Neptunes 125 Reef Diary.

markw

What exactly do you do with them? I mean how do you keep them? I ve never heard of such a thing.

Mark

king_neptune

hey, some people save toe nails.
others eat boogers.
we all got our weird habits

Though Im not sure about keeping the molt.
At least I can medically justify the booger thing. Doctors in Australia have proven it boosts the immune system, and are actually encouraging people to do it.

mma-guy

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3123592
How often do they molt?
every month or so depending on how much theyre eating/water quality/ etc
keep a close eye on them when they do first problem is they get stuck and or may lose a leg while molting unfortunately mostly with long legged many jointed crabs this happens a lot.
another problem is that this is the most vulnerable time for crabs and if you have any aggressive crabs they will attack/eat them while they are soft (one of my big spiders was molting... a female came over grabbed his leg, ripped it off, and ate it in less than thirty seconds).
a couple of molts should be fine
again check for complications while molting and if it seems that the crabs stuck make sure u dont touch it they are extremely delicate while molting
give it a few hours and the shell should be pretty hard
BAD EXPERIENCE WITH MOLTING: I had a shame face a few years ago... molted for me twice and got significantly larger both times. Unfortunatly third time wasnt a charm i walked in to find him in pieces in his 10 gallon...

i still got the shame face molts although they are flaking a little bit
oh and u dont really need to do anything to keep molts except keep them in a place where they wont be touched a lot as they are hollow and really fragile!
i probably get this from the aquarium as we dry our molts and put them in a case as they dont smell or shatter once dried...

jas1

Same thing happened to my Sally when I put her in the tank. I wonder if they will drop a leg on purpose as a defense mechanism? Nothing touched mine but the DAMsels I HAD in threre at the time went after her and that's when her leg came off. After the first molt it was back and she hasn't lost another one since. I've heard that when they get bigger you have to mke sure you keep them well fed or they'll start takin out your fish???
NICE scrubber King!!!!

jas1

Originally Posted by MMA-Guy
http:///forum/post/3123708
we dry our molts and put them in a case as they dont smell or shatter once dried...
That is WICKED sick man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bet they look cool as shiz in a display case. Do you have a black light over it?!?!

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Jas1
http:///forum/post/3123745
I've heard that when they get bigger you have to mke sure you keep them well fed or they'll start takin out your fish???
NICE scrubber King!!!!

if it comes down to that, it will have to take a time out in the toilet.
ya, this scrubber be pretty sweet! glad I had the foresight to integrate it directly into the tanks man plumbing. Was a little worried the lights would be too bright. But well see. I can always buy smaller bulbs.
This is all trial and error for the most part. My next build will blow this one out of the water...I hope! Im already considering options. But pretty much the next one will be a reward for graduating school, and based off a nice beefy salary

No less than 300g. But I'm already thinking about doing a DIY made tank in the 500-800g range. Who knows, right now its only a dream, but I will definitely see it through.

king_neptune

Blenny is in. swam up to a rock and perched. Been watching me for an hour. I will call him scooter!
The arrow crab went in and went to town right away. I will call him bert!

Snails i put in and righted them a.. Cant remember which ones are the kind that cant right them selves. but most of them haven't moved yet. only a couple have. So I'm un-descided which ones are alive ect. I guess Ill find out in a couple days.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3123838
800+g!! With glass/acrylic viewing windows on the sides!

Mark
If I did go that big, it would be a wall dividing two rooms. I want a tall tank from floor to ceiling that you can stand and look at, and have the sensation that your in the reef itself.

king_neptune

mainly i got Bert for the bristle worms.im sure after a month or two they will all be gone. right now they are festering in my tank. 3 weeks ago it was a couple, today I can count dozens.
Also I was wondering if my lawn more blenny will be happy with the green hair algae and the diatom bloom? or is that not the right food for him? I can get him something yummy tomorrow at the LFS.

king_neptune

Tomorrow I'll head over to the aquarium room and snap some shots. Honestly not too impressed with the snails, 6hours later and Ive only seen 5 or 6 active, out of 30. Time will tell, but I'm fairly sure I'll never order snails online again. I'd rather just buy them at lfs, where I can see them active before I buy.
The emerald crabs don't do much either, they are mostly interested in hiding and sitting. I thought hey would be interested in eating.
The sally light foot,hermits and arrow are super active. constantly chowing down.Ive got a sizable dent in my algae population. As soon as I poured in some empty snail shells they all scattered to them and within minutes they were trying out new shells, then swapping back and forth. It was really fun to watch.
I also seeded the tank with pods. I'll probably order some more in about 2 months once my scrubber is going in full swing. But for now I just wanted to see if I could get them to grow. Not sure if they can. I don't know if I have anything they can live off of, except diatom and green hair algae. Anyone able to answer this?
All my parameters are 0 which is awesome! But then again Ive only had stuff in it for a few days. Of its still 0 in 3-4 weeks(which I'm highly confidant it will be. this is an extremely light load). ill get a couple gobies and some cooler looking blennies. By the end of October, i want to have a couple tangs and possibly my first easy care corals.
Oh and I just got my first salifert test. ITs made of WIN! I will never order one seachem basic tests again. Comparing the color charts to a little plastic tub is too hard with such a minute amount. And the ammonia tests were highly inaccurate. I would have 6 batches and all 6 would show different readings. I cant comment on the more elaborate sea chem tests, iodine,calcium,magnesium ect, but the basic ammonia/trite/trate tests are terrible to interpret.

posiden

Where is this aquarium room located?
I was thinking of taking a drive up to barrier reef tomorrow. It's not a big store by any means but they had nice corals last time I was in there.

mma-guy

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3123796
Maybe wierd to ask, but do you have any photos of a molt?
Mark
No but i still have both the shame face molts so i can take some pics of them...
first molt lost part of its pulling claw not to bad tho
second molt is still fine yay!

o yeah forgot to say that i would recomend getting a shameface theyre really cool i kept mine on a strict diet of periwinkles but i guess if u wanted to keep show snails theyre not a very good choice... they have a lot of personality and mine tried to make a castle of snail shells lol
he never even raised a claw to my fish either

mma-guy

Originally Posted by Jas1
http:///forum/post/3123748
That is WICKED sick man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bet they look cool as shiz in a display case. Do you have a black light over it?!?!

no just wooden case with glass so when people come in they can see it
a couple lobster molts, like twenty horshoe crab molts going from 1/2 of an inch across to about 6 inches across
also got a 100 year old lobster shell full not even missing a leg its huuuuuuuuuuge! its up on the wall like 20 lbs i think. but yeah they do look really cool if u really want to keep a molt spray some liquid acrylic that'll do the trick on any molt