New 28G Nano Cube for Horses :)

meowzer

IDK Flower.....This rock was in a tub for weeks....would think I would have seen something....AND as much as I watch the tank, surely I would spot something
WTH could possibly kill a SH that fast overnight anyway
Like I said....the horse was fine the night before...and then dead the next morning...absolutely no signs of foul play. Horse looked 100% perfect...just dead

I just think I will care for my last one, and leave it this way. IF (hopefully) it survives, it will have the tank all to itself.

teresaq

What if any products are you using in the tank. Is there any way you can check oxygen levels. How is your last horse breathing..

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/680#post_3418813
IDK Flower.....This rock was in a tub for weeks....would think I would have seen something....AND as much as I watch the tank, surely I would spot something
WTH could possibly kill a SH that fast overnight anyway
Like I said....the horse was fine the night before...and then dead the next morning...absolutely no signs of foul play. Horse looked 100% perfect...just dead

I just think I will care for my last one, and leave it this way. IF (hopefully) it survives, it will have the tank all to itself.
Who was it that said they lost horses to aptasia stings, did the horse show signs when it was stung? I noticed a red serpent star in my SH tank...it's still in there, I couldn't get it out. I'm going to try and trap it then transfer it to the 90g...but I wonder what a danger he was? I was told he was not safe at all with them.
There are so many critters inside those rocks...the guy with the 4 foot huge bobbit worm, he didn't find it until the last rock, and it came out while he lifted the rock. If that thing can hide and he never noticed it, just the eaten coral, and he was looking for it...who knows what got the horses.
If God forbid, you should lose that last one, or if he gets sick and needs to be in the QT again...I would go hunting.
They are too awesome to not have them. I know you love and enjoy them as much as I do.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/680#post_3418816
What if any products are you using in the tank. Is there any way you can check oxygen levels. How is your last horse breathing..
I used red slime remover 2x a while back...I now have 2 nano powerheads, and one airline, and the protein skimmer. Temps run at 69/70
I add nothing else, and do water changes weekly. I use carbon in the filter also.
No gasping at all...the last horse seems fine....as did all the others. That is the mystery of it all.....AND when I find them, they just look like they are sleeping. I checked the little one really good this time too...NOTHING...looked perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///t/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/680#post_3418818
Who was it that said they lost horses to aptasia stings, did the horse show signs when it was stung? I noticed a red serpent star in my SH tank...it's still in there, I couldn't get it out. I'm going to try and trap it then transfer it to the 90g...but I wonder what a danger he was? I was told he was not safe at all with them.
There are so many critters inside those rocks...the guy with the 4 foot huge bobbit worm, he didn't find it until the last rock, and it came out while he lifted the rock. If that thing can hide and he never noticed it, just the eaten coral, and he was looking for it...who knows what got the horses.
If God forbid, you should lose that last one, or if he gets sick and needs to be in the QT again...I would go hunting.
They are too awesome to not have them. I know you love and enjoy them as much as I do.
I have not seen any aptasia in this tank.....only thing I have ever seen is a bristle worm.
TERESA...can a bristle worm kill a horse instantly???? andthen wouldn't it try to eat it??

teresaq

if they snick them, they get the brissles stuck in thier snouts. they would thrash and not be able to eat. because of thier closed gill system, I am thinking more on the line of low oxygen.
T

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/680#post_3418883
if they snick them, they get the brissles stuck in thier snouts. they would thrash and not be able to eat. because of thier closed gill system, I am thinking more on the line of low oxygen.
T
I don't see how I could have low oxygen
...and nobody ever gasped....EVER....and you are saying with low oxygen there wold be no signs??? Fine one minute......dead the next

teresaq

Yes, that or some sort of toxin. Thats how I lost my last three. Fine one min, then just got stiff and died. I know mine was oxygen and toxin though. yours, I have no clue.

flower

Just tossing this out there...when I used phosphate X, there was a warning that it would lower the oxygen in the tank. Do you run the phosphate reactor on this tank? Could that gizmo lower oxygen?

meowzer

Well Teresa, HOW do you find out? I mean I have 3 green banded gobies that are doing great.....even spawning

Flower, the phosphate reactor is on the 225G

teresaq

I think because horses have a closed gill system, they are more subseptable to low oxygen. But then I again I am prob completely wrong. lol
when you put the slime remover in, how did they react. How many water changes have you done?? It has to be something. lol I have over crowded algea tanks and have not had any problems except when I addded the flat worm exit.

meowzer

After adding the stuff, they never acted any differently..and I was very careful about adding the right amount..I do weekly water changes on this tank too
IDK what to look for or test for

bugsman

Sorry to hear about your horses. A friend of mine and I were just talking about setting up a seahorse tank in the future. Kind of gives me second thoughts. Hope this last one stays well.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsman http:///t/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/680#post_3419149
Sorry to hear about your horses. A friend of mine and I were just talking about setting up a seahorse tank in the future. Kind of gives me second thoughts. Hope this last one stays well.
Meowzer has had her problems, so true and sad.... but erectus sea horses are pretty easy to care for (if they are captive bred and eat frozen mysis) I purchased my 4 sea horses before Meowzer...all are still doing just fine. Bad stuff happens to us all, but don't judge the fish as not something you can do. If I can keep them alive, they are hardy and as easy to care for as any saltwater fish. The hardest thing is that they can only be with certain tank mates. Of all the fish I have ever had, sea horses are the most awesome, they even eat from a feeding dish like puppies.
So if you like them...I recommend you set up that Sea horse tank.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/680#post_3419154
Meowzer has had her problems, so true and sad.... but erectus sea horses are pretty easy to care for (if they are captive bred and eat frozen mysis) I purchased my 4 sea horses before Meowzer...all are still doing just fine. Bad stuff happens to us all, but don't judge the fish as not something you can do. If I can keep them alive, they are hardy and as easy to care for as any saltwater fish. The hardest thing is that they can only be with certain tank mates. Of all the fish I have ever had, sea horses are the most awesome, they even eat from a feeding dish like puppies.
So if you like them...I recommend you set up that Sea horse tank.

Yeah...don't make any choices about having them from my bad luck...LOL they are marvelous creatures.

gemmy

This is a long stretch but did you start having loses before or after the gobies started spawning?

gemmy

I'm wondering if the spawning could have negatively affected the water quality and had an impact of the horses.