my new 24gal jbj nano

nwdyr

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
Why do you have to wait to add coral? Actually, rather than waiting for a response...
...Coral add very little to your bioload. Fish add a lot. You say you have to wait to add coral...when in reality, fish are at the highest risk if your tank is not cycled.
If your tank IS cycled, add coral tomorrow. If your tank is NOT cycled, you are at risk of stressing / killing those cool clowns.
Patience. Without it, the animals are going to suffer, and so is your wallet.
There has been allot of conflicting info on this subject,I had swf for years,but its been years since I have had them, so I consider myself a "newbe". I used live sand/coral and cured lr to start. Some say I will not get the "cycle" effect. Some say I will but it wont be a "typical cycle" the tank has been up for 1 month. I did get a little nitrate reading last nite about 5.0 I did a 20% water change and plan to re-test today. I think it is from overfeeding, is that poss? so far the clowns are active hungery and healthy.My LFS said to wait 1 more week to add corals,they specialize in swf and have a amazing display! they have divers from the shed aquariam in chicago working there so I trust there opinion.But I also know from past exp. that oyu never had too much info. when it comes to swf!

nwdyr

Thanks for the tips on how to top off the tank! I thought I remeberd that from years ago but just wanted to check. I guess only time will tell what my litte white spec friends are. I tryed to take a pic but they don't really show up, they are pretty small! thank's again for the info! will post some pic's as soon as I get my first coral!!!
cant' wait.....but I will

nwdyr

My nitrites are still up today, about 10, And I did a 20% water change yesterday and feed lightly today. everything else is ok. Any Ideas why?

nwdyr

New additions

Also a feather duster, lower left, of coarse he hides as soon as I take the pic!

jacksdad

Is that an anemone?
If so you are asking for trouble. For two reasons...
First LTA's are very aggressive and anything it can reach it will sting. Secondly and possibly more importantly if it dies it will certainly take everything in your tank with it. One other thing, anemone need a stable and mature tank. Not preaching, just trying to help you avoid a mess later on.
One of the reasons I took my tank down was that I had a mini bubble that split into about 5 very small anemone, maybe the size of a golf ball. Two of them died and wiped out my whole tank in a matter of days.
Again, just my humble opinion,
Bob

nwdyr

hmmm well thanks for the info! I had them in the past and never had trouble with them, even had them die and didnt wipe out the tank, but now you have me wondering! I will have to do some more research! thank's so much for the heads up!

jacksdad

No problem at all. The hardest part about starting a new tank is being patient. I hated waiting months before I started adding coral, but it is worth it. You end up with a healthier tank. Good luck!!
I am starting the get the itch again!!! I have a empty 50 gallon tank in the basement just waiting to be setup!!! Hmmmm I was wondering how to spend my tax refund????

Bob

nwdyr

It's been years since I had a tax re-fund, due to an ex-partner, who is in jail for stealing 250k from me and left me owing the IRS 15 grand! anyway... I did bring back the killer today! I got a brain coral from another more honest LFS. Also got some shrooms! I wil post some pic's tonite when my batteries finish charging. I love this site and this hobby! Again thank you sooo much for the heads up
You think the jerk that sold me the 20.00 killer would have been more honest with me, if he was he would have gotten all my business. o well I guess some people can't see the big picture huh

jacksdad

Originally Posted by nwdyr
You think the jerk that sold me the 20.00 killer would have been more honest with me, if he was he would have gotten all my business. o well I guess some people can't see the big picture huh

There are a lot of people who work at your LFS who know less than you or I. Until you find someone you can trust believe the info on this site before anything you hear at the store. Research , research, research!!!
Again, good luck!
Bob

nwdyr

Hey that guy that sold me the killer is the owner of the store and has been in the business for 25yrs!! go figure. ooo well thats ok cuz the other LFS has a huge selection, and the men that work there are educated and actually told me "no that's not for your tank" then explained why. These guys are amazing! you can't stump them with a question,and you can tell they all love what they are doing and they care about the animals not the "sale" and the owner is the same way!

nwdyr

hmmmmmmmmmm nobody likes my brain?? My ex told me I didnt have one..guess I showed her huh?

nwdyr

sorry the pic's dont do this piece justice! my camera must be a bad one
the color is like flouresent green!

nwdyr

Well today I realized I am a offical reef/nano/coral ADDICT!!! I had some money set aside to make a down payment on a much needed new bedroom set for myself...... however after a vist to a kick a@#$ LFS, I decided to spend the money on my tank! oops
I guess that is one af the advantages of being newly seperated. I didn't have to "explain" my crazy decision to anyone when I came home today with 90.00 worth of coral and LR instead of a new bedroom set. not done yet either, I still have a few hundred more to spend lke a drunken saloir on leave. No home cooked meals waiting for me or clean clothes folded and put away, but I have a great looking tank and it's only going to get better! I hope you enjoy the tank pic's as much as I enjoy having this tank in my house. Heres to all the ex and soon to be ex-wifes who say "are you crazy spending all that money on fish and coral"