New 10g Nano, ideas please!!

patrick8929

well I'm a veteran rookie so to speak, its been a year or more between this tank and my last. I am going to make sure i do this one right. I haven't decided what i am going to do with this tank yet tho. i would love to have it dedicated to 2 clowns and an anemone. I have a nova extreme pro T5 HO lighting system so im pretty much good to go for just about and corals and light intensive creatures. Give me idea let me know what i should do with it!
thanks

patrick8929

well ill be the first to reply to myself lol. I know for sure i want a cleaner shrimp. about 5-10 snails. no hermits. i would really like a yellow watchman. ill probably end up with 10-15 lbs of live rock. for the most part i want easy to take care but still good looking coral. in the past i have had zoas, and other various soft corals and some lps as well. thats probably what i will stick to with this tank. unless i do the clown and anemone dedicated tank.

gemmy

I'm not a fan of the yellow watchman gobies. Why not do a yasha goby/ pistol shrimp combo? I like the clown gobies or the green banded gobies.

patrick8929

ill actually probably get a gold headed sleeper gobbie my lfs has a few good looking ones. and it has very few everything so thats probably what ill stick with. my gf has pretty much narrowed it down to being a nice little nano reef. so various corals a couple good looking fish and im just gunna try and keep it as nice and clean s possible

patrick8929

they also have a couple awesome looking mandarin dragonets. i have heard they are not the easiest fish to keep tho. is this true?

gemmy

Please, do not get a golden headed sleeper goby. It will not last long in the tank, they will decimate the fauna in the sand bed, destroy the corals by dumping sand all over the place and there are much better suited fish for a 10 gallon.

snakeblitz33

Mandarins are definitely not a veteran rookie fish. They are very hard to take care of, even in larger, more established aquariums. It is possible to keep one in such a small tank if your sump contains a huge refugium and/or algae scrubber.
If you really want to do it right, look into drilling your aquarium. There's a glass holes kit that you can buy for like $45 and it comes with the overflow, bulkhead, glass bit, template etc. . If you are going to do some high intensive light coral, you're going to need an awesome filtration system or plan on doing some scheduled water changes.
Here's a pic of a 10g tank that a college student over on RC has. His handle is RockRyno. He won nTOTM this month I think.

Here is his equipment and stock list.
Equipment:
Tank: standard 10 gal
Filter: AC70 modded with a Nano-Glo LED fuge light w/ custom overflow
Heater: Rena 100w Smartheater
Light: DIY 36w LED array. Using 3w Cree LEDs (8 blue, 4 neutral white) both colors dimmable.
Livestock:

Fish - red Mandarin
Inverts:
the usual snails (no crabs)
red Bali starfish
sea apple
Crocea clam
Corals:
From Left to right: duncans
frogspawn
mohawk zoas
orange yuma
meteor sower hyphastrea
purple deaths
blue ricordea
rainbow acans
idaho grape monti
orange monti
fuzzy green mushroom
bubble coral
forest fire branching monti
blue tipped millipora
eagle eye zoas
ponape birdsnest
green birdsnest
bonsai acro
GSP
GB packer zoas
flower petal monti
fire and ice zoas
neon green candy cane
bird of paradise birdsnest
orange ricordea

patrick8929

alright well all my hopes and dreams have been shot down, haha. im not gunna do any drilling. when i say do it right i mean do it right and simple at the same time. im not in a permanent residence and this is just a little project. i do want it to look nice tho. if there is some kind of overflow that can go in the tank, is easy to set up and fairly cheap i can probably do that. anyways. i guess a goby of any kind is out of the question. what is a couple of nice fish for a 10 g tank?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick8929 http:///t/389492/new-10g-nano-ideas-please#post_3442885
alright well all my hopes and dreams have been shot down, haha. im not gunna do any drilling. when i say do it right i mean do it right and simple at the same time. im not in a permanent residence and this is just a little project. i do want it to look nice tho. if there is some kind of overflow that can go in the tank, is easy to set up and fairly cheap i can probably do that. anyways. i guess a goby of any kind is out of the question. what is a couple of nice fish for a 10 g tank?
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy
http:///t/389492/new-10g-nano-ideas-please#post_3442845
I'm not a fan of the yellow watchman gobies. Why not do a yasha goby/ pistol shrimp combo? I like the clown gobies or the green banded gobies.

patrick8929

i like clown obies. my main problem is my lfs sucks. so im very limited in what i can do. i might just get a couple clowns and pack it with coral.

S

smallreef

yea,, if your not happy with the stock or practices of your LFS then order online..
Ive only ever got one fish from here and it did fine... plus many online retailers have great guarantees

snakeblitz33

lol, you can get an external overflow from Eshopps. They make pretty good external overflow systems. I have one on my 20g tank. The overflow itself is about $40, and a little Rio 1400 is about $28 for a nice little cheap return pump. A little 10g tank is cheap, and glass to baffle it is even cheaper. An ASM mini g skimmer can fit really well in a 10g... or even a Tunze nano skimmer. The ASM is about $120 and the Tunze nano is about $150, and both do a really awesome job of keeping your water clean and clear.
Doing a little project like this can take all the time in the world. I'm not in a permanent residence either, and I only have a 20g tank running. So, I know exactly what you mean.
As far as not having any gobies... that's not true. You can have a blue or gold neon goby pair. Those are pretty cool to watch. They also readily take frozen foods and some flake. But, you might be better off getting a pair of pico clowns. It just all depends on the way you want it to look.
There's also cardinals that can fit into smaller tanks. But, in a 10g tank, you are really limited to the kind of fish that you can have.

snakeblitz33

You can request first morning delivery and hope it gets to your house before work. You can also maybe have it delivered to work, so you know that it's safe and out of the weather. You could have it delivered to your girlfriends house so that she can acclimate them and put them in the tank if she is off work. You could get Saturday delivery if you are off on Saturdays. There's all kinds of ways that you can get your fish in the mail.
I have one LFS near me, but everything that I have bought from over there dies. :( so, I end up ordering everything online anyways. There are ways to work around it!

patrick8929

yea i do need to look into getting a skimmer. id rather not spend that much money on one but i know they can be expensive. and yea that my problem. the place im at said im limited to a 10 gallon. if that wasnt the case id probably save up for a 20g and do something a little nicer. im gunna keep researching and looking around for fish. a lot of the fish side of things is up to my gf because she wants to "help" pick it out

patrick8929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389492/new-10g-nano-ideas-please#post_3442901
You can request first morning delivery and hope it gets to your house before work. You can also maybe have it delivered to work, so you know that it's safe and out of the weather. You could have it delivered to your girlfriends house so that she can acclimate them and put them in the tank if she is off work. You could get Saturday delivery if you are off on Saturdays. There's all kinds of ways that you can get your fish in the mail.
I have one LFS near me, but everything that I have bought from over there dies. :( so, I end up ordering everything online anyways. There are ways to work around it!
awesome! well i guess ill get my online shopping list ready to go then

snakeblitz33

I'm tellin' you right now that the more you spend on a skimmer, the better it will be. Do not skimp on your skimmer choice. If you do, you'll end up throwing the old one away and actually buying one that works. Then you really will be throwing money away. lol
There's always the possibility of DIYing your own algae scrubber in a tote or 5.5g glass aquarium that will have just as much, if not better, filtration than a skimmer. Especially for a 10g tank. You would just have to keep up on maintenance and change your light bulbs out once every 3 months. Anyways, just something to think about.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, Gemmy, that's also a great idea. I have done that before as well. The women there at the desk always look at my packages funny. Then, you can just go get them when you get off, and know that they are in good hands and out of the weather.
I've also picked up my livestock at the airport before. :D