Need help fast!

btldreef

You can actually drop the salinity right down to 1.009 (with the stock list you have), it's raising it back up that is what you need to be very careful with.

levinjac

Yay im doing hypo on monday ill take out a gallon of sALT then replace it with fresh ro then ill do a test to see all my results every 2 hrs

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380990/need-help-fast/60#post_3317472
LOL..THANKS....I was really hoping someone would add some thing here

I was not 100%, so I was trying to be cautious
Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac
http:///forum/thread/380990/need-help-fast/60#post_3317474
really? cool well i wont have to worry about bringing it back up for six or eight weeks
Yes, in fact, if you had a very sick fish, the lower salinity right away can really help. Raising the salinity needs to be done over time.

S

smartorl

I had never done hypo before, guess I had just been extremely lucky! With the instructions in the disease forum and Beth's patience with my questions, it was alot easier than I thought it to be!
Dropping was no problem, I just pulled out a couple of gallons and filled with fresh a couple of times a day. Everyone is now clear and doing very well. I used this time to add a couple of fresh water mollies that I have had in a QT so they can be aclimated back to salt slowly with the rest of my crew next week.
It really is an easy process as long as you prepare and have everything ready.
Also, after you begin, keep an eye on your water quality. You may have to do some small water changes to keep everything stable.
Do you make your own salt water or buy premade?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I always have pre-made salt water on hand that has been under a powerhead for at least 2 days.
For hypo, just change out salt water for a bit of fresh water. If you want to be extremely good, then make that fresh water with appropriate level of pH before it goes in to the hypo-ed tank. If you're a tad lazy like me, then I will simply watch the pH very closely and be ready to act if it drops. Its best to keep pH at the same level as the display tank where the fish will ultimately make their final home.
To acclimate he tank back to normal SW, if you have fish in QT, then use the display salt water to bring the fish out of hypo. If you are hypo-ing in the display, then use your pre-made water as suggested in the first sentence.
It can't be emphasized enough to "age" the water for a least a couple of days. Sometimes, I will even add a gal of display water to my pre-mix, as long as its good quality water. However, do this after the pre-mix has been well mixed.

levinjac

Is this plan ok i will take a gallon of R/O and add ph buffer to the bucket? then ill let the water sit for 2 hrs then take out 1 gallon of saltand replace it with the R/O water then ill test the water after 5 min. and repeat the process until my salinity is 1.009

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would test the pH after the fw has been added to the tank. Wait 6 hours. If it needs adjustment, then slowly make those adjustments. Believe it or not, I rarely need to make adjustments, but I suppose it depends on your source water.

levinjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/380990/need-help-fast/60#post_3317549
I had never done hypo before, guess I had just been extremely lucky! With the instructions in the disease forum and Beth's patience with my questions, it was alot easier than I thought it to be!
Dropping was no problem, I just pulled out a couple of gallons and filled with fresh a couple of times a day. Everyone is now clear and doing very well. I used this time to add a couple of fresh water mollies that I have had in a QT so they can be aclimated back to salt slowly with the rest of my crew next week.
It really is an easy process as long as you prepare and have everything ready.
Also, after you begin, keep an eye on your water quality. You may have to do some small water changes to keep everything stable.
Do you make your own salt water or buy premade?
I make my own i dont like to rely on a store for saltwater i mean what kind of fun would that be

levinjac

iseariously hate to get rid of my snails oh well ill give them to my ifs or ***** by me and when the time comes ill buy new snails 2 skunk cleaners and 1 emrald crab