Neptunes 125 Reef Diary.

king_neptune

Means a lot to have you make an account just to post to mine ^_^
truly! I encourage all to put links of this build to other sites!
And for those keeping score:
I am officially ending the poor mans reef! Altogether it was just shy of 2k invested over the course of 7 months. And I have a sweet 125/55 system cycling!
I skimped and saved wherever I could(w/out sacrificing on the overall system), bought second hand, went to sales, shopped online for hours looking for the best deals, instead of the first one google showed me. It was a little hear and a little there, whatever I could afford at the time. I cut back whenever I could.
Believe me, there are places in our lives where we can say: no...its going to the reef fund! That movie you want to rent, that new video game you want to buy(Ive bought only 2 this year, *shock*), skipping out on friday night dinner/movies, water instead of juice or pop. It all adds up in amazing ways!
At any rate it was a grand adventure, but now the real challenge begins.

mma-guy

every day at the aquarium i go on collecting trips cuz we get fish from the gulf stream where i live! that means butterflies and puffers all day long... with the occaisional cowfish or sennet
anyway we make sure the temps are ok for our reefs every morning. we have had troubles in the past with our 400g refugium not pumping it was a nightmare

posiden

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3113264
I noticed some growth on the scrubber screen today. Odd since I haven't hooked up the lights yet. Its a reddish brown...diatom bloom beginning perhaps? Its just small hints,nothing thick yet. I personally just expected to see it in the sand and maybe even glass...but not the scrubber station.

This proves why a scrubber will grow algae and it wont spread to the display. Growing conditions are created as close to perfect on the screen, that's why.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3114145
This proves why a scrubber will grow algae and it wont spread to the display. Growing conditions are created as close to perfect on the screen, that's why.

it motivated me to get cracking on the scrubber. I just cut a pair of acrylic sheets to cover it, preventing splash on the lamps. I think tomorrow Ill mount the lamps in place.

king_neptune

another aptasia!!! little bugger popped up last night!!!
I need my paycheck SOON! i cant have this spreading.

[hr]
I took a series of new photos to show the work in progress.
Installed the reactor and tested it out. works great.

Installed an acrylic sheet over the scrubber to prevent splash on the lights when I hang them.

nothing fancy, just hanging by some shower curtain clips.
I got the basic shape of the system I will use to suspend the lights for the scrubber station. These are two 65w yard lights that light up a 500ft area, inside each is one of those is a compact fluorescent. Nice and bright!

And a series of shots of the over flow in action:

And finaly a shot of the first signs of diatom!!

Hard to make out, but its just beginning to brown. A full 3 days behind the scrubber station which wasn't even turned on.

happyfeet

Neptune I got a few questions for ya.
How is the surface skimming working out for you? I was thinking about setting something like that up. If you had to do it all over again would you do the surface skimming again or would you go with a different overflow?
With the scrubber are the lights necessary? Wouldn’t it work just fine with out them?
Also why did you opt to not have a refugium?
All in all your tank looks amazing! I plan to mimic some of it for my tank. Congratulations.

king_neptune

1a. Pulls nicely. A very thin layer comes across the top. obviously the strongest points are about 6" and closer, but from what Ive read and been told, there is alot more getting skimmed from further away then the nakd eye can see. So to answer that, yes, It does a great job.
1b. If I were to do it all over again...part of me wants to do the next build with a traditional over flow, part of me wants to try something else I got brewing based on a lot of Japanese style reefs Ive seen. Definitely this is something I didn't regret, but there are some things I didn't like about this:
- it was a pain to get it leveled right(well not too bad...but like 4 attempts till it was leveled each meant dumping the tank and re-filling it)
- getting a design that pulled even across the whole length took some trial and error. And repeated attempts, but the end result is a nice even pull thanks to the vertical slits doubling up near the center.
- the white bar will look tacky till I get it covered in polyups, and Coraline. And as such, I should have taken the time to fill it in with foam and coat it with epoxy/sand once I got it leveled...this would have really blended it in nicely. But I'm in uncharted areas, and wasn't sure if this bar was going to be coming out in the future...or staying in.
*note: I have entertained the idea that it might have been possible to do the foam wall DIRECTLY against the glass, making it sealed and blended into the overflow bar. But to do So I would have first had to been dam sure the overflow was leveled and glued in perfect. The only feasible way I could see that done would be to do the stand first, find out where it sits level with he water, then glue in the overflow perfectly level. Then break it all down, lay the tank on its side, and build the wall into the glass that way. Very complicated, but not impossible.
2. Yes absolutely! lights are a must. I was just surprised I got any algae buildup in the shadows under the stand, since I haven't wired in the lights yet. Considering I had the MH lights on 8hours or more a day, I didn't expect it to show up on the scrubber before the DT.
3. Who said anything about not having a fuge?
I got dual chambers in my sump. I can control the water flow to each side individually, I have plenty room for upgrades. And the ability to choose how fast/slow I want water to flow.
For starters Ill have about 30lbs of broken up LR directly under the scrubber station. The idea is pods will drop from the scrubber screen directly into the LR section. If needed , I can have a macro algae station in with the LR, or put it in the opposite side of the tank. Because I have so much room in my sump I have a lot of flexibility for future needs.
Right now its slow going because I can only buy so much at a time. This thing will grow over the years and I hope to keep everyone updated on all my success and failures.
Thanks for the compliments, and if you ever have any questions feel free to ask. I will always do my best to help.

happyfeet

I'm going back and fourth whether to incorporate a surface skimming design like you have or try something else. It looks god awful right now, but I feel it is pretty easy to make it look attractive. Also I was a little concerned about the shadow it’s going to cast on the back wall of the tank.
I think you said you moved your lights more towards the front of the tank so it might not be an issue.
With the scrubber I was just under the impression it didn't need a lot of light, maybe I had that backwards lol.
I have to admit when you started out I wasn't a fan, but I'm converted. Your foam wall turned out amazing. I remember thinking "Oh god it looks like a 3rd graders science fair project for recycling!" now I'm sitting here thinking... "no way I could do something like that!" I'm blown away.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Happyfeet
http:///forum/post/3115759
It looks god awful right now, but I feel it is pretty easy to make it look attractive. Also I was a little concerned about the shadow it’s going to cast on the back wall of the tank.
"Oh god it looks like a 3rd graders science fair project for recycling!" now I'm sitting here thinking... "no way I could do something like that!" I'm blown away.
Ya awful is right!

However, imagination i s needed to picture what it will look like 2/3 years from now, and it will look pretty nice, if I go slow and careful.
As for the shadow, its the camera. Maybe I can take a shot from a different angle. The computer translates the image digitally and doesn't always simulate what is really there, it took a slight pigmentation shift, and over did it, I could photoshop it to make it more accurate I suppose.
I promise the back all is not cast in some dark shadow

I could snap a side view of the light position in relation to the tank, to show they are directly over center and the beam falls nicely all the way down. I have however considered moving it forward, then tipping the angle slightly towards the back, if i get around to it, I will probably do this.
3rd grader

Ya it took some degree of faith, but I studied a good dozen foam builds before I committed to this. I don't want to brag too much, but honestly this one turned out significantly better than some of the others Ive seen. I think a major reason was my choosing to coat it with salt, then rinse and coat with epoxy and sand. Then adding several more layers of sand to blend it all in.
Like I said earlier, it takes imagination to see the over all long term project, but yo do it one step at a time I'm confidant you or anyone else can make a beautiful wall. Believe me when I say I have no artistic talent whatsoever. Stick figures are about as good as I can do.
barely.
Try to picture corals climbing all the way up! Its going to look amazing!

happyfeet

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3115723
- the white bar will look tacky till I get it covered in polyups, and Coraline. And as such, I should have taken the time to fill it in with foam and coat it with epoxy/sand once I got it leveled...this would have really blended it in nicely. But I'm in uncharted areas, and wasn't sure if this bar was going to be coming out in the future...or staying in.
*note: I have entertained the idea that it might have been possible to do the foam wall DIRECTLY against the glass, making it sealed and blended into the overflow bar. But to do So I would have first had to been dam sure the overflow was leveled and glued in perfect. The only feasible way I could see that done would be to do the stand first, find out where it sits level with he water, then glue in the overflow perfectly level. Then break it all down, lay the tank on its side, and build the wall into the glass that way. Very complicated, but not impossible.
I actually like this idea a lot. I'll probably try and incorporate it into my tank which is still on the drawing board.
Originally I was just going to paint the back wall. However, if I was able to hide the surface skimmer in it… I don’t think it would even need to be truly one piece. I could see decorating the PVC pipe in the same fashion as the wall, and then have a lip in the wall that the skimmer fits into. It doesn’t need to be perfect fit, but it would really allow you to level it with out having to tear everything down if you accidently got it wrong. (Did that make sense?)
I’m no artist but….

king_neptune

logistically feasible, but make sure you have you the stand built, and you put the tank in the exact spot it will be permanent. So you can see how the water level rises when its full...building everything square and level wont show all the imperfections you get in the final product...no matter how straight it is.
Set it up as if you were going to plumb it in, make sure the water matches up the PVC level and perfect, mark it, drain and Glue the PVC into place. Once its dried, tear it all down. Lay the tank on its side and build your foam wall directly into the glass. The main drawback is this is a permanent solution, and you only get one shot. The bonus is you have a one solid piece and therefore no chance of water flowing behind the wall, causing a risk of buildup.
If I were to do it over again, I would most likely do it this way. But I didn't have this kind of fore sight since I was in uncharted waters, and I didn't have the confidence of making it a permanent fixture...what if I was wrong? Then it would have been a major debacle.

mma-guy

i was wondering... what fish are u gonna end up putting in? i would recomend clownies if ur still a beginner because theyre pretty easy to take care of and they look really nice in a tank.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by MMA-Guy
http:///forum/post/3116890
i was wondering... what fish are u gonna end up putting in? i would recomend clownies if ur still a beginner because theyre pretty easy to take care of and they look really nice in a tank.
On the fish side! Ok all i have right now is:
1. A Powered Blue Tang(those browns look like barf!)
2. A purple Tang
3. Couple Blennies...not sure which..something pretty.(ideas?)
4. A couple Gobies.(ideas?)
5. A single Pistol shrimp to go with the gobies.
6. Some assorted wrasses.(maybe 3 or 4)
7. When it is matured nicely I'll have a Mandrin. Love em!
Thats 10-11 fish, most of which are small, so im confidant I can add more than that.
=========================================
A maxima clam...blue.
Tons of coral, mainly SPS/LPS and some mixed others.
A few anemones.
==================================
For CuC:
1. Assorted snails, about a dozen total.(Ideas please)
2. Few more shrimp for the CuC...probably a pair of cleaner shrimp, and maybe a skunk or two.
3. Pair of emerald crabs(maybe as much as 3 later on when tank matures).
4. A sally lightfoot crab.
5. Pompom Crab.