnt been sitting atop things in a shed for months
2) Predrilled.
3) Stand
4) Canopy
5) Dimensions. I like the extra height.
6) Fair price, I think.
Mark

markw

Maybe Im thinking too far ahead or being too presumptuous too soon, but I was thinking about an equipment list for this big boy. I keep getting stumped on the lighting. Because it is 27" deep, the first thing I thought was halides. I honestly dont know all I should about halides before asking this question, but I dont know how large of a range they will cover. I was looking into pendants, and I didnt know if I would need two or three with a 6' tank. I really dont want to have to run a chiller, however. It would be very nice not to have to run that too.
Anyways, I was thinking about the Icecap 250/400W HQI double-ended pendants. I originally thought 2 would work (didnt know which wattage to get for the bulbs, though.). Would 2 of these work positioned 2' apart? I dont plan to be keeping nems, but I would like to be able to keep some SPS if I found some I liked, even if they had to be placed further towards the top.
Thanks.
Mark

meowzer

You might want to look into a complete fixture that has 3 250W bulbs and T5's
I love mine. My tank is a 225 and 31" deep...I run 2 small 4" fans on top, and I am able to control the heat
I have the light 8" above the tank too

markw

Hows this:
Coralife Aqualight Elite:
3x250W MH + 2x96W True Actinic 03 Blue CF
Or
Hamilton:
3x250W 14K MH + 2x140W VHO T5 + 3xMoonlights (18 individual blue LEDs)
Mark

meowzer

This is what I have.....a little pricey, but I love it
Attachment 238529
I can not find the Hamilton one with the moonlights

And I do not know anything about the other one...altho I se it doesn't have moonlights....You don;t need them. I just really like them

markw

What are the dimensions of your tank? I see the 2xMH fixtures only come in 60" and 48" lengths.
Mark

meowzer

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3227853
What are the dimensions of your tank? I see the 2xMH fixtures only come in 60" and 48" lengths.
Mark
OOPS....Mine has the 3 250w and 8T5's
I guess that was the sample picture

It's also called the Outer Orbit

rlablan

The other thing to think about Mark, is a sand bed.
If you run a decent sand bed, at 4 inches deep, then your tank is really only 23'' deep, as far as the light is concerned.
So that being said, any of the lights you are thinking about would be fine. If you are not looking into keeping nems, then you don't need halides, and hopefully... no chiller.
If you want to do some sps, then go for deep water acroporas. I have been told that they are gorgeous but require a lot less light than the other type. (high light guys).

markw

That's exactly what I was going to have. 3-4" SB. I should have considered that. I want to try to make sure I dont have to run a chiller, so I will look into T5s also. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Mark

markw

Okay, well Im having serious issues finding 72" T5 lighting fixtures. The ones I did find were the Aquatic Life 8x39W + 6 lunar LEDs and the Nova Extreme Pro 12x39W T5 fixtures. Both have two fans. The only difference I can find is the name and $150. The question is, would either of these fixtures be practical for what I am trying to keep?
Mark

markw

Okay, so I picked up the tank today and everything looks great. The seals are all super good, overflows are great, stand and canopy are in tact and sturdy. Everything looks good. It is sooo heavy though!
-_-
The tank came with two Coralife Aqualight PC lights. Each is 36", 2x96W PC + 2xLED lunars. I cant figure out how to get the lunars to work, though. Came with timers, chemicals, food, and some other little odds and ends. The only think it didnt come with that I would have liked to see was the underneath plumbing to the overflows. He even dropped the price to $250 because he noticed one of the bulbs had blown. I switched them, and the socket works, just not the bulb. So it is just the bulb and not the fixture.
Either way, it turned out to be a great deal, I think. The lights themselves are $260 each, let alone the tank with cherry stand and canopy, with two lights and odds and ends. I think I got a nice deal. :)
Mark

rlablan

YAY YOU GOT A TANK FINALLY!!!!!!! YAY!!!

I have had a nova extreme pro.. It was GREAT. I kept hammer coral, frog spawn. zoas, gorgonians, mushrooms, leathers, gsp, galaxia... So many more. I even had an acro under it for a while but the tank was a "tall" tank, so it didn't work out that well but it did live.
I was very happy with it and it didn't heat my water one bit.
Can we get some pics of the set up?
How long til you will have some water and sand in this baby?
OH and--
YAY!!!

markw

Absolutely. Ill get it set up tomorrow and take some photos to share. Its sitting disassembled on the floor right now. I need at least one person to help me lift this baby from the floor onto the stand. Its terribly heavy, as Im sure you all know. If I can get another person here, it will be up in the morning. If snow holds off, and work is actually in, it will be a little later, but still tomorrow :)
As for water, I still have to pick up all the equipment and get the plumbing done. I was thinking about a sump with fuge, but I cant figure out a size. I have an extra 55g upstairs that I could use, but I dont think it will hold the skimmer I want. Ill have to recheck the footprint. I was thinking about the G-3 for a skimmer. As for lighting, Im still undecided. I have to at least get the skimmer and lighting, then sump and plumb, then there will be water, then rock, substrate, and finally..after all this time..FISH! =]
Mark

teresaq

I have that same tank and stand. I bought a differant canopy because that one is a little short for MH. Retro T5s would work much better.
I use to have two 8 bulb 36 inch retro fixtures but I didnt care for them at the time and switched to the taller canopy and MH. I now wish I had stuck with the t5s.
Good Luck with your tank.
T