NEED TO VENT part TWO

florida joe

Seems like part one was stricken from the boards. I have no complaints. But my original thought still prevails. Come on hobbyists the fundamentals must be in place BEFORE you start this hobby. PLEASE READ READ READ. I may be the only one reading some of these post and have a concern that they obviously show a lack of the most elementary knowledge. That lack of knowledge is not only causing the hobbyist money it is putting the live stock we try so hard to keep in danger

mony97

+1001, Agreed.
I did research for about a year before I set up my tank, and still feel I am very new to this hobby, and will continue to learn from experiance, this site and my new found interest in google searching almost anything I can think of before and after posting on this site, just to have a better understanding of what processes are going on in there.
P.S I have and always will appreciate all the help and knowledge this site has given me. Thanks for all your help everyone ;)

handbanana

Ive come to the realization that Ive been relying heavely on other people to gain knowledge about the hobby. This site seem so cool and full of info I never really took it on my self to try to contribute anything. for that I apoligize.
Ive decided to sit back and learn. Read other peoples posts and then try to find out for myself. not much is gained by rushing in and taking other peoples word for things. %%
Theres so much to learn here and Everyone seems eager to help. I want to be able to return the favor

florida joe

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3214419
Ive come to the realization that Ive been relying heavely on other people to gain knowledge about the hobby. This site seem so cool and full of info I never really took it on my sel+++++++++++++f to try to contribute anything. for that I apoligize.
Ive decided to sit back and learn. Read other peoples posts and then try to find out for myself. not much is gained by rushing in and taking other peoples word for things.

Theres so much to learn here and Everyone seems eager to help. I want to be able to return the favor
You do the hobby and everyone in it a service by absorbing as much info as you can from all sources (books included) and draw on that aqiared knowledge to help others. you seem well on your way to being a true hobbyist

mony97

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3214419
Ive come to the realization that Ive been relying heavely on other people to gain knowledge about the hobby. This site seem so cool and full of info I never really took it on my self to try to contribute anything. for that I apoligize.
Ive decided to sit back and learn. Read other peoples posts and then try to find out for myself. not much is gained by rushing in and taking other peoples word for things.

+1
I feel that way sometimes as well, and have been able to help others at times, or at least do my best with the knowledge I have gained. That is why I have been google searching as much as I can lately seems to help and gives me a better understanding of things.

J

jstdv8

I personally prefer to ask here rather than google it. I trust most posters on here more than just a random site.
I try to pitch in when someone asks about something I know about :)

florida joe

the thread is not a debate as to weather or not you should ask a question on the boards the thread is aimed at those hobbyists that are asking questions with a tank up and running that are IMO putting that tank in danger by not knowing the fundamentals before beginning

I sometimes feel that I am asking too many questions. I have had my tank since the beginning of november and have yet to have more than just a damsel in it(minus a so called bullet proof eel) I have almost literally lived on this forum since the time that I found it, trying to digest everything that I can. (My wife actually ask me if I was married to the site now..
)
I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has taken even one minute to help me in this awesome hobby.
~grace

spanko

This is IMO not an easy hobby. As such it requires a certain amount of knowledge before even entering into it. As with anything the information is available in volumes and the background of a lot of people smarter than most of us here is out there.
Because there are sites like this and people like us available on the net it has become much easier for people to get on and ask. I don't think this method of getting info will go away.
It is the Love Boat syndrome. Get on the boat for a weekend and find true love. Get on the net for a few days and get everything you think you need to keep a marine aquarium.
IMO neither of those approaches works to get a full and lasting understanding of what you are looking for.
I sent Joe a PM the other day saying something to the effect of it gets tiring answering questions over and over. But I guess I will continue to do just that and continue to try to point people to literature both on the web and in book form to help them to increase their knowledge.
The real thing that bums me out is the person that comes on asks a question and gets information and experiences from multiple people that may not be what the person wants to hear. And that person continues to ask the question, or argue with the results, until someone comes on and gives the answer wanted. Or goes ahead and does what has been advised against, then comes back when it doesn't work out and asks for help to fix the problem caused.
My rant.

florida joe

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3214490
This is IMO not an easy hobby. As such it requires a certain amount of knowledge before even entering into it. As with anything the information is available in volumes and the background of a lot of people smarter than most of us here is out there.
Because there are sites like this and people like us available on the net it has become much easier for people to get on and ask. I don't think this method of getting info will go away.
It is the Love Boat syndrome. Get on the boat for a weekend and find true love. Get on the net for a few days and get everything you think you need to keep a marine aquarium.
IMO neither of those approaches works to get a full and lasting understanding of what you are looking for.
I sent Joe a PM the other day saying something to the effect of it gets tiring answering questions over and over. But I guess I will continue to do just that and continue to try to point people to literature both on the web and in book form to help them to increase their knowledge.
The real thing that bums me out is the person that comes on asks a question and gets information and experiences from multiple people that may not be what the person wants to hear. And that person continues to ask the question, or argue with the results, until someone comes on and gives the answer wanted. Or goes ahead and does what has been advised against, then comes back when it doesn't work out and asks for help to fix the problem caused.
My rant.
Henry dear friend let me stoop to symbolism
now Don't Bogart That Joint

spanko

One of the best people out there on chemistry related to the hobby is Randy Holmes-Farley. Google his name.
Darn, typing not fast enough. Bang beat me to it!

florida joe

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3214560
One of the best people out there on chemistry related to the hobby is Randy Holmes-Farley. Google his name.
Darn, typing not fast enough. Bang beat me to it!
as I stated above don't bogart, and type faster