Neptunes 125 Reef Diary.

spanko

Looks GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!
I don't think I would add another pc. of rock in there. You have some wonderful open swimming space like this.
Well done!!!

mkroher

Neptune..
I was skeptical at first and thought the background wasn't appealing at all.
It looks great.
Good job!

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Ryancw01
http:///forum/post/3110871
Wow...that looks really good under that lighting...worth all the hard work so far. Been following this one for a while now...
Mighty thanks
Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3110872
Looks GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!
I don't think I would add another pc. of rock in there. You have some wonderful open swimming space like this.
Well done!!!
Believe me, i am considering this. I especially am taking notice japanese style reefs, they seem to have less rock than what were used to...but they look absolutely amazing!
The 50lbs I'm ordering will be mainly for the sump down below, and probably a couple choice pieces up top. The goal I wish to achieve is to complement the wall but not cover it up.
It wont be easy, since I really honestly have no artistic talent at all. I can do stick figures and thats about it ^_^
But the picture I have in my head is to have a single peak at the far left(not much more than 10-14" tall, then a dip in the middle where it will be relatively open sand, then another peak on the right):

My thinking is this will landscape nicely and allow me to ahve some rather large "branchy" corals! At different heights.
Originally Posted by redsea

http:///forum/post/3110904
awesome tank!!!!!

Originally Posted by mkroher

http:///forum/post/3110986
Neptune..
I was skeptical at first and thought the background wasn't appealing at all.
It looks great.
Good job!
That is extremely gratifying! I also got a purple black light(I think...as it is purple at least). And it really looks smokin! And the water keeps getting better looking everyday as the dust settles. My camera skills/equipment simply don't do justice to the realism of this wall! Just imagine it one day covered in Coraline and pretty corals all the way up

fishkid13

Looks Great Nep!

Background looks good. The onlything I think you should have done is cover the pc overflow like you did with the back. Make it match in, it stands out to much now.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by fishkid13
http:///forum/post/3111267
Looks Great Nep!

Background looks good. The onlything I think you should have done is cover the pc overflow like you did with the back. Make it match in, it stands out to much now.
Its an upgrade I considered doing one day. The reason I didn't make it apart of the wall was to be able to freely remove it if I ever needed to clean it,adjust it, or put in an entirely different overflow system. Also consider the logistics of putting in the OF bar...not knowing exactly how the water level would meet it. Would be pretty lame if I was off by even 1/4-1/2 inch and it only pulled water from one side.
Im counting on it eventually getting covered in Coraline to blend it in, plus when the tank fills out with corals, it should help mask it better as well.
Upgrading it is really a simple matter of draining the tank to %50 in which case ill have freedom to remove the entire overflow system, or spray on another coat of foam. Im sure the fish will survive something that would take 10-12 hours total. Including Great stuffs ability to dry %100 within a few hours.

posiden

If you were ever going to consider covering up the OF bar, I would build another one and have it ready for a swap out. The chances of you having things on the back wall (besides bacteria) will be pretty great. Letting the back wall air dry will reek havoc on your cycling. Just think how sensitive the system is to adding a piece of LR to an established tank.

king_neptune

Thanks for catching that. I just thought about it a few seconds, and I generated a couple possible scenarios right off the bat to counter that problem using your foresight, and idea of a "Premade" piece.
THX

fishkid13

King_Neptune;3111742 said:
Its an upgrade I considered doing one day. The reason I didn't make it apart of the wall was to be able to freely remove it if I ever needed to clean it,adjust it, or put in an entirely different overflow system. Also consider the logistics of putting in the OF bar...not knowing exactly how the water level would meet it. Would be pretty lame if I was off by even 1/4-1/2 inch and it only pulled water from one side.
Im counting on it eventually getting covered in Coraline to blend it in, plus when the tank fills out with corals, it should help mask it better as well.
QUOTE]
Glue a GSP frag to it and should cover it nicely. Pluse with have the "wavey" affect.

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/3112655
Glue a GSP frag to it and should cover it nicely. Pluse with have the "wavey" affect.
They will do ok that close to the surface? And think i could get it to run the length of the bar? A great idea, id like to look deeper into it.
Also a shot of the system w/MH on.

fishkid13

Nice tank!
They will do good next to the surface but you have to watch you water level so it doesn't drop below the GSP. And with the "really" direct light they should grow at a rapid pace. Who Knows? Every colony of GSP I have had prefered requirments. This might be were they grew and or collected.
Also if you to help with the full lengh of the bar you can put different peices in different spots along the bar. I had doubts that they will grow on slick surfaces sense they had nothing to really "hold" on to but after seeing them cover half the back on 2 of our local reefers tanks I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for PVC.

greenreefer

It looks like the overflowbar blocks most ofvthe light from the back wall. Is the photo misleading or is that really the case?

fishkid13

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3112678
All hail the mighty power of the foam wall!

I wonder if other polyps would do as well. Maybe I can have a rainbow of color...

Yellow polyps would work. Don't know if their are any blues or reds? That would look awesome though.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/3112682
It looks like the overflowbar blocks most ofvthe light from the back wall. Is the photo misleading or is that really the case?
Miss leading. Notice the tops of the rock out croppings all the way down the wall...the light looks like its hitting them with great intensity..but 1/2"lower and its suddenly in the shadows.
The lights actually off set towards the center of the tank and pointing straight down. The overflow sits about 1" away from the back of the foam wall. Dont get me wrong, it is creating a visible difference in light intensity, but that is the camera making look it worse. And byt he time the corals grow out and towards the center of the tank, they will get a nice beam directly onto them.
These are 250wx3 at 19" of water depth, and 10" above the surface, the light penetrates all the way. If I can get away with it...Ill move the lights closer...and slightly more fore ward and angled back towards the wall.
However, my next project will be a tower overflow in one single corner...or a single column in the middle, with the foam wall built onto it. The over flow bar was a novel idea for surface skimming, but I think it will make little difference over all when you look at my system as a whole. I can keep my system clean by other means than just surface skimming.

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/3112688

Yellow polyps would work. Don't know if their are any blues or reds? That would look awesome though.
I went to LFS and saw them in person. Nice recommendation, they will look great indeed. Guy told me they should grow just fine on the PVC.

king_neptune

you can get them in red/blue/green/white/brown/yellow
red white and blue would be pretty cool. but then again it might look tacky

king_neptune

I noticed some growth on the scrubber screen today. Odd since I haven't hooked up the lights yet. Its a reddish brown...diatom bloom beginning perhaps? Its just small hints,nothing thick yet. I personally just expected to see it in the sand and maybe even glass...but not the scrubber station.
NH3 is slightly climbing, I'm now getting a .25 reading, but eve that is a very faint insignificant raise. I hate these test strips, they are pretty tough to read. How high is an average spike?

mma-guy

this tank is looking awesome!!!! GREAT JOB! at first look when the foam backing was put in and the wood was in... it was ok... then when live rock and sand added looked amazing!
ive been working at a small aquarium for 7 years and this tank looks just as good if not better than some of ours!