My new 120

oceansidefish

Ok these little beauties are really one of my favorite features of this tank. I was sick of dealing with timers in my other tank. So I found these awesome in wall programable timers from lutron. Found them online for about 50 bucks a piece. The ballasts for the lights are wired to a plug in my attic with the plug wired here. Helps when the hubby was an electrician at one point.

oceansidefish

At this point I am most worried about how everyone will get through the transfer. Since I had to switch from the old tank to the new minus the sand. I had my candy hog and my midas blenny end up in a rock that got moved. Same with my firefish. So far I know my flame hawk and my true perc are just fine since they are both about already. I will have to wait to see with the lights on.

reefman22

those timers are awesome. I need a new digital one cause mine are all screwed up....anyways awesome tank man! its gonna be a nice setup once everything gets transfered over. How are you planning on doing the sand that wont cause a cloudy explosion for three days in your tank? and I see you went the non-biological way with the DIY sump. No bio-balls or live rock or marine mud or anything?
reefman

oceansidefish

I was able to do everything without the cloud explosion. Basically you add all the dry sand, a bag of wet and I added some from my sump in my old tank. Then I placed a pot lid in the center of the tank and very carefully filled it spilling the water over the pot lid. The sand was added water filled and everything transfered over on the same day.

oceansidefish

I may add some LR rubble that I have slowly to the sump...But I will probably leave it bare bones. I am running a DSB and with a phosban reactor I think I should be good. I am not planning on running with a crazy bioload.

oceansidefish

Much to my enjoyment I just walked over and noticed that everything has survived the night. First big hurdle and cause of much worrying from the switch over....Now I am going to go feed my pond.

oceansidefish

just got home from work and everything looks awesome except my toadstool leather. It tore a little when I moved it and its slumped over all the way...Any ideas???

S

shrimpy brains

Very nice! You made it look so easy!
I am about to upgrade from 90g to 125g and have been wondering about letting the new tank cycle before switching over fish, corals, live rock etc.
Did you use some water from your existing tank? Noticed you said you took some sand from old sump! Was wondering if that was all or if you had some pointers, as you seem to have been very successful? Thanks and would love to see some more pics.

oceansidefish

I will get some more pics up tomorrow, I am getting some microbubbles in the DT from the new skimmer. It was not too bad. I had an outbreak of cyano in my old tank so I didnt want to move any of the sand. But I had some from my old tank. My best suggestions are to move the new tank to a new location to keep the old one up while you put up the new one. I only used the water from about the first half of the tank, to keep any stirred up crap out. That is slightly beneficial, more for ease of moving things into as similar of a chemistry as you can.

S

shrimpy brains

Thanks for the info. I will be setting up tank in new location. Also, Will start a thread on here when I get started to get all the advice I can. Also, love the wall timers, thinking about getting some myself. Are you happy with them?
Will keep tuned into your thread, to see your next pics. Thanks for sharing!

oceansidefish

Once I read the instructions.... I loved the timers. They are working just great! Just remember that they have to be hard wired in. The timers are wired to an outlet we installed in the attic. So the great part is the light hangs above the tank and all the cords dissapear into the ceiling. I will post more pics. Bad part is can't really easily unplug lights....Or move them for that matter since they are drywalled in.

oceansidefish

This is pretty much what the tank looks like at this point, I need to get some more rock. But I am not going to add a whole lot more. I want to keep a really open look to this tank