My tank so far

So does anyone have any idea what I should place in my middle chamber besides bioballs and carbon?? Any info is greatly appreciated.

jlm48

Originally Posted by saltwatersubie
http:///forum/post/2863028
I don't know what it is yet but it's very very small
Looks like a little mushroom. Either way it's cool. As for the lights, go with the MHs. If you need a chiller (I have one) get it. Basically don't skimp. That's my advice to you, but that's just me.....

jlm48

Originally Posted by saltwatersubie
http:///forum/post/2945679
So does anyone have any idea what I should place in my middle chamber besides bioballs and carbon?? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I don't use bio balls or carbon. Just live rock and sand and I haven't had any problems yet.

worrballer

Some people do live rock. But some people also say that'll catch detritus like the bio balls (thats what I think) Cheato and live sand or mud in a cup or some sort of contraption would probably be best.
You could also do chemi-pure or purigen instead of carbon, I think that is a matter of opinion. I've never used anything besides carbon but will probably switch to chemi-pure once my carbon depletes.

Thanks for the info, I was also thinking about getting chemi-pure. So I assume that I keep the bioballs and just add the chemi-pure when my carbon needs to be changed right?

nissan577

well you can. but to most of us the bioballs like stated above collect detritus. just remove all the bioballs add a submersible light and Chaetomorpha and your good. add chemipure elite aswell. works like a charm! wont be disappointed!

Hopefully the only 3 fish stores in Charleston have chaeto if not then I will have to order it from the net. Do I need a special type of light? would a submersible one be better than one that sticks on the back of the glass?

bdhb12

I've seen both used. A stick on back would require paint removal. Submersibles are hard to find but someone here found two of them @ not too bad of a price. Depends on what you want.

Thank you

I had to aquascape my tank all over again because I had to get rid of my purple pseudo. He was picking on my sixline and my cleaner shrimp
I will have full tanks shots up later today so you guys can comment on my aquascape. I also have a few new things that need their pictures taken.

whisk

looks like youre getting somewhere now, its starting to look great. I agree with Nanonewb, the combo sand makes it look really unique!

I had a flame angel and he died recently. My 2 clowns also kicked the bucket, I think they may have had marine velvet. I couldn't tell if it was that or Brooklynella
So now I just have my sixline and a diamond goby. I'm gonna let the tank settle for a month and then start to introduce a new pair of clowns. I think I'm gonna buy some coral online tonight so I will post pics when it comes in. I would go to my lfs but they don't have anything. Oh I did add a cleaner shrimp a few weeks ago, I love that little guy!!

So I just bought a trumpet coral and 2 Ricordeas one is green and the other is a multicolor. Stuff should be here Friday, I will post pics