MY NEW PUFFER :)

dethsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer#post_3393339
(do they have teeth??)
they have plate "teeth". 2 long, single plates that keeps growing. down at my LFS, they have a dogface puffer who could use some nice shells to grind on (which he has in the tank but hasn't chewed on yet). if they dont grind down their teeth once in a while, they can get to where the can't open their mouth to take in food and then starve. but, there are various methods to manually cut ur puffers teeth, though i would never try any of them. just make sure there are some empty shells in there. if he feels the need to grind his teeth down, he probably will. here is a picture of my puffer for comparison sake. he's 4-6'' long.

meowzer

OHHHHHH...so DETH....could that be why it was picking up little pieces of rock last night? maybe that is how this one does it HMMMM...It should have plenty of stuff then

mproctor4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer#post_3393339
IT ATE FROM MY HAND!!!! LOL....well we shall see how it goes. The guy had one at his house that was about 8" (in a 54G) and his tank is FULL of corals
I don;t have a lot of high priced corals in the 54G.....a few zoas, shrooms, a torch..etc......if I start to see anything go missing....I could move some stuff to other tanks.....
HOW FUNNY....it seems to come to me when I go by the tank...LOL
(do they have teeth??)
LOL....your hooked! 8" long in a 53Gal??? wow. If yours doesn't mess with your corals, I want to get one from this guy too!! She will beg for your attention, especially when she figures out that you are the food god. Man...........now I really want one again (trust me, it doesn't take much)

dethsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer/20#post_3393347
OHHHHHH...so DETH....could that be why it was picking up little pieces of rock last night? maybe that is how this one does it HMMMM...It should have plenty of stuff then
yes mine does the same. i think that THEY think its a small shell or something. of course, mine does inhale a lot of sand when doing so, which doesn't help the ick situation. lol.

meowzer

I have quite a few emply clam shells....I think I will toss some more in
ABOUT THE ICH...WHY would it get ich? I don;t have it....never have, and either does the puffer.....I do not think ich just materializes from eating sand

dethsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer/20#post_3393355
I have quite a few emply clam shells....I think I will toss some more in
ABOUT THE ICH...WHY would it get ich? I don;t have it....never have, and either does the puffer.....I do not think ich just materializes from eating sand

according to my LFS owner, who has been in the hobby since the 60's or 70's, ick lives in the sand at all times. the outbreak just various depending on stress levels of the fish, water paramiters...etc. and pretty much ANY puffer is incredibly vulnerable to ick. they can get it very often.

S

smartorl

You are going to love him so much! Ours is named Puffy McPufferson, original I know.
If something happened to him, I would be devestated. He is the most interactive fish I have ever known.
I found Puff in our bait bucket when we bought bait fish in Sebastian. He was about an inch at the time. He is now about six inches.

S

smartorl

Knock on wood, Puffy has never gotten ick.
He is in with all my corals and I have only had one incident. It was a temper tantrum and has not repeated itself. He is used to being hand fed and played with. I added a small niger trigger who was shy but grew very bold and feeding time and dared to try and grab some of Puff's food. Puffy chased him and when the little trigger darted into the rockwork, Puffy grabbed, shook, and shredded my frogspawn that was right at the spot where the smaller fish disappeared. It was liking a bull attack something, lol. He was po'd.
The trigger never repeated his stunt and to this day, Puff has never touched another coral.
He has been a model citizen. I have shrimp in the tank that he never messes with as well. A lot depends on the individual fish. He sees the "I" bring food, I don't think he realizes that there is food living in the tank, lol.
On the other hand, I had a little toby that could not be trusted at all, little snippet that he was.

meowzer

Thanks.....How often do you feed yours? the guy I fed it from said he fed it some shrimp 2-3x a week
I obviously feed my tank daily a mixture of foods...so I know it will be eating that...I am referring to the spot feeding (or hand) LOL

meowzer

WELL....apparently they will eat flake and pellets...LOL...I still had some internal filter adjustments to make (had to move return spray bar to other side of tank) and everytime I go near the tank the puffer comes to me
so I tossed in a couple of pellts and flakes...LOL...and it ate it
I don't think Ishould have to feed it everytime I go near the tank though LOL

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethsight http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer/20#post_3393357
according to my LFS owner, who has been in the hobby since the 60's or 70's, ick lives in the sand at all times. the outbreak just various depending on stress levels of the fish, water paramiters...etc
. and pretty much ANY puffer is incredibly vulnerable to ick. they can get it very often.
This is simply wrong, and is a held onto belief from some of the old-old timers in the hobby, who never got around to understanding the "lengthy" life-cycle of ich and other parasites. Many 10's millions of marine fish have been lost over the years to ich, and I'd sure wish more people took the time to Qtine thier fish AND understand that ich is like any other parasite, and if you work to remove it from your system, and prevent it form returning it IS possible to have an ich or velvet free system. My DT's have been fish-parasite free for several YEARS, but only thru careful evalualtion, isolation, and treatment of new fishes can I hope to keep them that way. It's just as possible to have a system FREE of aiptasia, too - as long as you PREVENT it from entering your DT.

dethsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer/20#post_3393413
WELL....apparently they will eat flake and pellets...LOL...I still had some internal filter adjustments to make (had to move return spray bar to other side of tank) and everytime I go near the tank the puffer comes to me
so I tossed in a couple of pellts and flakes...LOL...and it ate it
I don't think Ishould have to feed it everytime I go near the tank though LOL
yea. gets them into the habit of always getting food when ur there. mine does that. hes too cute to not give food to :(

dethsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer/20#post_3393419
This is simply wrong, and is a held onto belief from some of the old-old timers in the hobby, who never got around to understanding the "lengthy" life-cycle of ich and other parasites. Many 10's millions of marine fish have been lost over the years to ich, and I'd sure wish more people took the time to Qtine thier fish AND understand that ich is like any other parasite, and if you work to remove it from your system, and prevent it form returning it IS possible to have an ich or velvet free system. My DT's have been fish-parasite free for several YEARS, but only thru careful evalualtion, isolation, and treatment of new fishes can I hope to keep them that way. It's just as possible to have a system FREE of aiptasia, too - as long as you PREVENT it from entering your DT.
i dont have the money/space for any more tanks so i cant have a Qtine tank. my cleaner shrimp does his job and removes the ick from my puffer.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer/20#post_3393421
I PETTED IT

Just like a Kid with a new toy you are!!!! lol WOOO HOOO!!!!!!! Oh and guess what, I have something in my QT besides snails and a few Hermits... Got 2 Clarkii Clowns.. I will get pics of them soon for all to see!!! That is one thing I forgot to tell you in the PM I sent you, I have had them for about what Month and a Half... lol

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer/20#post_3393428
Just like a Kid with a new toy you are!!!! lol WOOO HOOO!!!!!!! Oh and guess what, I have something in my QT besides snails and a few Hermits... Got 2 Clarkii Clowns.. I will get pics of them soon for all to see!!! That is one thing I forgot to tell you in the PM I sent you, I have had them for about what Month and a Half... lol

CONGRATS....can't wait to see them.....and YES....a lot of times I do act like a kid....haha
BTW...does anyone know if puffers can jump? The tank is not open, BUT just sitting here I left the front section of lid off while I was doing something

luvmyreef

Awww. he is really cute meowzer. Everytime I see one in the pet store, they seem very interested in you as much as you are with them. Congrats on a cute fish.