My NEW 24gal nano DX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L

lbaskball

Here is a picture of one of my yellow carination corals. There are more on the rock and growing... If its is a little blurry, I apologize. I have a crappy digital camera, so everything that comes out on the picture is not as close to being bright and color as it is in person.
And here is a picture of my small bright orange zoos (although it doesnt look bright in the camera..damn)
And the last pic is this new hitchhiker I found today. It looks like a yellow hairy crab to me but it has these bright red eyes that I have not seen in other hairy crabs online. If anyone can identify it, please do so!!!! I hope its not a hairy crab because I heard they will eat zoo's.

Thank you for all your comments! Hope you Enjoy all these pictures that Ive been putting on here.

nanokid

very nice tank like the clowns in the anemones cant wait to get one for my self soon and the stars are really nice!!!!

jr2857

Originally Posted by JacknJill
i disagree with you jr, i think that the 12 or 24 gallon nanos are great for beginners. they are so easy to manage. yeah, you have to be a little more watchful of the water parameters, but i think everything else makes up for it. you have everything you need in it and you can modify it! im also gettinga 24 gallon aquapod sometime soon
i disagree with you again. always follow the golden rule
"Buy the biggest tank you can afford"

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by jr2857
The biggest tank I was able to afford was a nano 24gal lol...but yes I heard the bigger the tank the "easier" as in when it comes to water changes/parameters etc. BUT I agree with the other person because there are PROS and CONS to everything. Its not like nano tanks are impossible for beginners, This is my first time doing saltwater or as a matter of fact ANY fish hobby. I never have done freshwater, and it wasnt that difficult to begin saltwater wish a 24gal. But I"m sure if I started out with a 50gal for example, it may have been easier when it came to doing water changes/salinity checks...etc? :)

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by NanoKid
very nice tank like the clowns in the anemones cant wait to get one for my self soon and the stars are really nice!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! By the way, that green tenticle thing that looks like an anemone, its actually a long tenticle plate coral. You should definetly get one of those. My clowns are hosting in it and they love it just as much as they love hosting in an anemone! :)

jacknjill

Originally Posted by jr2857
yeah, and once again, i disagree with YOU! its all a matter of opinion. and like i said, yeah it is easier to maintain water quality, but everything else is much easier in a smaller tank. and its not the "golden rule," its the general consensus

yimmy

I couldn't do a nano yet, I have a 95...all parameters are perfect but how do you deal with temp. I live in AZ and have 2fans on timers and my temps now nailed. Let me know how easy it is cuz I have a FOWLR and am thinking about a Nano Reef exactly like you a 24gal with halides and maybe a small chiller. How much did your set up cost not including LS, LR coral or fish.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by Yimmy
I couldn't do a nano yet, I have a 95...all parameters are perfect but how do you deal with temp. I live in AZ and have 2fans on timers and my temps now nailed. Let me know how easy it is cuz I have a FOWLR and am thinking about a Nano Reef exactly like you a 24gal with halides and maybe a small chiller. How much did your set up cost not including LS, LR coral or fish.
Wow...lets say it cost me A LOT. But thats because I have so many corals in it. I did the all the MODS for the metal halides myself. I live in Los Angeles, Calif. and the temperatures can reach up to 82 on a hot day with my chillers on. I dont know how it will be in Arizona. And another big reason why it reaches 82F is because the tank is in a little room. If it was in a big room or in a living room I doubt it would get that high. The thermo chiller holds the temperature quiet well at 82. The liverock wasnt taht expensive. I bought for around 3.99 a pound. Live sand I got it at *****. And everything else, all the corals..prolly adds up to a whole bunch of $$$!!!
To set up the nano I bought at a regular price, and the metal halides with bulb I got around less then $150.00 and the thermoelectric chiller I made was less then $50bucks. So around $200 to get started with Halides/chiller and you will need I believe $250.00 for the tank itself. I like the JBJ tanks more then other tanks. My prefrence.
The end result: PRICELESS haha

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by reeftank27
dont lisen to jr, he doesnt know anything but what he reads, doesnt even own a saltwater tank.
I like to think of opinions as....butt holes..everybodys got one. :) If I offended anyone by saying that..then I apologize. By the way, my anemone is starting to comeback into life. It is slowly regaining its color.

jobob

they make the nano cube with the aquapod HQI now i saw it at that fishplace for $299. im sure its on their site. but nice tank, looks great. did u ever think about fragging that frogspawn, that this is getting big. how can u spend ur time on a message board without owning a tank urself??? i know people are trying to get info on setting one up. but still......

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by jobob
they make the nano cube with the aquapod HQI now i saw it at that fishplace for $299. im sure its on their site. but nice tank, looks great. did u ever think about fragging that frogspawn, that this is getting big. how can u spend ur time on a message board without owning a tank urself??? i know people are trying to get info on setting one up. but still......

"did u ever think about fragging that frogspawn, " yeah I have thought about it..and I know who I will be giving it to when I frag it.
What do you mean when you said , " how can u spend ur time on a message board without owning a tank urself??? i know people are trying to get info on setting one up. but still....."??????
was that towards me? Or were you talking to that one guy who supposedly giving out advice when they dont even have a tank? Because..I have a tank..and those were my pictures :)
Thanks for the compliments.

jobob

no it wasnt towards u, it was about the one whose giving u adivce and doesnt own a tank. i know u have one. it came out wrong sorry. if and when u do frag it dont break it cause u can get cut on the skeleton its very sharp. u can get nasty infections from corals. i would use a dremel or wet tile saw. works great.

M

moatdaddy

can i get a picture of your hood and some help on mine if possiable. Ive got two of the nano cube 24 deluxe hoods, on the busted hood i still got one working. I was wanting to make a custom hood and incorporate the extra light with the new hood with the possiability of adding a mh probably a 75 but maybe a 150. the thing is i dont know where to start with the mods on the hood because i have never done anything like this before. any experienced advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

nanokid

hey lbasketball im going to try to get one of those long tenticle plate corals but how much do those cost ? and lol im trying the picture method where u post a pic of a clown in the anemone and u put it on your tank so the clowns get the idea to go in it but ya today i went out and bought 2 perc clowns very small less than a inch i belive tank breed and guess how much i got them for 10 doll for both put together because i know every body there manegers kids, the ppl that work there they give me a big discount. there reg price for each is 18 doll so i saved enought were i could by another coral my my aquarium

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by NanoKid
hey lbasketball im going to try to get one of those long tenticle plate corals but how much do those cost ? and lol im trying the picture method where u post a pic of a clown in the anemone and u put it on your tank so the clowns get the idea to go in it but ya today i went out and bought 2 perc clowns very small less than a inch i belive tank breed and guess how much i got them for 10 doll for both put together because i know every body there manegers kids, the ppl that work there they give me a big discount. there reg price for each is 18 doll so i saved enought were i could by another coral my my aquarium

The Long Tenticle Plate coral usually cost around $35-$40bucks. Depending on the size. Mine was small, but I thought it was pretty big concidering my tank is only 24gal. What did you mean by "im trying the picture method where u post a pic of a clown in the anemone and u put it on your tank so the clowns get the idea to go in it"
Did you mean your trying to get your clowns to host? The true percs that I have are wild caught. They say that they are most likely to host if they are wild caught. But captive bred ones will host too in anemones and corals. Mine hosted in the plate coral after a week or so. So if your trying to get them to host, just wait and it will eventually host, hopefully! Best of luck!
p.s. sweet deal on the discount for those clowns lol

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by moatdaddy
can i get a picture of your hood and some help on mine if possiable. Ive got two of the nano cube 24 deluxe hoods, on the busted hood i still got one working. I was wanting to make a custom hood and incorporate the extra light with the new hood with the possiability of adding a mh probably a 75 but maybe a 150. the thing is i dont know where to start with the mods on the hood because i have never done anything like this before. any experienced advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
Basically, I bought a HQI metal halide pendent that you can buy online. Its very small and it will fit in the center of a 24gal canopy. You will need a saw to cut smoothly after measuring. Cut exactly so that it will fit tightly onto your canopy. I then use a glue stick to glu around. They are easy to take off when I need to change the lights in 1 yr. I would recommend you get the 75watts. I think its more then enough. Oh and make sure you keep one of the compact flourescent lights that came with the 24gal by moving it more towards the left and drilling holes so u can still keep that running along with your 75watt MH. It wasnt that hard really. Just draw it out and plan where you want to drill any holes. The only hard part was to make sure you measure correctly b4 cutting out the canopy because if you cut too big, your basically screwed.

L

lbaskball

hey nanokid, i would like to see some pictures of your tank if you have any! Dont you also have a bubble tip anemone? please post pictures if you can!
:)

L

lbaskball

My 2 clowns in the long tenticle plate coral picture is on the About. com website!!! It was chosen for the number 1 pick by the editors! SWEEEEEEEEEEET!